Scene Of Accident

tomahawk

I crashed my bike on sukhumvit a few weeks ago and was left lying unconscious for 20 mins before my friend found me lying in the middle of the street with my bike still on top of me...that guy was lucky you turned up as Thai's will just leave them there.

You were on the busy Sukhumvit road with a bike on top of you and nobody stopped or assisted until the gallant Farang appeared 20 minutes later. dry.gif

Were you wearing a ThaiVisa T-Shirt ?

The sheer amount of anti Thai rantings on this forum could have been the reason nobody helped you if you were. rolleyes.gif

First off, just last week I witnessed a rather smart motorbike having been ridden into (by a Thai driver who'd of course 'fled the scene') just twenty metres away from the police station on Phuket. The driver and passenger were both Asian (their height and dress - expensive - suggested Middle Eastern/Indian).

This is a very busy narrow road notorious for the amount of dikheads not looking when they pull out/turn into a soi with no indication, as per.

They appeared not to be hurt, but were looking around for someone to help. ALL the Thais had left their shops/stopped walking. and just stood looking at them.

I've seen this many times. Am somewhat ambivalent as to it's being down to lack of compassion or their not wanting to get involved.

Sure there are many helpful Thais (although many here on Phuket at a price only), but the nursing staff fall into a similar category of not wanting to get involved, or, and this is my experience, being trained ONLY in bedbaths/dispensing meds. They're fcking useless at anything else.

Yes exactly my experiences too. People get mad at me when I say "Thais have no compassion" but regardless of what they actually feel or are, if their actions indicate a complete lack of caring for their fellow man then...... what are we to think?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I crashed my bike on sukhumvit a few weeks ago and was left lying unconscious for 20 mins before my friend found me lying in the middle of the street with my bike still on top of me...that guy was lucky you turned up as Thai's will just leave them there.

You were on the busy Sukhumvit road with a bike on top of you and nobody stopped or assisted until the gallant Farang appeared 20 minutes later. dry.gif

Were you wearing a ThaiVisa T-Shirt ?

The sheer amount of anti Thai rantings on this forum could have been the reason nobody helped you if you were. rolleyes.gif

First off, just last week I witnessed a rather smart motorbike having been ridden into (by a Thai driver who'd of course 'fled the scene') just twenty metres away from the police station on Phuket. The driver and passenger were both Asian (their height and dress - expensive - suggested Middle Eastern/Indian).

This is a very busy narrow road notorious for the amount of dikheads not looking when they pull out/turn into a soi with no indication, as per.

They appeared not to be hurt, but were looking around for someone to help. ALL the Thais had left their shops/stopped walking. and just stood looking at them.

I've seen this many times. Am somewhat ambivalent as to it's being down to lack of compassion or their not wanting to get involved.

Sure there are many helpful Thais (although many here on Phuket at a price only), but the nursing staff fall into a similar category of not wanting to get involved, or, and this is my experience, being trained ONLY in bedbaths/dispensing meds. They're fcking useless at anything else.

Yes exactly my experiences too. People get mad at me when I say "Thais have no compassion" but regardless of what they actually feel or are, if their actions indicate a complete lack of caring for their fellow man then...... what are we to think?

Be fair. People will normally be there v quickly - which is why the money, phone and anything else of value have gone.

It takes a bit longer for someone to arrange an ambulance.

Be fair. People will normally be there v quickly - which is why the money, phone and anything else of value have gone.

It takes a bit longer for someone to arrange an ambulance.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:jap:

So true. Thais DO have their priorities in order..:D Money first. B)

In the USA they have a Good Samaratan law where someone who is actually helping a victim in an accident can not be sued for possible injuries.

The do not touch victim is only a general rule. There are MANY instances where if you DON'T help remove the victim then possible death could occur... such as: burning car, possible drowning, hypothermia, etc etc.

In Thailand, all farangs are deemed to be millionares and worth fleecing... whether they were involved in the accident or just an innocent by-stander.

Unfortunately that law is not nationally mandated and many medically trained personnel have avoided getting involved for just that reason of having a potential law suit leveled at them for helping.. Sad but true... However it never stopped me from stopping and helping but here I have to give it pause unless there is absolutely no one on scene to render assistance or it is a foreigner like the one I stopped to help in Phuket some years ago.

A tough (if not so bright driving on the wrong side of the road) Aussie bloke had hit a German lady (doctor who was in panic mode) semi head on on his scooter and flew across her hood, he cleanly severed his thumb on his right hand fractured the same forearm which was both good and bad as it was keeping the pain down as his forearm fracture was pressing the nerve and his arm was numb and the blood flow was also restricted as it was turning white and the fractured thumb was hardly bleeding. Hopefully he wasn't going to suffer permanent damage, he had also dislocated his left ankle with a possible fracture included as well, he was conscious, sitting up and in good spirits surprisingly when I arrived but they were doing everything they could to drive him into shock by pouring ice cold water over him and giving him water him not being covered even though he was in the shade, the water wasn't good either as he was certain to need emergency surgery.

I had a first aid kit with me and used the antiseptic Betadine I had and gauze wrap to disinfect and wrap his thumb to help prevent infection, put ice on his fracture and dislocation and covered him. They had collected the severed piece and we put it on ice for possible reattachment, thumbs are very important to save if possible, it was very clean and possible to reattach and have some usefulness..

As I said the lady was a German doctor but she was out of her mind at the time in panic mode, not clear headed at all and was very glad I stopped and assisted until the ambulance arrived.. I was rather shocked she was so out of sorts given the stress and clear headed nature being a doctor requires but when one is themselves involved this sometimes happens.. So for me, no I would not drive past an injured person either here nor there if there wasn't people already assisting..

Well done to the OP for stopping and helping and doing what he could to assists the victim. it was all going well till

" I flashed my retired police badge and stopped traffic so ambulance could get to victim "

<deleted>!!!! :o

Just what is a " Retired police badge " when its at home ? I presume it isn't a Thai police badge so just what did the OP think people would do when seeing it ? :blink:

:sorry:

Reality check !

YOU ARE NO LONGER A COPPER!

YOU ARE FARANG !

Maybe they should issue the ex SAS, SBS, delta force, CIA with these cards so we can verify the guys who tell us they are EX :thumbsup:

Didn't want go go there as I figured my critical and necessary constructive criticism would be contentious enough and I was right, you've got brass my man..

OP, Yes you have got brass, but more importantly, you also have compassion. There's not too much around. Maybe the ravers as above are people who wouldn't quite have the same response as you did, but wish they could? I've worked for a few government type organisations in Asia. They all tell you, officially, to leave accidents alone. Sad indeed. In Thailand, I guess its the responsibility thing - as in will I have to pay for this person's hospital treatment? But fatalism is also a very strong part of Thai belief systems. Together with the superstitions about ghosts, if the victim even looks dead, I'm surprised that some people do help at all. I guess its a personal choice, I would usually try to help, but I accept that many people won't.

Tim- Understands why Thai's don't get involved.

1. They think "If I help will I have to pay?"

2. Then- "If they die will their ghost blame me?"

3. "Will I be interfering with Karma?"

Their not wired for it.

Isn't this a rather broad generalization of Nurses in Thailand ?

So much negativity on this Forum.

Do please report back after your stay in a hospital anywhere in Thailand.

Then we can all deduce whether you're talking out of your arse. Or not ...

when i broke my leg in a motorcycle accident with a drunken policeman, he fled the scene.

I was picked up from the middle of the road by a passing taxi driver and placed in his cab. He then moved my bike behind a police box across the street. Once that was done he drove me to a hospital in Bangkok of my choosing where I underwent surgery to have the leg pinned.

He went so far as to carry me into the ER.

He refused any money, despite the fact that he was probably "involved" for around an hour.

Likewise, my hospital experiences in Bangkok, especially with nurses have bee in stark contrast to your claims.

it may be your ass, or more likely your prejudice, that speaks here.

Thanks for the story, Nocturn. It just shows there is compassion everywhere. I've run into many similarities in Thailand. And, I've seen just as many bad people preying on the unfortunate in North America. One bad experience does NOT make it the norm, nor does one good experience make it normal.

In simple first aid we were taught that It helps if one person knows what they are doing and takes charge. They can explain to others what to do,

1. Quickly assess situation for other possible hazards that might injure both the victim and the helper.

2. If there IS a possible hazard then remove the hazard or get someone who can. Possible hazards could be live electrical wires or some fuel that could catch fire. It could also be dangerous gases.

3. Remove victim as quickly as possible away from potential hazards: ie. Burning vehicle, deep water, electrical wires, etc

4. Keep victim as stable as possible with no sudden movements. The best method is using a blanket to place victim on by carefully rolling them onto it while supporting all joints or possible broken bones. It usually takes 2 or 3 people to move a person carefully onto a stretcher after initially using a large blanket to lift them. Lifting a person using just your hands is usually wrong, but they can be rolled onto a side and the blanket placed under them before trying to lift them onto a stretcher or just carrying them a short distance to safety. The head and neck must be supported at all times.

Sometimes there just isn't anything you can do, but the first few moments can be critical..

Thank you for kind words. About neck injury, I think problem here is I did not explain fully. Victim was raising his own head off ground, so I put bag behind his head. I did not raise up his head myself, as I know this is bad practice.

That settles all the 'knockers' then and congrats on your efforts.

^ Must be an Asian thing then. :rolleyes:

Lovely considerate people. :D

Same thing happened to me once in Sri Lanka but they did offer to lift bike off for a bottle of DF whiskey ! Bike was still running and i was covered in petrol ............scary

Another Asian incident !

-I'd rather die than let these dumb f''ks have a go at me

Of course you would. blink.gif

Then again, it would be the ultimate anti Thai gesture, good luck with it. smile.gif

But don't do it too often..............bad for the health . :D:D:D:D

Well done to the OP for stopping and helping and doing what he could to assists the victim. it was all going well till

" I flashed my retired police badge and stopped traffic so ambulance could get to victim "

<deleted>!!!! :o

Just what is a " Retired police badge " when its at home ? I presume it isn't a Thai police badge so just what did the OP think people would do when seeing it ? :blink:

:sorry:

Reality check !

YOU ARE NO LONGER A COPPER!

YOU ARE FARANG !

Maybe they should issue the ex SAS, SBS, delta force, CIA with these cards so we can verify the guys who tell us they are EX :thumbsup:

Oh ! for gods sake, give the man a go ! He was only reacting to a life times practice and really just doing his best at a seconds notice. I expect you would still be just standing, watching and picking yer nose :annoyed:

This thread has it all.

The obvious Thai bashers that are always present, the ex special forces/CIA/FBI/SAS/SBS guys flashing badges and stopping the traffic, as if Thai drivers would respect he was a cop 30 years ago in another country and stop because of this, without the badge they would have ploughed straight through him!! Yeah right......................The mind boggles. laugh.gif

Also the guy who would rather die than have Thai rescue workers touch him.

Then, god knows how many posts are removed and posters are told off. :D

Classic ThaiVisa thread.

But ain't it fun :D

True ! i once fell off a bar stool in The beer garden Soi 7. Think i was momentarily knocked out as i looked up and saw this beautiful pink thing smiling down at me (though i had died and gone to bar rat heaven) but then she stepped over me and walked away caring nothing as to wether i was seriously injured or not. :ermm:

When I got my sesnes back I noticed that all those that came to help didn't do a things except help themselves to parts from my bike. All I basically had left was a frame.

:cheesy:

Thais, a lovely Jai Dee people.

Hate to disappoint a Thai basher like you but I thought Tuky lived in Indonesia.

He did say that he was in "Indo".

Please, if I have a head or neck injury and you're around just don't touch me I'll take my chances :rolleyes::wai: ...

Fine, we will just leave you lying in the ditch and let the meat wagon pick you up. :rolleyes:

That's preferable, thank you... Though you won't find me like that as I don't drive pissed up drunk or ride a motocy like a silly fool so no worries..

Edited by WarpSpeed