Retirement Visa. Proof Of Address.

Hello all,

Going to Jomtien immigration next week. Currently on a one year non "o". Going to change to the over 50's "retirement" visa. As things would have it, I am just (as from 3 days ago) between condos at the moment, so am staying in a hotel for a couple of weeks.

Is this going to complicate things re: proof of address at the immigration office? I also need to get the British Embassy 'Proof of Income" letter in a few days and am not sure what address to get put on it.

I may, just, be able to wait for both until I get into another condo but will be touch and go. Is it worth waiting or should there be no problems?

Harry

There is no applicable extension available for 90 day entry - for those with ticket they normally provide 7 days under review which in effect makes it a one week extension but do not believe they would for extension of stay without proof. You have used the 15 months allowed on the visa you currently have (last entry before visa expires for further 90 day stay)?

If all else fails you can easily obtain a single entry non immigrant O visa or convert inside Thailand for retirement reasons.

you do not need proof of address for extension based on retirement. As for income put your new address on it.

You surly do need some such proof as only the office serving your area is allowed to process such a request.

He wasn't being surly, just misinformed :whistling:

Sorry, just trying (and failing) to be funny.

Sophon

I am wondering if I should quickly move into the new condo before I visit immigration to save any possible problems. I am not quite ready yet really but if it means less problems then it can be done.

I tend to renew leases every month wherever I am, so as to minimise any time spent in any particular condo if a disco suddenly opens next door or another condo gets built next to it. I get a very good rate still as I am well known to the owners at the various places I tend to stay.

So, at immigration, is the one month condo/apartment lease any better than a receipt for a weeks stay at a hotel? Will they throw a wobbly if I show such short term rentals?

Harry

Edited by Harrywonka

Keyboord error. :rolleyes:

No problem lb3. I never had to give proof of address when I have done any of my extensions including the first one.

It is only within the last two years that it has been closely checked - due to the new organization of Immigration and the requirement to use only the office serving your location. Once you have done it they have your address so unless it changes they are not likely to question it.

No problem lb3. I never had to give proof of address when I have done any of my extensions including the first one.

It is only within the last two years that it has been closely checked - due to the new organization of Immigration and the requirement to use only the office serving your location. Once you have done it they have your address so unless it changes they are not likely to question it.

Do you know if a map from one's residence to the local immigration office is still required for extensions in Jomtiem.

You should try not to change your address so frequently on a long time visa.

Did you know that you are required to inform immigration or the local police within 24 hours of any movement within or outside your local province. Fortuntatly the authorities have not cracked down on this yet, but if they wanted to, they can cause you inconvenience for not following their rules.

They do crack down on and enforce that Hotels, Guest Houses, apts etc are required to report your stay there to immigration and or Tourist Police within 24 hours or face a stiff fine. Hense the copying of your passport required when checking in.

It would be mush easier on you if you did go ahead and make your move to your new residence before you apply for your new visa. there are no applicable extensions to a retirement or type O visa.

Edited by TacoBoy

So, assuming I moved into another apartment before I go to immigration, what then happens if I, for example, go for a weeks holiday to a hotel in Hua Hin? As the hotel is required to tell immigration of my staying there, am I still legally required to go to wherever is the nearest immigration office to Hua Hin to report my holiday also? Does seem a trifle over the top if so.

Harry

there are no applicable extensions to a retirement or type O visa.

What? Both types of visa entry can be extended.

Was referring to the common practice of just extending a visa like a Tourist Visa Extension

I was not aware of any "Temporary" type of extensions for type O Visa's. Guess the wording is confusing, but the result was the same as a renewal of my existing visa

I know that my last renewal of my retirement Visa, they had me submit a form differnt from a new visa, but required new and current documents as for a new or original visa. The form may have been extension of stay.

Extensions of 60 and 90 days are available for visiting family/medical reasons and one year extensions for a number of reasons.

There is no 30 day extension of stay as for a tourist visa is perhaps what you were thinking of.

The form used for any extension of stay is TM.7 and the price is always 1,900 baht.

So, assuming I moved into another apartment before I go to immigration, what then happens if I, for example, go for a weeks holiday to a hotel in Hua Hin? As the hotel is required to tell immigration of my staying there, am I still legally required to go to wherever is the nearest immigration office to Hua Hin to report my holiday also? Does seem a trifle over the top if so.

Harry

If you are on just about any other type of visa than a tourist or visa on arrival, the rule of reporting your address or whereabouts applies.

A hotel etc must report any foreigner witin 24 hours. A foreigner on any visa other than a torusit or visa on arrival and has to report their address as a condition to their visa is subject to this rule. If they want to make it an issue, they can

I agree it is over the top. Luckily so far I have not heard of them cracking down on anyone for this.

But they do crack down on the hotels etc. if they do not report your staying there.

So no proof needed. What else do I need in form of paperworks? (retirement extension)

I have done this many times, but the older I get, the more I forget. :lol:

Your passport and copy of date page and visa entry/extension pages, arrival card and copy, financial proof and if using bank letter/original and copies of passbook or embassy letter and second proof of income if asked. Maybe a sketch map to home or address proof. 4x6cm photo taken within last six months and 1,900 baht fee.

Your passport and copy of date page and visa entry/extension pages, arrival card and copy, financial proof and if using bank letter/original and copies of passbook or embassy letter and second proof of income if asked. Maybe a sketch map to home or address proof. 4x6cm photo taken within last six months and 1,900 baht fee.

Thanks, Ill try to remember this. :D

I just went this week for extension to my retirement visa. Proof of address was required, no map needed. Bank letter was needed, not just copy of bank passbook...I use the embassy letter for proof of income, but letter from bank showing my measly balance was required! :(

Got there at 2, was done about 3:30. Picked up passport the next day.