Another Mayonnaise Crisis

AyG

If you are making your own mayonnaise , just use the yolks of the egg, not the white. Add small drops of oil to start otherwise it will split, add more oil until thick and creamy . Add salt and pepper, a dash of vinegar for the tartness, a bit of mustard if you want and Voila , real mayo , 10 times better than any mass produced stuff , even though I do like Hellmans and Craft. :D

okokok....you are right! True mayonnaise is made from yolks only. After lots of research I found out it doesn't make a difference (except for less work and no leftovers) if you slam the entire egg into the blender. B)

You know you shouldn't consume this much mayo to be franticly hunting down different brands online? It really isn't good for and esp not in large quanitys, chuck a egg in your mouth and pour some oil down your throats, wala we have heart disease.

Edited by sam666

You know you shouldn't consume this much mayo to be franticly hunting down different brands online? It really isn't good for and esp not in large quanitys, chuck a egg in your mouth and pour some oil down your throats, wala we have heart disease.

I think that you are exactly right. Mayo is great stuff, but it is not healthy. I have looked at the recipies on the internet, which produce about 1 cup, which say that it will keep in the frig for 1 week. I use 1 cup of mayo in 2 or 3 months, so it is not really practical to make it at home. The store bought stuff allows me to keep it until it is used up (1 liter will easily last me 1 year). All of the local varieties, including Kewpee, taste awful. Most taste more like salad dressing than mayonnaise and most are too sweet. My salvation has been Macro, which sells Heinz mayonnaise (about B105 for a 1 liter plastic bag). Heinz is not as good as some of the brands available in the US (you haven't had mayonnaise until you've tried Duke's Mayonnaise), but is very acceptable (and certainly as good as Kraft). I transfer it into a glass jar with a rubber seal and it keeps indefinitely in the frig. Never a mayo crisis again. If anyone else in my family starts eating mayo, I may try making it at home. Until then, I have the "perfect" solution.

Edited by Thailaw

I think that you are exactly right. Mayo is great stuff, but it is not healthy. I have looked at the recipies on the internet, which produce about 1 cup, which say that it will keep in the frig for 1 week. I use 1 cup of mayo in 2 or 3 months, so it is not really practical to make it at home. The store bought stuff allows me to keep it until it is used up (1 liter will easily last me 1 year). All of the local varieties, including Kewpee, taste awful. Most taste more like salad dressing than mayonnaise and most are too sweet. My salvation has been Macro, which sells Heinz mayonnaise (about B105 for a 1 liter plastic bag). Heinz is not as good as some of the brands available in the US (you haven't had mayonnaise until you've tried Duke's Mayonnaise), but is very acceptable (and certainly as good as Kraft). I transfer it into a glass jar with a rubber seal and it keeps indefinitely in the frig. Never a mayo crisis again. If anyone else in my family starts eating mayo, I may try making it at home. Until then, I have the "perfect" solution.

Actually, I have tried Dukes mayonnaise and it is delicious. As is Kewpies in the blue bag. It definitely does not taste like salad dressing since it has no sugar and has 13 percent egg. A lot higher quality product than Heinz.

As for mayonnaise or egg being unhealthful, only in the sense that they have lots of of calories. But there was recently a massive review of all the dietary research on the health benefits and detriments of food high in cholesterol. It turns out only for diabetics are eggs a problem as far as creating plaque in the circulatory system. Actually, refined carbohydrates seem to be the chief villains in this regard.

Additionally to that they are also a lot more careful about checking and making sure that the eggs used do not contain harmful bacteria like salmonella..

Complete media hyped over-reaction.. Like everything else in life it's about moderation, not exclusion..

Actually, I have tried Dukes mayonnaise and it is delicious. As is Kewpies in the blue bag. It definitely does not taste like salad dressing since it has no sugar and has 13 percent egg. A lot higher quality product than Heinz.

As for mayonnaise or egg being unhealthful, only in the sense that they have lots of of calories. But there was recently a massive review of all the dietary research on the health benefits and detriments of food high in cholesterol. It turns out only for diabetics are eggs a problem as far as creating plaque in the circulatory system. Actually, refined carbohydrates seem to be the chief villains in this regard.

When I tried Kewpie, which was well over 2 years ago, it probably was not in the blue bag, so my comments probably do not apply to that brand/variety. Calories are a concern, but so is the amount of oil and fried food in my diet. I love mayonnaise, but I do try to use it sparingly. When in Asia..................

Disagree they do not taste the same some are much sweeter and others too much vinegar taste so consequently I have absconded with all the stock and hoarding it at my house.. It's an annual tradition for stock to run low this time of year as some may have noticed, so I bought out all the local ones I could find but still have a local Tops market that carries MY private stock!!! :P;):D Hellmans is a close, acceptable, temporary substitute..

From the internet:

Mayonnaise/Miracle Whip

James Bond eats his lobster "with a good mayonnaise." (The book version of James Bond, that is.) If you've got a blender or a wire whisk w/strong arm, it's not hard to make your own. A good, homemade mayonnaise is truly worthy to dress lobster, or any other prime seafood or meat.

I'll give a recipe later on, but meanwhile let's talk about the eternal clash between mayonnaise and Miracle Whip.

Many people mistakenly believe they are the same thing. They are not. Bargain brands of either are also quite different than the original. The closest to homemade mayonnaise is Best Foods/Hellman's, and the next best is Kraft. Other brands differ widely in taste and texture. The cheaper you go, the farther you get from the taste of actual mayonnaise, which should be fluffy, eggy, and without noticeable vinegar. That's because you really do need to break some eggs to make real mayo, and the lesser varities tend to have less egg, and cheaper oils.

Miracle Whip is a unique product. It does seem to start out much like mayonnaise, but has additional sugar and vinegar, which defines it as a salad dressing. (mayo has no sugar, or a tiny amount) I've tried and failed to duplicate it my own kitchen.

I am a fellow mayo maniac. Hellmans and Best Foods are the same. In the eastern US you will find Hellmans most often, and in the western side, Best Foods. The problem arises for us farang in that in thailand most mayo is made for Thai, which love sugar. That concoction sold most, contains 22% sugar, whereas ours, right here in Thailand is more like mmm trying to remember,,,,,,something like 3%. It is correct that Tesco Lotus sells both, 22% and 3%, but in small squeeze bottles, usually mixed in with each other. Read the English ingredients, if not printed on the back labels, that is also hit and miss, have a Thai with you to read the Thai version, also on the back. I prefer Makro for mayo, you can get larger squeeze containers, and fill your own jars, and it is plainly marked on the front label, "Original Mayonaise", and easily verified on the back, showing the smaller % of sugar.

Between Makro, Foodland, and Tops, I have found the vast majority things that Tesco doesn't carry..

Disagree they do not taste the same some are much sweeter and others too much vinegar taste so consequently I have absconded with all the stock and hoarding it at my house.. It's an annual tradition for stock to run low this time of year as some may have noticed, so I bought out all the local ones I could find but still have a local Tops market that carries MY private stock!!! :P;):D Hellmans is a close, acceptable, temporary substitute..

From the internet:

Mayonnaise/Miracle Whip

James Bond eats his lobster "with a good mayonnaise." (The book version of James Bond, that is.) If you've got a blender or a wire whisk w/strong arm, it's not hard to make your own. A good, homemade mayonnaise is truly worthy to dress lobster, or any other prime seafood or meat.

I'll give a recipe later on, but meanwhile let's talk about the eternal clash between mayonnaise and Miracle Whip.

Many people mistakenly believe they are the same thing. They are not. Bargain brands of either are also quite different than the original. The closest to homemade mayonnaise is Best Foods/Hellman's, and the next best is Kraft. Other brands differ widely in taste and texture. The cheaper you go, the farther you get from the taste of actual mayonnaise, which should be fluffy, eggy, and without noticeable vinegar. That's because you really do need to break some eggs to make real mayo, and the lesser varities tend to have less egg, and cheaper oils.

Miracle Whip is a unique product. It does seem to start out much like mayonnaise, but has additional sugar and vinegar, which defines it as a salad dressing. (mayo has no sugar, or a tiny amount) I've tried and failed to duplicate it my own kitchen.

I am a fellow mayo maniac. Hellmans and Best Foods are the same. In the eastern US you will find Hellmans most often, and in the western side, Best Foods. The problem arises for us farang in that in thailand most mayo is made for Thai, which love sugar. That concoction sold most, contains 22% sugar, whereas ours, right here in Thailand is more like mmm trying to remember,,,,,,something like 3%. It is correct that Tesco Lotus sells both, 22% and 3%, but in small squeeze bottles, usually mixed in with each other. Read the English ingredients, if not printed on the back labels, that is also hit and miss, have a Thai with you to read the Thai version, also on the back. I prefer Makro for mayo, you can get larger squeeze containers, and fill your own jars, and it is plainly marked on the front label, "Original Mayonaise", and easily verified on the back, showing the smaller % of sugar.

Between Makro, Foodland, and Tops, I have found the vast majority things that Tesco doesn't carry..

As far as Miracle Whip goes, it is not a mayonaise. It plainly states on the label it is a salad dressing. It was never intended to be a mayo, nor replace mayo. I like it on a salad, but detest it in sandwiches, or any thing else that one would use mayo for. Although MW is a salad dressing, I do prefer mayo in potato and macaroni salads, but green salads, give me Ranch Dressing, or MW. I don't know if other western countries experience this, but in the US, the 2 most common opposites among married couples is 1) one eats mayo, other eats MW and dont try to convert each other, and 2) one swears the toilet paper goes on the roller, flap over the top, the other swears it must come out from under the roll.:fight:

and while youre at it Mr. Health Nut, get an oxygen mask, wear 24/7 cuz doctors here will tell you the entire country is polluting your lungs with dust.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just tried a brand of Mayonnaise which is new to me , usually I buy Kraft but today my local shop didnt have any but had "Molly" , has anyone else seen this brand or is it only local to me here in Chiang Rai . It is very very good and already I am converted to this brand, I think far better than what I usually have .

• 2 weeks later...

Poor poor mayo lovers here...

I mostly make my own mayo, started age 15, cloning my mother's receipt.

In 50 years time must have made over 2000 portions..

1 egg yoke, teaspoon good quality mustard (Amora from France) mix, drop oil drops in soup plate , whisk, add more oil.

Add salt, pepper, lime juice or vinegar and many other ingredients to make different mayo's.

Also the type of oil, type of mustard etc will get you a different mayo.

But still easy to have a jar in the fridge.

Thus living in Thailand since 2002, I bought some Thai mayo, beurks....what's wrong is obvious: 22% of sugar added.

Back to whisk and make my own.

A few months ago found yellow bags at TOPS Udon Thani with plastic soft bottle 250ml, only 6% sugar.

Visited TOPS again yesterday and found same mayo in red bags, Kewpie japanese brand, 0% sugar, but contains MSG.

Probably the best industrial mayo available in Thailand. Will need to check the blue bags.

Anyway, having lived in many countries in Europe and North America I found the best industrial mayo's to be the Belgian/French ones: Devos Lemmens or the more difficult to find Amora with Dyon mustard. All the other brand names mentioned here: Kraft, Hellmans etc, YUKS.

The very local Delaan Mayo, only to be found in some shops around Overijse, Brabant province, Belgium.

Thus on my next trip to Europe in May, I will bring a few jars of the above, and make my own...

For those in Bangkok, Villa at Sukhumvit Soi 11 was being stocked yesterday and their entire range of mayos (many different brands) were back in stock. I got the US Kraft mayo off the newly filled shelf.

mayo liberation, hurrah!...it wuz that fcukin' Gaddafi, he was hoardin' all the mayo...three cheers for the western alliance and their air strikes...fer the love of mayo...

(forgot the smiley) :)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

All the other brand names mentioned here: Kraft, Hellmans etc, YUKS.

The very local Delaan Mayo, only to be found in some shops around Overijse, Brabant province, Belgium.

For my taste the Yuk applies to Amora, Frenchs dijon is worlds better..

An egg yolk, a spoon of lime, good oil low in saturated fat such as canola oil, slowly at the beginning. A spoon of mustard, Amora is fine, salt and freshly ground pepper to taste and finally the coup de grace, 4-5 gloves of crushed garlic.

Yummy :P

An egg yolk, a spoon of lime, good oil low in saturated fat such as canola oil, slowly at the beginning. A spoon of mustard, Amora is fine, salt and freshly ground pepper to taste and finally the coup de grace, 4-5 gloves of crushed garlic.

Hope you meant cloves Phil...:o:rolleyes:

But yeah sounds great to me! :)

how did you get into the gourmet corner of thaivisa? tongue.gif

It was an accident. I turned left in Albuquerque... :blink:

no worries....we can help you out of here....just follow the directions..

no worries....we can help you out of here....just follow the directions..

What does that have to do with gourmet food? :huh: