Why Bother Learning A Foreign Language?

rijb

A phone app that can translate 'conversations' might be viable in the near future. Will it negate most reasons to learn a foreign language? Is this an omen for foreign language teachers? What are the implications for travelers and expats?

video

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smoke and mirrors. Using the best voice dictation program available with a fast computer and a high grade microphone and after having "trained" the program to recognise your speech characteristics its just about possible to get decent results in one language alone. The application in the video uses Google voice recognition and Google Translate. Below is an example of Google translate I posted on another thread, now throw in the complexities of voice recognition, multiplying it by X when dealing with a tonal language and see how far away we are. Click thumbnail to enlarge.

post-7438-0-11634900-1298544720_thumb.pn

Edited by roamer

Even the most optimistic futurists would not suggest that it is time to start thinking along those lines for at least another 30-40 years.

However, by then I would say it is plausible that we'll be able to communicate over human language barriers with reasonable efficiency without actual knowledge of the other person's language, with the help of machines (which will in many cases be integrated in ourselves or even feel like parts of ourselves - nanotech, biotech and AI means we will be able to create biological machines and integrate AI modules and internet connectivity (or similar but better) in ourselves). Basically we will all have permanent unlimited access to all available human knowledge, like Google in our heads - that does not mean we will understand all of it, however...

Anyways, the pieces of the puzzle are already there, it is just a question of how fast it will happen, and whether we can make it there without blowing ourselves up first.

Even if the program worked 100%. There will still be many advantages to learning the language, like not having to talk to a computer while having a conversation, understanding what people are saying around you, getting a real feel for the language as a lot of words can't be translated accurately using English.

This phone app would be usefull but I would be unsatisfied using it the whole time, wouldn't it be easier to learn the language?

Even the most optimistic futurists would not suggest that it is time to start thinking along those lines for at least another 30-40 years.

However, by then I would say it is plausible that we'll be able to communicate over human language barriers with reasonable efficiency without actual knowledge of the other person's language, with the help of machines (which will in many cases be integrated in ourselves or even feel like parts of ourselves - nanotech, biotech and AI means we will be able to create biological machines and integrate AI modules and internet connectivity (or similar but better) in ourselves). Basically we will all have permanent unlimited access to all available human knowledge, like Google in our heads - that does not mean we will understand all of it, however...

Anyways, the pieces of the puzzle are already there, it is just a question of how fast it will happen, and whether we can make it there without blowing ourselves up first.

Are you referring to technological singularity (predicted for 2045)? I hope I can live that long! unsure.gif

Smoke and mirrors. Using the best voice dictation program available with a fast computer and a high grade microphone and after having "trained" the program to recognise your speech characteristics its just about possible to get decent results in one language alone. The application in the video uses Google voice recognition and Google Translate. Below is an example of Google translate I posted on another thread, now throw in the complexities of voice recognition, multiplying it by X when dealing with a tonal language and see how far away we are. Click thumbnail to enlarge.

Menstrual you say? I've been convinced for years that my computers have a time of the month. The laptop and desktop even seem to have got weirdly in phase somehow.

been all over the world and never needed to speak any language other than English.

There are various computer languages that are worth knowing.

I always struggled with languages. In high school I was required to take Spanish and Latin. My grandmother spoke only German at home and my grandfather when drunk prattled on in Gaelic. My oldest daughter married and moved to Quebec and everyone spoke in her home spoke French. I was a young grandfather due to a youthful indiscretion and realized French speaking strippers responded better when I spoke French. My second daughter went to college in Japan and that further propelled my families multi language skills. It did not strike me as odd learning Thai and Lao while trying to teach Thai children the vagaries of English.

My personal struggle against old age has been assisted by learning Thai and hanging around with young Thai people.

However I would encourage your one language attitude. Less competition for me. I don't care how young and good looking you are. Women are addicted to communication. More than big muscles or a full head of hair women need to talk.

I don't mean to imply I speak fluent Thai because I don't. I was in a Thai hospital full of Thai people who did not speak English. I knew how to say in Thai "stomach, explode and now" (appendicitis). I kept yelling “stomach explode now” in a loud voice. It got me to the head of the line.

I've been studying the Thai language for a little over two years, really more as a hobby since I live in Chiang Mai where a westerner can exist nicely without knowing Thai. Also, I'm married to a westerner, so I have no chance to use Thai at home. So, my conversation skills are poor, but my reading and listening skills are good. It's become fun to be able to read the Thai subtitles on movies without an English soundtrack, to understand announcements in the grocery store and train station and to listen-in on the daily conversations of Thai people. Also, in learning to read Thai, I'm using some of the same books as Thai school kids so I'm learning much about the history, traditions, and natural science of the country. Plus, they say that learning a foreign language helps us older people to remain mentally fit. Learning Thai has enriched my life in many ways.

I don't mean to imply I speak fluent Thai because I don't. I was in a Thai hospital full of Thai people who did not speak English. I knew how to say in Thai "stomach, explode and now" (appendicitis). I kept yelling “stomach explode now” in a loud voice. It got me to the head of the line.

Hope it was the line for the operating theatre and not the lavatory. :rolleyes:

So what you are basically saying is that odd shaped computer that we have sitting on top of our shoulders is still faster and better than the best man made computer known. It's going to be a while before we catch up. And even longer before we can afford one.:D

been all over the world and never needed to speak any language other than English.

I always struggled with languages. In high school I was required to take Spanish and Latin. My grandmother spoke only German at home and my grandfather when drunk prattled on in Gaelic. My oldest daughter married and moved to Quebec and everyone spoke in her home spoke French. I was a young grandfather due to a youthful indiscretion and realized French speaking strippers responded better when I spoke French. My second daughter went to college in Japan and that further propelled my families multi language skills. It did not strike me as odd learning Thai and Lao while trying to teach Thai children the vagaries of English.

My personal struggle against old age has been assisted by learning Thai and hanging around with young Thai people.

However I would encourage your one language attitude. Less competition for me. I don't care how young and good looking you are. Women are addicted to communication. More than big muscles or a full head of hair women need to talk.

I don't mean to imply I speak fluent Thai because I don't. I was in a Thai hospital full of Thai people who did not speak English. I knew how to say in Thai "stomach, explode and now" (appendicitis). I kept yelling "stomach explode now" in a loud voice. It got me to the head of the line.

I always had you down as a cunning linguist Mark.

I had to demonstrate competency in a 2nd language as a requirement for one of my graduate diplomas. Had I not, I think me dad would have asked me for a refund on the tuition, beaten me, and made me pursue a military career. :) So I think the "bother" was worth it.

Besides, back when I wasa lad and could seduce ladies, that 2nd langage came in handy. Somehow I don't think a phone app is going to add the same omantic touch once one is getting frisky in the bed chamber. What's a guy going to do? Oh hang on luv while I call you on the phone and explain what I want to do. :lol:

I read that texting is the number one reason teens get a phone. They believe texting is easier and faster than voice and email. In addition, teen usage of 'smarter' phone apps (Facebook, gaming, etc.) is growing very fast. Does that mean teens are more open to 'smart' language apps (whenever they become viable) and even less inclined to learning a second language?

Good for you, but wouldn't it be better to talk to people in their own language when you're in their country?

This is not a popular view in Bradford, Southall and Tower Hamlets in the UK.  I understand that the most common language in use in Florida these days is Spanish and I have heard that is not easy to find a taxi driver in NYC that understands English - or the US version of it.  

English is the second language in LoS and as I am considered a second class citizen (or worse) I feel that I am unworthy to use the language of the superior beings native to these parts. In these technological times it is necessary to have a grasp of the language of those bringing forth new innovations and concepts unless of course you follow the French example and invent new French words. Is there any more descriptive language than English with so many synonyms to express shades of meaning? Is there such a thing as a Thai thesaurus?  

We retirees recognise that by the time we are at a conversational level in such a basic language we may well be carted off to the wat and sent up a chimney i.e. it would be a pointless exercise. Furthermore what would provide the greater benefits to communication in Thailand? Thai? Lao? Khmer? I choose to spend some of my time teaching the younger members of my family good English as I feel that that is a better use of the time I have left.  

If I were a young stripling I would give due consideration to learning Chinese rather than Thai. I feel the payback would be far greater.

Good for you, but wouldn't it be better to talk to people in their own language when you're in their country?

This is not a popular view in Bradford, Southall and Tower Hamlets in the UK.  I understand that the most common language in use in Florida these days is Spanish and I have heard that is not easy to find a taxi driver in NYC that understands English - or the US version of it.  

English is the second language in LoS and as I am considered a second class citizen (or worse) I feel that I am unworthy to use the language of the superior beings native to these parts. In these technological times it is necessary to have a grasp of the language of those bringing forth new innovations and concepts unless of course you follow the French example and invent new words. Is there any more descriptive language than English with so many synonyms to express shades of meaning? Is there such a thing as a Thai thesaurus?  

We retirees recognise that by the time we are at a conversational level in such a basic language we may well be carted off to the wat and sent up a chimney i.e. it would be a pointless exercise. Furthermore what would provide the greater benefits to communication in Thailand? Thai? Lao? Khmer? I choose to spend some of my time teaching the younger members of my family good English as I feel that that is a better use of the time I have left.  

If I were a young stripling I would give due consideration to learning Chinese rather than Thai. I feel the payback would be far greater.

I lived in South Florida for 20 years. English is still the dominant language. Miami? I don't know.

Didn't go there much. Most of the Spanish speaking people who work in Florida speak OK English in my experience.

As far as us old guys go and learning another language at an advanced age, I was reading the other day about people who learn one or two more languages being less likely to contract Alzheimer's or the onset of Alzheimer's being at a later age.

It seems the brain of bilingual or trilingual people is working much more than people who speak in a single language. This has also been my experience with posters on Thai Visa.

... English is the second language in LoS ...

I doubt that one, but am ready to stand corrected if the statement is supported by proper source. I suspect Chinese might be the one that deserves the the... Besides, to many native Citizens, Thai-language itself would be a second language. We don't even have to go to Issan for that. My wife is from Phrae and her native tongue certainly isn't Thai.

... English is the second language in LoS ...

I doubt that one, but am ready to stand corrected if the statement is supported by proper source. I suspect Chinese might be the one that deserves the the... Besides, to many native Citizens, Thai-language itself would be a second language. We don't even have to go to Issan for that. My wife is from Phrae and her native tongue certainly isn't Thai.

Perhaps one should look at where the really important people in Thailand were born.