Motorola Xoom Tablet

Tywais

I noticed the Galaxy Tab has dropped to 18500 Baht, sales lady says new one is on the way. Mind you Thai sales people are often clueless. I went to a large Mitsubishi dealer in Bangkok to inquire about the new Pajero Sport. Sales lady said no make only imports from Japan, 1 month later they were in their showroom.

I have a problem with Android OS. The flow, feel and overal user friendliness.

I tested it on Glaxy Tab and compared to iOS (that Im indeed spoiled by) on my iPhone, Android imo is not even half way there yet. Defienetly not on slates.

Im no Apple fanboy. Definetly not with jailbroken iPhone and all the problems and bullshit that go with it. But the Galaxy was jerky, choppy, bugy, chaotic experience.

still no GPS....so we keep waiting! cool.gif

Both the Motoroal Xoom and Samsung Galaxy Tab have GPS. Can you clarify your comment?

GPS AND LOCATION SERVICES1, eCompass, aGPS (assisted) with Google Maps™, Google Latitude™, Google Maps Street View, barometer

I tested it on Glaxy Tab and compared to iOS (that Im indeed spoiled by) on my iPhone, Android imo is not even half way there yet. Defienetly not on slates.

Im no Apple fanboy. Definetly not with jailbroken iPhone and all the problems and bullshit that go with it. But the Galaxy was jerky, choppy, bugy, chaotic experience.

I think we need to see Android 3.0 (Honeycomb) running before we write off the 2nd generation of Android Tablets. Personally I find almost any Apple product immensely user unfriendly, with the most counter-intuitive UI's, features and functions. But I am a very happy owner of AAPL so love that there are so many loyal Apple adherents.

It's a matter of what you're used to. I am very happy with Android, and find iOS quite irritating to use by comparison. I didn't find the Galaxy tab choppy or buggy at all, it worked very well for me.

Safari on the iPad => :bah:

Edit: Sounds like there will be a new iPad announcement tomorrow. It will be wonderful to see if Steve Jobs has once again cleverly anticipated our needs and added forward-looking features such as a USB port and card slot.

Edited by Crushdepth

The Xoom won the best new product award at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas 2 months ago. But Motorola abandoned Thailand a few years ago when their phones became uncompetitive. They now have plans to come back into Thailand, but I don't know when that will be, sooner or later. You can order a Xoom and have it sent to Thailand here - http://intlo.com/. You'll also see they're already shipping the new Ipad2.

The new Samsung should be out in another month. There's also a larger screen option that competes directly with the Ipad in screen size.

Ipad - closed proprietary - everything must go through Itunes to be put on Ipad, photos, music, everything. Can't load directly

Samsung Android - open - can load directly onto your tablet.

I'll be getting either the new Samsung Tab or the Xoom.

• 4 weeks later...

I am very interested in the Xoom and it's all I can do to keep from ordering it now (I have a couple friends returning for visits to the US). The availability of an SD card (even though it's not enabled with this OS release) is a main factor over the iPad. The reason I don't get it, besides shying away from brand new product (or software) releases, is about support. If there is a problem, I don't want to have to send it back to the US for repair/warranty service.

Does Motorola have an authorized repair center in Thailand? If I'm not mistaken, this is not the Motorola that handles the phones. I believe they split into two separate companies a few years ago, so being able to get a phone serviced here may not be good enough. I've sent Motorola an email asking the question, but I have not received an answer. If anybody knows for sure, please let us know. If I hear back from Motorola, I'll post the answer.

Thanks.

Tony

I think we need to see Android 3.0 (Honeycomb) running before we write off the 2nd generation of Android Tablets. Personally I find almost any Apple product immensely user unfriendly, with the most counter-intuitive UI's, features and functions. But I am a very happy owner of AAPL so love that there are so many loyal Apple adherents.

You mean user unfriendly to the 30-something year old IT/computer geek who wants to hack-the-shit out of everything electronic he/she owns. As far as Apple iOS not being intuitive, there are videos on youtube of 2 yr olds using an iPad like they were born with it in their hands. As far as iOS and OSX not being intuitive to adults, you can blame that on years of M$ Windows use...as the average user shouldn't need to be burdened with regedits, drivers, dlls, uninstallers etc.

But kudos on the AAPL. Still kicking myself for selling my shares at $213. I can't even look at it nowadays.

I have a brand new Moto Xoom for sale. US Verizon version.

New In box, screen scratch protector installed as well.

30k baht or best offer.

PM me if interested. I am in pattaya ...

Cheers,

luudee

I have a brand new Moto Xoom for sale. US Verizon version.

New In box, screen scratch protector installed as well.

30k baht or best offer.

PM me if interested. I am in pattaya ...

Cheers,

luudee

Is it not posible to buy it in shops ?

Looks very hot, but needs to come down in price, now you can get an Ipad 1 for under 13,000 baht. Not saying I'd buy an Ipad, ever - I don't like the platform - but they set the price point. Also, a tablet surely is cheaper to produce than a netbook, and those can be had for under 10,000 baht. It's a matter of time....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOPookk57jk&feature=related

• 2 months later...

i feel this has pushed ipad aside but yes i have to agree its too expensive as per its cost i believe the quality has to be there too (as we all know motorola had so far taken innovative steps in creating slimmy and compact gadgets so quality wise i wont doubt). Well as compared to other competitor tablets like samsung galaxy tab, lg Optimus pad and bb playbook, motorola xoom has got much more but i wont say its superior coz newly asus transformer is on terms with it and i feel it shouldn't be underestimated. :)

So far i have been highly impressed by what xoom offers ie 3.0 honeycomb android with futuristic interface, tegra 2 processor with 2MP video call camera on the front and a 5MP primary camera at back and as compared to apple ipad that has hyped so many individuals, xoom has got lots more and definitely it will crush ipad. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

I have a Wifi Xoom that i bought in the U.S. that i am bringing to Thailand next week.

What i am really looking for is a GSM Xoom. I understand from a friend there that they have arrived. Does anyone have a GSM Xoom there, and if so is it capable of picking up the TOT 3g, or is it separate. Also, does anyone have the GSM Xoom Specs ??

Regards. BD

• 1 month later...

You mean user unfriendly to the 30-something year old IT/computer geek who wants to hack-the-shit out of everything electronic he/she owns.

Another fanboy that simply can't accept that other people don't feel act and like the exact same things they do so somehow they must be damaged.. I am neither a 30 something IT geek OR do I want to hack anything and I can't stand the interface or usability of the iPhone had one got rid of it much happier with my droid thanks.

As far as Apple iOS not being intuitive, there are videos on youtube of 2 yr olds using an iPad like they were born with it in their hands.

Really? What are those 2 year olds doing with the iPad I mean they are actually doing something productive right? Or what would be the point that they can spin it around and watch screen turn or they can swipe a button? Seriously show me some of these links I am sure it would be great to watch them working away like happy little drones.

As far as iOS and OSX not being intuitive to adults, you can blame that on years of M$ Windows use...as the average user shouldn't need to be burdened with regedits, drivers, dlls, uninstallers etc.

*SIGH* really that is your argument? Different people learn in different ways and process information in different ways not everyone loves Apple products, honestly just accept it people are allowed to like things that you don't and vice versa. It doesn't make you any less a man. The average user doesn't have anything to do with regedits, dlls etc..etc... unless they are still running Windows 95 come on man give it up let go...

But kudos on the AAPL. Still kicking myself for selling my shares at $213. I can't even look at it nowadays.

Why did you give up on your God?