Android Phones.. Best Apps And Games ?

Carlosm

Got a new android phone (HTC Desire). Have been looking through the 'thousands' of apps and games available and its pretty overwhelming. So, all you who have had an android phone for some time must know the best apps and games from the rubbish ones and it'd really help if you'd post them to help get me started. Also, if theres any good web sites, i've only found 2 being androidfreeware and androidsoft4u but i'm sure theres loads more.

Thanks in advance.

I'll put up a short list of apps I have.

Dolphin Browser - an improvement over the default one.

RealCalc - excellent general/scientific calculator. Some phones may already have it.

AirAttack - basic shooting game

Astro File Manager

arcMedia - Video player

doubleTwist - media player

Droidslator - Multi-language translator including Thai-English-Thai

Goggles - Use pictures to search the web.

PDF Viewer

Photoshop Express - graphics/photo editor

Vilingo - voice to text/text to voice

Google Voice Actions

Making application recommendatons without knowing what you use your phone for seems challenging? There are dozens of "Top 10/100 Android Application" listings, maybe read through some of those? Or let us know what you need to do with your phone. Also let us know verion your running.

By far the single most important application is backing up your apps and data. For this I'd recommend Titanium Backup, there is a free version; I bought a license for the Pro version and am very happy I did.

I use Goolge Translate quie often; the embedded SMS Translation one-button option is invaluable.

One application to avoid is any kind of task manager or task killer. Do not install any of these as they cause far more problems than they solve.

On the games front, Angry Birds and the follow-on "Seasons" versions are quite popular, as is Fruit Ninja and Paper Toss, but I'm really not into the games that much. They are useful in distracting the little ones so definitely keep a few on the phone.

For forums try these:

Android Forums: HTC Desire

XDA Developers: HTC Desire

Making application recommendatons without knowing what you use your phone for seems challenging? There are dozens of "Top 10/100 Android Application" listings, maybe read through some of those? Or let us know what you need to do with your phone. Also let us know verion your running.

By far the single most important application is backing up your apps and data. For this I'd recommend Titanium Backup, there is a free version; I bought a license for the Pro version and am very happy I did.

I use Goolge Translate quie often; the embedded SMS Translation one-button option is invaluable.

One application to avoid is any kind of task manager or task killer. Do not install any of these as they cause far more problems than they solve.

On the games front, Angry Birds and the follow-on "Seasons" versions are quite popular, as is Fruit Ninja and Paper Toss, but I'm really not into the games that much. They are useful in distracting the little ones so definitely keep a few on the phone.

For forums try these:

Android Forums: HTC Desire

XDA Developers: HTC Desire

Sweet Apps.

Longdo Map

Ts Translator

You got my attention with that comment. :D Did some digging and now have a better understanding of "under the hood" of Android. Prior to 2.0 they were useful tools but since, memory management has taken leaps on Android. At the time I installed it everyone was highly recommending it.

After looking at these topics, I will be removing it from my Desire.

Android Task Killers are Dead—Here's What You Should Be Doing

Android Task Killers Explained: What They Do and Why You Shouldn’t Use Them

FAQ: Why You Shouldn’t Be Using a Task Killer with Android

So, thanks for the heads up.

Tune in radio....Great app where I can listen to bbc radio and other stations from the UK.It also will play othet stations from around the worldMy other favorite app is Whattsapp this app will let you sms for free and send short videos and still pics for free ovet a WiFi network.This enables me to keep in close contact with friends all over the world.Its the nuts....

I've become addicted to Angry Birds - free, simple and mind-bendingly compulsive :)

Addicted too... me and the wife are arguing over who gets the phone to play it ! ... sod drugs or alcohol .... just gimmie the dam_n phone !!!!

You can get it for the PC too, even more fun on a 32" TV :)

I've heard very good things about Droidslator. Was going to download it but it asks permission to see my personal data including my contacts. I can't see any goof thing about that except to spam my contacts. What has been your experience?

I've heard very good things about Droidslator. Was going to download it but it asks permission to see my personal data including my contacts. I can't see any goof thing about that except to spam my contacts. What has been your experience?

I've had Droidslator on my Desire for some time now without problems. It has SMS access integrated into it and probably why the contact list permission is required.

FWIW, when you locate any application in the Market, you click on Settings (on your phone), which should pull up a sub-menu, click on Security to see what the application accesses on your phone. You can also find this information on a number of websites.

Example:

System Permissions for DroidSlator Dict & Translator

android.permission.ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION

android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE

android.permission.CAMERA

android.permission.INTERNET

android.permission.READ_CONTACTS

android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE

android.permission.VIBRATE

android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE

There is an off-line version of this app. as well.

The Tunein radio app. is impressive but be warned it does use quite a bit of bandwidth. I think it might require 3G or WiFi? I still got some dropouts on both, but this is a very popular application.

I was under-impressed with Whatsapp, which appears to work only with others who also are running the app. Great if they are, but...

Edited by lomatopo

I've had Droidslator on my Desire for some time now without problems. It has SMS access integrated into it and probably why the contact list permission is required.

Maybe I will test this app. How does it compare with google's own Google Translate?

You got my attention with that comment. :D Did some digging and now have a better understanding of "under the hood" of Android. Prior to 2.0 they were useful tools but since, memory management has taken leaps on Android. At the time I installed it everyone was highly recommending it.

After looking at these topics, I will be removing it from my Desire.

Android Task Killers are Dead—Here's What You Should Be Doing

Android Task Killers Explained: What They Do and Why You Shouldn't Use Them

FAQ: Why You Shouldn't Be Using a Task Killer with Android

So, thanks for the heads up.

Hmmm. I think the newer androids task manager has integrated task manager that can kill all programs. And 2.2.1 has the RAM cleaner as well. But skype was stubborn to die. I forgot if I had to use my 3rd party task siller or the built-in manager to do the job.