Thai PM Abhisit Says He May Be British

webfact

Thai PM says he may be British

BANGKOK, February 24, 2011 (AFP) - Thailand's prime minister said Thursday that he may also be British, acknowledging claims by opponents trying to use the issue to bring him before the International Criminal Court.

But the British-born Abhisit Vejjajiva said he considered himself Thai and had not sought to benefit from dual citizenship.

"Now if I travel to England I need to ask for a visa. It is clear that I intend to hold Thai citizenship. Whether that means I hold dual citizenship or not, that's a legal issue," he said in response to questioning in parliament.

According to the British Home Office's UK Border Agency, anyone born in Britain before January 1 1983 is "almost certainly a British citizen".

The only exception is a person born to certain diplomatic staff of foreign missions who had diplomatic immunity, it says on its website.

Abhisit, the scion of an influential family, attended Britain's elite Eton College where he was reportedly known to his friends as "Mark Vejj".

Thailand's anti-government "Red Shirt" movement has asked the International Criminal Court to investigate possible crimes against humanity committed under his government during deadly street clashes in Bangkok last year.

Although Thailand has not ratified the Rome Statute that created the ICC, the Reds have argued that Abhisit could be held to account by the body if he is a citizen of Britain, which is a signatory of the pact.

About 90 people died in clashes between protesters and armed troops during the two-month Red Shirt demonstration, which ended in May 2010 with a deadly military crackdown.

Robert Amsterdam, a London-based representative for the movement, filed a petition last month requesting that ICC prosecutors launch a preliminary investigation relating to "potential crimes against humanity".

Amsterdam cited in particular the alleged use of snipers and the firing of live ammunition by the army during last year's violence.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-02-24

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Reds have argued that Abhisit could be held to account by the body if he is a citizen of Britain, which is a signatory of the pact"

Is Montenigro a signatory ?.....if so then may be the PM can file a petition for investigation of crimes against humanity for another "famous" dual national from Thailand and they can stand in the dock together....:whistling:

IMHO the reds are grasping at straws.

^^^It is the crux because if there were a statute ( and hopefully somebody can provide one showing one way or the other) that a government minister, member of parliament or whatever must be a Thai citizen only then that would mean that the PM is in his position illegally which would be an almighty fugazi making Amsterdam's case look like small potatoes.

Edited by mca

if he was a Brit, even half a Brit, why would he have to get a visa to go to his own country? I don't need a visa to go to the US. I know plenty of people with dual Canadian citizen-ships and they don't need visas. How is starting a riot in Bangkok and burning property resulting in deaths not a crime. You start a riot, I as the government have to protect the people's right to a safe country. Some of the riot-teers get killed, and it's another I'm wrong but you are wrong for preventing me from doing what was wrong. So the wrong people got hurt, the businesses were wronged and suffered. This is the wrong issue to be following. <_<

if he was a Brit, even half a Brit, why would he have to get a visa to go to his own country?

As a member of the government, I believe he probably has a diplomatic passport, which gives him free visas, and I'm pretty sure a separate channel through immigration, rather than having to pay for a UK passport.

Admittedly, if he is British, I think he should be entering the UK using a British passport or with a vignette in his foreign passport stating that he has right of abode, rather than a regular visa, so if he is using regular visas it may be breaking UK immigration rules. (I'm just not sure if that's only a requirement after you've received a UK passport. Not 100% it's a requirement if you didn't apply for one.)

Admittedly, if he is British, and went to school in the UK, his parents lost out badly when they paid overseas fees as he'd have been resident in the UK the required number of years for, at the time, fees paid by the local education authority.

There goes the election.

:)

How do you figure?

Thais are extremely nationalistic. Can see his British citizenship being a factor turning voters away from him.

Of course if there were any credible opposition still not yet dismantled by the courts as the Dems should surely have been themselves then they wouldn't have a snowball's chance in Hell in any election.

The Bitter Medicine and thoroughly corrupt Chuan Leekpai administration took care of that over 10 years ago.

There goes the election.

:)

How do you figure?

Thais are extremely nationalistic. Can see his British citizenship being a factor turning voters away from him.

Of course if there were any credible opposition still not yet dismantled by the courts as the Dems should surely have been themselves then they wouldn't have a snowball's chance in Hell in any election.

The Bitter Medicine and thoroughly corrupt Chuan Leekpai administration took care of that over 10 years ago.

None of these antics from the red shirt "lawyer" have rocked Abhisit's support base as far as I can tell.

There'll be an election ;)

/edit - has becoming a Montenegrin damaged Mr T's popularity?

Edited by Insight

Everyone already knows he was born and grew up in the UK. Do you think him maybe "technically" having British citizenship will make a difference?

Montenegrin citizenship (that was actively applied for) of course has no such negative impact at the polls

Edited by DP25

Abhisit has never won a general election so this will be new territory for him.

As I said previously if there were any credible opposition whatsoever the Dems would lose.

Will his citizenship be a factor? Absolutely, how big a factor we'll need to wait and see.

/edit - has becoming a Montenegrin damaged Mr T's popularity?

He wasn't born, raised and educated in Montenegro though, nor has he been evasive with the truth when confronted over it as Abhisit has. Many will see Thaksin's other citizenships as hiving been forced upon him, not so of Abhisit.

About 90 people died in clashes between protesters and armed troops during the two-month Red Shirt demonstration, which ended in May 2010 with a deadly military crackdown.

Conveniently leaving out the part where the red shirt "demonstrations" burned down half of Bangkok, grenaded the BTS and shot a lot of police themselves. All left out making an uninformed reader develop an opinion without all the facts.. Nice reporting there AP.

Edited by hungryhippo