Scene Of Accident

tomahawk

Thank you all for kind words. Strange thing about all this, is that if it happened back home no one would even mention it, as it is basically common courtesy. It is sort of sad to me that in Thailand it is considered out of the ordinary to help an injured person. I am not bashing Thai people here, but one has only to read this thread to see what I am talking about. Basically I love Thailand and Thai people, but to be honest, how many people on forum would really say they would rather be lying on the road injured here than they would back home, wherever that is? Unless maybe they are from Cambodia.

As for h2o dunce statement about badge, which actually is called a shield, when people retire from law enforcement in US they generally are given a retired police shield. It says retired clearly, along with rank you retired at, which in my case was lieutenant. Yes i know I am not a cop here and have no authority. However the fact is this shield has been every useful. It has gotten me out of two potentially costly situations while driving, where what with me being a farang and therefore always at fault, nevertheless the other parties, who in both cases were Thai, upon seeing the shield in my wallet, just ran away from the scene. I guess this is due to the usual Thai reluctance to get involved with any kind of police. Also, since it is NY police shield, I usually get decent treatment from Thai police and immigration, since they all seem to like American police tv shows and movies. I am not saying this is right or wrong, it is just the way it is.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you all for kind words. Strange thing about all this, is that if it happened back home no one would even mention it, as it is basically common courtesy. It is sort of sad to me that in Thailand it is considered out of the ordinary to help an injured person. I am not bashing Thai people here, but one has only to read this thread to see what I am talking about. Basically I love Thailand and Thai people, but to be honest, how many people on forum would really say they would rather be lying on the road injured here than they would back home, wherever that is? Unless maybe they are from Cambodia.

As for h2o dunce statement about badge, which actually is called a shield, when people retire from law enforcement in US they generally are given a retired police shield. It says retired clearly, along with rank you retired at, which in my case was lieutenant. Yes i know I am not a cop here and have no authority. However the fact is this shield has been every useful. It has gotten me out of two potentially costly situations while driving, where what with me being a farang and therefore always at fault, nevertheless the other parties, who in both cases were Thai, upon seeing the shield in my wallet, just ran away from the scene. I guess this is due to the usual Thai reluctance to get involved with any kind of police. Also, since it is NY police shield, I usually get decent treatment from Thai police and immigration, since they all seem to like American police tv shows and movies. I am not saying this is right or wrong, it is just the way it is.

Nope, scares the bejesus out of me, that and having to call EMS should something happen to me. My dearest, love her dearly but it just scares me how she would handle an emergency in the case it involved me and I was in deaths way and unable to coach... She hasn't inspired my confidence where facing such incidents with our children has occurred in the past..

Edited by WarpSpeed

How many Thais have any kind of first aid training and we expect them to render first aid.

I'd expect Thai nurses to have 1st Aid training and to render it.

Two nurses showed up, and both of them did nothing except wave smelling salts under victims nose. They did nothing to check his pulse, injuries or anything.

Wouldn't you?

Its truly amazing what some people will post isn't it? He was actually defending NURSES and criticising us for expecting THEM to know first aid. The mind boggles. :blink:

How many Thais have any kind of first aid training and we expect them to render first aid.

I'd expect Thai nurses to have 1st Aid training and to render it.

Two nurses showed up, and both of them did nothing except wave smelling salts under victims nose. They did nothing to check his pulse, injuries or anything.

Wouldn't you?

Its truly amazing what some people will post isn't it? He was actually defending NURSES and criticising us for expecting THEM to know first aid. The mind boggles. :blink:

Who's he? And how was it determined conclusively that they were nurses and by whom? Or did the white uniforms (assuming also, no mention) illicit an unconfirmed assumption on your part and the OP :whistling: ?

Is garnering preferential treatment for oneself the main purpose of these badges, or is it just a perk to be used at one's own discretion?

I guess at the end of the day if you are comfortable with the idea that you deserve to be treated differently, that's good for you.

In such a situation help a farang but not a Thai. Not out of callousness, but for your own sake, if anything goes wrong, you will be blamed, even if nothing goes wrong you might be blamed on the principle that you have money, so blame you. Even controlling traffic has the risk of the accusation that you created congestion and so delayed the ambulance. I know it is hard to turn your back on such situations, but this is the safest policy in any Asian country.

I have actually been hustled away from such situations by Thai friends who clearly understood the risks for farangs getting involved.

Good work. You did pretty much all you could. You can sleep well tonight (hopefully).

Not surprisingly, no one said thank you or anything at all,

After five years here it really does astound me that Thais have this view of themselves as kind, compassionate, friendly, superior people.

Amazing.

Ya I've never seen this compassion and kindness that others speak of here, only the exact opposite and quite constantly. Although the fact that other people did help and called an ambulance is a good sign. Good for you op, you're my hero in a land that desperately needs em.

And there may lie the underlying problem with Thai. They go generations between Heroes.

Is garnering preferential treatment for oneself the main purpose of these badges, or is it just a perk to be used at one's own discretion?

I guess at the end of the day if you are comfortable with the idea that you deserve to be treated differently, that's good for you.

Now now, theres no need to be insulting, just cuz youre jealous.

People on power-trips don't make me jealous. It's kind of sad actually.

Possibly I can justify the dunce's statement about the badge. Non American farang have issues with Americans. Secondly, It is common knowledge that Thai authorities have more respect for American professionals. In your case it is what we call back home, "Professional courtesies" than other farang. True you don't have any authority, or pull any weight here, but you are given above norm respect by Thai for your class position in life, and the fact that you are a trained professional in an admired country by thai. Unlike others, Thai authorities understand that when you retired, you didnt lose all those years of experience and knowledge. I am no retired cop, but I am a 28 yr. career retireee from one of the 2 largest small package delivery companies in the world, and whenever BIB target me while driving, I have no hesitation pulling out the photos of me next to my delivery truck, in uniform from work. This does get a mutual respect as a driver, and I dont pay tea money or get tickets that stick. Twice, to save face BIB issued them, and I drove to the police dept with pictures, drivers license, company id card, and wife, the translater, and both times the tickets were retracted. I keep it humble and polite, but am firm in letting authority know that I know Thai driving laws, have decades of experience as a pro, and obey them.

So pull the shield when necessary, and alway cover your a$$, and alway turn deaf to pak mah farang.

Edited by featography

I am no retired cop, but I am a 28 yr. career retireee from one of the 2 largest small package delivery companies in the world, and whenever BIB target me while driving, I have no hesitation pulling out the photos of me next to my delivery truck, in uniform from work. This does get a mutual respect as a driver, and I dont pay tea money or get tickets that stick. Twice, to save face BIB issued them, and I drove to the police dept with pictures, drivers license, company id card, and wife, the translater, and both times the tickets were retracted.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I actually find myself lost for words.

I've heard of diplomatic immunity, but despatch driver immunity.

Edited by Moonrakers

I am no retired cop, but I am a 28 yr. career retireee from one of the 2 largest small package delivery companies in the world, and whenever BIB target me while driving, I have no hesitation pulling out the photos of me next to my delivery truck, in uniform from work. This does get a mutual respect as a driver, and I dont pay tea money or get tickets that stick. Twice, to save face BIB issued them, and I drove to the police dept with pictures, drivers license, company id card, and wife, the translater, and both times the tickets were retracted.

I actually find myself lost for words.

I've heard of diplomatic immunity, but despatch driver immunity.

Yes, but he didn't mention WHO he was dispatching. :blink::whistling:

Well done to the OP for stopping and helping and doing what he could to assists the victim. it was all going well till

" I flashed my retired police badge and stopped traffic so ambulance could get to victim "

<deleted>!!!! :o

Just what is a " Retired police badge " when its at home ? I presume it isn't a Thai police badge so just what did the OP think people would do when seeing it ? :blink:

:sorry:

Reality check !

YOU ARE NO LONGER A COPPER!

YOU ARE FARANG !

Maybe they should issue the ex SAS, SBS, delta force, CIA with these cards so we can verify the guys who tell us they are EX :thumbsup:

Didn't want go go there as I figured my critical and necessary constructive criticism would be contentious enough and I was right, you've got brass my man..

He knows the art of writing, to engage the listener!

This thread has it all.

The obvious Thai bashers that are always present, the ex special forces/CIA/FBI/SAS/SBS guys flashing badges and stopping the traffic, as if Thai drivers would respect he was a cop 30 years ago in another country and stop because of this, without the badge they would have ploughed straight through him!! Yeah right......................The mind boggles. laugh.gif

Also the guy who would rather die than have Thai rescue workers touch him.

Then, god knows how many posts are removed and posters are told off. biggrin.gif

Classic ThaiVisa thread.

What a pathetic bunch of people this thread has attracted. The OP acted in a way to help someone else in need and all he has attracted is a bunch of idiots commenting negatively on his actions (some who admit they wouldn't even stop, which is disgusting). Thai people have respect for authority so like it or not his retired badge has it's uses and in this case he only used it with the best intentions to help someone badly injured, so give it a rest.

Im sure the random dudes throwing him up on the back of the "ambulance" pickup fixateded his neck ok. If the pickup has that carrying a lady paint on and some red and blue stickers it's an ambulance right?

Yeah your right it should be a white van with lights and stikcers to be an ambulance....:lol: It's not the vehicle it is the properly trained people inside that make it an ambulance...:jap:

To the OP: good job. I admitably wouldn't have assisted which apparently is "disgusting". However it is my choice. Although I did laugh about the badge deal, I think we forgot that it worked.

If people want to attack you for it, sorry. It is what it is here.

I don't judge any of your methods, just applaud your results.

To the OP: good job. I admitably wouldn't have assisted which apparently is "disgusting". However it is my choice. Although I did laugh about the badge deal, I think we forgot that it worked.

If people want to attack you for it, sorry. It is what it is here.

I don't judge any of your methods, just applaud your results.

Agreed. A little bluff can go a long way in getting things accomplished. Why bicker about the petty stuff? I'm a retired Forestry officer with a badge. It has no authority anywhere, but it CAN influence an officer's decision in assessing your character as a person. If it can get you out of a sticky situation then you would be foolish not to use it. It's not like you are trying to flaunt the law.

I crashed my bike on sukhumvit a few weeks ago and was left lying unconscious for 20 mins before my friend found me lying in the middle of the street with my bike still on top of me...that guy was lucky you turned up as Thai's will just leave them there.

You were on the busy Sukhumvit road with a bike on top of you and nobody stopped or assisted until the gallant Farang appeared 20 minutes later. dry.gif

Were you wearing a ThaiVisa T-Shirt ?

The sheer amount of anti Thai rantings on this forum could have been the reason nobody helped you if you were. rolleyes.gif

First off, just last week I witnessed a rather smart motorbike having been ridden into (by a Thai driver who'd of course 'fled the scene') just twenty metres away from the police station on Phuket. The driver and passenger were both Asian (their height and dress - expensive - suggested Middle Eastern/Indian).

This is a very busy narrow road notorious for the amount of dikheads not looking when they pull out/turn into a soi with no indication, as per.

They appeared not to be hurt, but were looking around for someone to help. ALL the Thais had left their shops/stopped walking. and just stood looking at them.

I've seen this many times. Am somewhat ambivalent as to it's being down to lack of compassion or their not wanting to get involved.

Sure there are many helpful Thais (although many here on Phuket at a price only), but the nursing staff fall into a similar category of not wanting to get involved, or, and this is my experience, being trained ONLY in bedbaths/dispensing meds. They're fcking useless at anything else.

Edited by inmysights

Sure there are many helpful Thais (although many here on Phuket at a price only), but the nursing staff fall into a similar category of not wanting to get involved, or, and this is my experience, being trained ONLY in bedbaths/dispensing meds. They're fcking useless at anything else.

Isn't this a rather broad generalization of Nurses in Thailand ?

So much negativity on this Forum.

Isn't this a rather broad generalization of Nurses in Thailand ?

So much negativity on this Forum.

Do please report back after your stay in a hospital anywhere in Thailand.

Then we can all deduce whether you're talking out of your arse. Or not ...

Edited by inmysights

People on power-trips don't make me jealous. It's kind of sad actually. :huh:

I would regard a badge like that as just a small thank you to someone for their many years of public service ?

If it's not appropriate then where does it end ? Surely we need to stop addressing past US Presidents as

" Mr President ", retired judges as " Judge " and even retired " Generals " by their former rank?

Edited by midas

I once witnessed an old Thai lady who fell in an escalator going downwards. She tumbled down and ended up falling over again as she attempted to get up. There must have been 20 Thais looking at her as she fell over for a third time. A couple of younger guys (20-ish) leaped over her rather than help her.

Well done to the OP for stopping and helping and doing what he could to assists the victim. it was all going well till

" I flashed my retired police badge and stopped traffic so ambulance could get to victim "

<deleted>!!!! :o

Just what is a " Retired police badge " when its at home ? I presume it isn't a Thai police badge so just what did the OP think people would do when seeing it ? :blink:

:sorry:

Reality check !

YOU ARE NO LONGER A COPPER!

YOU ARE FARANG !

Maybe they should issue the ex SAS, SBS, delta force, CIA with these cards so we can verify the guys who tell us they are EX :thumbsup:

Didn't want go go there as I figured my critical and necessary constructive criticism would be contentious enough and I was right, you've got brass my man..

OP, Yes you have got brass, but more importantly, you also have compassion. There's not too much around. Maybe the ravers as above are people who wouldn't quite have the same response as you did, but wish they could? I've worked for a few government type organisations in Asia. They all tell you, officially, to leave accidents alone. Sad indeed. In Thailand, I guess its the responsibility thing - as in will I have to pay for this person's hospital treatment? But fatalism is also a very strong part of Thai belief systems. Together with the superstitions about ghosts, if the victim even looks dead, I'm surprised that some people do help at all. I guess its a personal choice, I would usually try to help, but I accept that many people won't.

People on power-trips don't make me jealous. It's kind of sad actually. :huh:

I would regard a badge like that as just a small thank you to someone for their many years of public service ?

If it's not appropriate then where does it end ? Surely we need to stop addressing past US Presidents as

" Mr President ", retired judges as " Judge " and even retired " Generals " by their former rank?

I've no problem with acknowledging and respecting the past achievements of another, and i have absolutely no problem with another using their past achievements to try and do some good - as in the case of tomahawk's actions at the scene of the accident - my problem is with those who think that by flashing a badge (or a photo? - my goodness me!) that special treatment should be rolled out just for them, whenever they find themselves in a bind.