Processing Time Aust Partner/Prospective Marriage

Misterwolf. If your TGF has has had a 3 month and 6 month and told no more tourist visas there is no way in the world she will get a 12 month multiple entry. I wouldn't be worried about the no further stay I would be more worried about her not getting another tourist visa. Sadly your TGF will just have to apply in BKK and join the queue like everyone else..............

Max

Max, before totally deflating someone about their chances you should really know what you're talking about. What's your experience in this field? Have you or your TGF been told that and then subsequently had a third visa refused?

The "You won't get another one" is simply a scare tactic, nothing more. I know this for a fact since many of my mates wives or girlfriends have been told the same thing! You'd be amazed at some of the yarns they spill out.

We fell into the exact same category of having had my TGF (at the time, now wife) to Australia twice. On getting the second visa she too was told "Never again!". She was quite deflated. But if you put in a solid application with all the necessary details and supporting documentation then she will get the visa.

I can vouch for this because after being told she will never get another visa, we did exactly that. On top of that, it was a 12 month multi-entry! The exact visa you said Misterwolf's misses wouldn't get under the same conditions. In fact it sounds like he might have MORE compelling reasons than me.

Over to misterwolf, too many quotes, so I have broken yours into numbers questions and my answers (opinions) are below:

Could you just clarify a couple of points for me?

Q1. Also, what is the likelihood of having a 8503 clause on the 12month TV? This is a condition that stops you applying for any further visa to extend your stay. Is it a given that an 8503 wont be attached to a 12month TV or is it totally discretionary?

Q2. We have been told she wont receive any more TV's but we have a situation not too dissimilar to yours with sick relo's and weddings coming up.

Q3. When you say your partner is eligible for medicare whilst waiting up to 18 months for a decision, does this also mean she can work during that time?

Q4. This seems a perfectly legal way to bypass the waiting period of up to 12 months and get into Oz quicker.

A1. It is TOTALLY up to the discretion of the case officer. I have always been of the belief that a third or subsequent visa wouldn't have the condition because you have sufficiently proved she will leave the country. This is not the case, as our third visa HAS the 8503 attached to it. Bugger :-) Conversely, I have read many reports here that others have gotten them without the condition no problems on the second visa and even one on the first!!!

A2. Put in a compelling application. Not pleading or going over the top. State the facts. Have proof (doctors certificates, wedding invitations etc). Make sure you have your supporting funds, and a reason to return still exists. I would also suggest that not having too small a gap between her visits to Australia would help as well. If she is going home and immediately applying for another visa, then I would see that as a reason not to grant.

A3. I can't answer that one. I know while she is ON the Temp Resident visa she can work, but I'm not sure about after just having applied. Maybe check the website or wait on someone else for that one.

A4. The bonus is that she will be in the country, yes, but there are posts around the forums, even this thread I think, that detail that it maybe a longer process. Whilst they say 8-10-12 months (reported elsewhere), people back in Thailand are getting them in as little as 3 and 4 months, even though the website says 12 months!.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Misterwolf. If your TGF has has had a 3 month and 6 month and told no more tourist visas there is no way in the world she will get a 12 month multiple entry. I wouldn't be worried about the no further stay I would be more worried about her not getting another tourist visa. Sadly your TGF will just have to apply in BKK and join the queue like everyone else..............

Max

Max, before totally deflating someone about their chances you should really know what you're talking about. What's your experience in this field? Have you or your TGF been told that and then subsequently had a third visa refused?

The "You won't get another one" is simply a scare tactic, nothing more. I know this for a fact since many of my mates wives or girlfriends have been told the same thing! You'd be amazed at some of the yarns they spill out.

We fell into the exact same category of having had my TGF (at the time, now wife) to Australia twice. On getting the second visa she too was told "Never again!". She was quite deflated. But if you put in a solid application with all the necessary details and supporting documentation then she will get the visa.

I can vouch for this because after being told she will never get another visa, we did exactly that. On top of that, it was a 12 month multi-entry! The exact visa you said Misterwolf's misses wouldn't get under the same conditions. In fact it sounds like he might have MORE compelling reasons than me.

Over to misterwolf, too many quotes, so I have broken yours into numbers questions and my answers (opinions) are below:

Q1. Also, what is the likelihood of having a 8503 clause on the 12month TV? This is a condition that stops you applying for any further visa to extend your stay. Is it a given that an 8503 wont be attached to a 12month TV or is it totally discretionary?

Q2. We have been told she wont receive any more TV's but we have a situation not too dissimilar to yours with sick relo's and weddings coming up.

Q3. When you say your partner is eligible for medicare whilst waiting up to 18 months for a decision, does this also mean she can work during that time?

Q4. This seems a perfectly legal way to bypass the waiting period of up to 12 months and get into Oz quicker.

A1. It is TOTALLY up to the discretion of the case officer. I have always been of the belief that a third or subsequent visa wouldn't have the condition because you have sufficiently proved she will leave the country. This is not the case, as our third visa HAS the 8503 attached to it. Bugger :-) Conversely, I have read many reports here that others have gotten them without the condition no problems on the second visa and even one on the first!!!

A2. Put in a compelling application. Not pleading or going over the top. State the facts. Have proof (doctors certificates, wedding invitations etc). Make sure you have your supporting funds, and a reason to return still exists. I would also suggest that not having too small a gap between her visits to Australia would help as well. If she is going home and immediately applying for another visa, then I would see that as a reason not to grant.

A3. I can't answer that one. I know while she is ON the Temp Resident visa she can work, but I'm not sure about after just having applied. Maybe check the website or wait on someone else for that one.

A4. The bonus is that she will be in the country, yes, but there are posts around the forums, even this thread I think, that detail that it maybe a longer process. Whilst they say 8-10-12 months (reported elsewhere), people back in Thailand are getting them in as little as 3 and 4 months, even though the website says 12 months!.

Totally appreciate your post and explanation.

Dont worry too much about max as i wasnt too deflated by it just surprised someone could make such a blanket claim.

Seems to be a bit of a gamble with the waiting period either way. The way i look at it, having her in oz on a 12 month multi TV without the 8503 clause ensures being able to be together in oz as well as being able to travel to thailand whilst waiting for approval of defacto visa. IMO should there for some reason be a refusal, i am more confident of gaining approval on appeal both being based in oz. With lodging a defacto visa from thailand, the risk is it drags on for up to 12 months which IMO leads to unnecessary pressure living apart for long periods.

I suppose i'll just keep gauging other peoples views and decide which way to go when the time gets closer.

Once again i thank you sincerely for your post.

Dont worry too much about max as i wasnt too deflated by it just surprised someone could make such a blanket claim.

Seems to be a bit of a gamble with the waiting period either way. The way i look at it, having her in oz on a 12 month multi TV without the 8503 clause ensures being able to be together in oz as well as being able to travel to thailand whilst waiting for approval of defacto visa. IMO should there for some reason be a refusal, i am more confident of gaining approval on appeal both being based in oz. With lodging a defacto visa from thailand, the risk is it drags on for up to 12 months which IMO leads to unnecessary pressure living apart for long periods.

I suppose i'll just keep gauging other peoples views and decide which way to go when the time gets closer.

yeah, just a couple of things to keep in mind.... Our position is my wife has a 12month M/E T/V, and we're applying offshore so we can travel between Thailand and Australia as we please.

1. Don't forget that with a 12m M/E T/V she will have to leave Australia every 3 months. Although 12 months validity, it's only good for three months at a time.

2. If you apply onshore inside the TV time, it becomes null and void and she must apply/get a bridging visa. This I really know nothing aout but there's ample posts on it within the forum. I'm on the iPad right now and active in a few threads, so I'm not too sure where it is at this time..

Good luck with whichever option you decide to go with, and feel free to pm me if you want more info

It has been the experience of many here that if the Emabassy says no more tourist visas than that is indeed the case unless a good cause can be shown

eg: a friend of mine was told no more tourist visas after her second 3 month trip. she broke up with her partner and met a new fella....she applied for a tourist visa explaining that as she had just met her new partner a spouse visa application would surely fail. They granted her a 3 month visa and stated again that she wouldnt get further tourist visas, she is now married and living here.

First contact with the case officer for us was when she rang the wife to arrange an interview. The confirmation email also included the letter to take to get a medical.

Applied end of May, interview was mid Sept. CO said it would take 3 months to make a final decision.

So just that I have this clear you did the medical before the interview or after ?

Max

A3. Between the time you apply for Temp Residency and the time it is approved, NO you can NOT work. Once approved OK.

Yes after applying for Temp & Perm Residency she can apply for Medicare. They may require a cover letter from Immigration, however the cover (front page)of the acceptance letter of your application and Client number usually satisfies them.

It has been the experience of many here that if the Emabassy says no more tourist visas than that is indeed the case unless a good cause can be shown

eg: a friend of mine was told no more tourist visas after her second 3 month trip. she broke up with her partner and met a new fella....she applied for a tourist visa explaining that as she had just met her new partner a spouse visa application would surely fail. They granted her a 3 month visa and stated again that she wouldnt get further tourist visas, she is now married and living here.

You example just goes to show what I mean. As long as there are Compelling enough reasons, supporting documentation and it's not one trip after another, then there shouldn't be too many problems. Most people I hear from that have had that happen to, apply for a second visa almost immediately after the first—which was the case with us too. We put in a good enough argument after her being back in Thailand for 5 months and as I say, they gave us a 12month multi entry. I am sure if we'd applied 2 or 3 months earlier we would most certainly have been knocked on the head. As it was when we did apply for the third visa she had only been in Australia 5 months in the preceding 12. Applying earlier would have tipped it remarkably the other way making 8 months in 12. Certain rejection I would suspect.

Also I think that once people are told that ("no more") they go the extra mile (I would hope) so theyre not just throwing their money away on a known result.

I do admit, we were concerned we might not get the third visa but as it turns out we did and our plans fell thru. So we got it for nothing 555

A3. Between the time you apply for Temp Residency and the time it is approved, NO you can NOT work. Once approved OK.

Yes after applying for Temp & Perm Residency she can apply for Medicare. They may require a cover letter from Immigration, however the cover (front page)of the acceptance letter of your application and Client number usually satisfies them.

Cool, that's good info I didn't know either. I knew about the working bit, but Medicare is available to them too right from the application lodgement. Pretty cool.

Now I know that THIS might be stretching it, but we applied offshore and are going to oz in the next few months. Is it the case that offshore applicants can start the medicare process? I do ask this for good reason, we planning and trying to have a baby. Any red tape we can cut earlier would be good. I am guessing though this would only be available to onshore applicants. But if we can duck over to oz for checkups and other baby related stuff that would be a real bonus!

Wow thanks everyone for all your informative posts and doing my head in. lol

Who needs agents with you blokes around.

It would seem in my case applying for a 12 month multi TV will be a waste of time as she has already spent approx 9 months of the preceding 12 in OZ.

Is it possible/viable that once a defacto visa application is lodged in Thailand that a 12 month multi TV could be applied for to enable visits to Oz for weddings, parties, funerals?

I appreciate everyone has a certain point of view but it seems that based on that, there are a wide range of decisions available based on strength of applications and reasoning given for certain visas.

It would seem that as long as basic criteria is met after that anything is possible and nothing is black and white.

Cool, that's good info I didn't know either. I knew about the working bit, but Medicare is available to them too right from the application lodgement. Pretty cool.

Now I know that THIS might be stretching it, but we applied offshore and are going to oz in the next few months. Is it the case that offshore applicants can start the medicare process? I do ask this for good reason, we planning and trying to have a baby. Any red tape we can cut earlier would be good. I am guessing though this would only be available to onshore applicants. But if we can duck over to oz for checkups and other baby related stuff that would be a real bonus!

I doubt very much that they would grant you Medicare after you have applied Offshore. I would think the mere fact that you are here on a TV would eliminate that and I would think you would have to have private health insurance, say with BUPA or a company like that.

There is one way around that, and that is to book your return flights on a credit card from Australia. Say Westpac Platinum card, which is also linked to a AMX card that Westpac supply with the original card. When you book from OZ Return the Platinum card covers you medically for 6 months, but I dont know about pre existing conditions.(pregnancy) But it does cover all othe things,medical emergencys, hospitalisation etc. Check out Credit card insurance on their site.

Remember the flight must be booked from Australia Return, Not From Thailand Return. That is the main condition of the Insurance.

Edited by OZEMADE

I doubt very much that they would grant you Medicare after you have applied Offshore. I would think the mere fact that you are here on a TV would eliminate that and I would think you would have to have private health insurance, say with BUPA or a company like that.

I do realise what I asked above would be a stretch, never hurts to ask though! :)

There is one way around that, and that is to book your return flights on a credit card from Australia. Say Westpac Platinum card, which is also linked to a AMX card that Westpac supply with the original card. When you book from OZ Return the Platinum card covers you medically for 6 months, but I dont know about pre existing conditions.(pregnancy) But it does cover all othe things,medical emergencys, hospitalisation etc. Check out Credit card insurance on their site.

Remember the flight must be booked from Australia Return, Not From Thailand Return. That is the main condition of the Insurance.

Thanks for the suggestion. We'll gauge what we do on circumstances. There's always many variables, and touch wood, we may already have the TR visa before going home for Xmas. Now THAT would be a nice chrissy present.

It would seem in my case applying for a 12 month multi TV will be a waste of time as she has already spent approx 9 months of the preceding 12 in OZ.

I'm only saying in my opinion they probably would grant if she has spent that much time in Aus. Wait for some other answers.

Is it possible/viable that once a defacto visa application is lodged in Thailand that a 12 month multi TV could be applied for to enable visits to Oz for weddings, parties, funerals?

I can only speculate here, but all posts I've read where someone has put in an application based on defacto or marriage have then later applied for a TV, I believe (and I could be wrong) that they have all only got 3 month single entry visas. Which I believe wouldn't be a bad thing as although the website says a up to a year to process, it appears most people are still getting them in 3-4 months.

We put our 12m TV app in before the marriage visa app and got it.

It would seem that as long as basic criteria is met after that anything is possible and nothing is black and white.

I couldn't agree more: "nothing is black or white"!!

Wouldnt that apply only to the card holder.

No medicare until TR is granted

Edited by gburns57au

I appreciate everyone has a certain point of view but it seems that based on that, there are a wide range of decisions available based on strength of applications and reasoning given for certain visas.

After lodging the application you can apply for any visa you want....3,6,12 month.....You have to accept the visa they give you....generally a 3 month.

Under the requirements for de facto....Just being here is not enough...you have to show that you meet the requirements of the de facto, you have to show you have lived together as man and wife.

Wouldnt that apply only to the card holder.

No medicare until TR is granted

Re the card holder:- No it applies to all of your family or any one that you booked on the flight using the Platinum Westpac or the linked AMX Credit Card. Not a bad deal.

Re No medicare until TR is granted:- CORRECT

I have also contacted Immigration in Australia. They have confirmed that it is taking up to 12 months for an on shore application for TR and PR to be processed. They stated a lot of people have been complaining re the time for processing applications in the Service Charter. They said it has not been updated for ages. up to 12 months. :annoyed:

Edited by OZEMADE

Misterwolf, my agent secured my Thai wife a 6 month TV during processing of her 309 app in june this year. In communicating with an Australian senior officer at the Bangkok embassy on another issue, we were told in writing that Bangkok embassy now has policy on TV's during processing time of partner visas and that it is 3 months duration maximum.

This official actually expressed suprise that my wife had been able to gain a visa of 6 months duration.

Would you like my guys number , he may be able to assist....

Edited by Turboadam

One question for anyone who can help once the medical and. Interview are done what happens ? Does the embassy send an email and say it's approved and youron a waiting list or do you just sit back and wait with no contact. I would like my partner to. Go for a few months holiday if they gave assurance the visa would be granted.

Misterwolf, my agent secured my Thai wife a 6 month TV during processing of her 309 app in june this year. In communicating with an Australian senior officer at the Bangkok embassy on another issue, we were told in writing that Bangkok embassy now has policy on TV's during processing time of partner visas and that it is 3 months duration maximum.

This official actually expressed suprise that my wife had been able to gain a visa of 6 months duration.

I appreciate the offer. You can PM me details if you like.

I have also contacted Immigration in Australia. They have confirmed that it is taking up to 12 months for an on shore application for TR and PR to be processed. They stated a lot of people have been complaining re the time for processing applications in the Service Charter. They said it has not been updated for ages. up to 12 months. :annoyed:

Well a lot of us know that's not true, there's another very active thread still on the front page of this forum about the update. It was in Feb this year, only 8 months ago :D

I do suppose "up to 12 months" does include 8 months. Maybe someone in their office should then get off their butts and update it. Takes like 10 seconds. 30 if you have to log in! and 60 if you use their search engine to find it :thumbsup:

Well a lot of us know that's not true, there's another very active thread still on the front page of this forum about the update. It was in Feb this year, only 8 months ago :D

I do suppose "up to 12 months" does include 8 months. Maybe someone in their office should then get off their butts and update it. Takes like 10 seconds. 30 if you have to log in! and 60 if you use their search engine to find it :thumbsup:

The one in Feb was done by the Embassy in Bangkok and relates to Off shore applications.....Onshore applications are dealt with by DIAC

Bridge started this thread on the 25th Feb, stating that the wait time was now 10 months. He said he got this straight from the horses mouth. The first link he posts is on the 1st of March is the diac site about processing times.

I just found the Bangkok Embassy's website page about it, which, in as far as I can tell is the first time it's been posted in this thread.

I reposted about this in this same forum (#81) when I later realised it had been updated AGAIN and was now 12 months.

So somewhere between March (when bridge posted it) and August (when I reposted it) the page details had changed again. That's only some 2-7 months ago, and so I revise my original statement: It (the diac page) was last updated AT THE VERY MOST 7 months ago.

My point being, everyone at the embassy needs to get their stories straight. You can't have someone blame the website when there are people out here WATCHING the website. They should just fess up and tell everyone, "we're slow." :D

I spoke with him (Bridge from here) and he is not taking on clients atm.

I spoke with him (Bridge from here) and he is not taking on clients atm.

LOL

As I don't live in Bangkok, I'm unsure of whether the floods will effect the area that the Embassy is in. Is there any possibility of the floods effecting day to day operations at the Aus Embassy and therefore effecting work on visa processing?

That's a good point, and I too would be interested in others feedback on this. It appears (thru this forum) that other embassies are citing flooding/typhoons/other as the cause of processing delays at the moment.