Do You Check Prices When You Go Shopping?

tartempion

At macro today checked cans of pealed tomatoes "Brooks"

Small cans containing 565 grams at 25 baht, big can 153, contains 2900 grams

quick calculation 25*6=150 baht for 3390 grams, no big cans for me, thanks.

Last week at Lotus: GF picks plastic pack wash softener, 11 baht for 700ml.

I look around the shelve and say Wait: see big pack 2*1liter at 39 baht, yeah good deal :blink:

I look more and see bigger pack, big promotion: 3*700ml at 43 baht, even better indeed.

Processed cheese slices, 6 slices at 65B; 12 slices at 135 both at Lotus.

Macro does better: same brand, only packs with 24 slices at 269, good deal yeah!

Same with liquid soap in plastic packs compared to bidons, smaller IS cheaper!!! (most of the time)

A man that thinks the same as myself. I have noticed this myself. Very often buy bigger pay more. A good ploy by the shops. People automatically think buy bigger pay less, so are less inclined to compare prices. Swines :angry:

jb1

I always compare prices.. why pay more for the same product.

A man that thinks the same as myself. I have noticed this myself. Very often buy bigger pay more. A good ploy by the shops. People automatically think buy bigger pay less, so are less inclined to compare prices. Swines :angry:

jb1

I always compare prices.. why pay more for the same product.

Agreed...I'm lucky enough to be good with numbers in my head so I naturally do the math on pricing and have been lucky that the lovely wife has started to do the same....helps the budget!

B)

mario299

Yes, have noticed bigger is not necessarily cheaper! Also, watch them when the cashiers scan the items...sometimes the scanned price is higher than the displayed price. So you think you got a "special price" according to the shelf label but cash register has not been updated and you end up paying the original higher price.

Always do the math, it works both ways. I saw bleach on sale the other day for 20b per 600Ml normal price 29b per. The large was 76b per 2500ml so 4X600=2400ml @80b while the closest equivalent @2500ml was not only less money but more product per volume..

Good lesson in economics for the wee ones in my company.. If a small is all you can afford, no options, but if not in this case going larger was the way to go, I always said having a bit of extra money allows you to stretch your money further by taking advantage of these things when you run across them instead of having to pay full price when you need it..

Edited by WarpSpeed

I always take a small calculator with me when I visit one of the western grocery stores. Also, it pays to check your register tape immediately after check-out. You see the Thai ladies doing this. At Tops, I've found that sometimes when I get multiples of an item, like 2 boxes of coffee or 3 jars of peanut butter that they scan the item and then enter the multiple incorrectly. I'd like to think it's an honest mistake and that's how I act when I catch it, but I suspect the staff is helping themselves to an extra box of coffee or jar of peanut butter after hours, knowing that the store's accounting system won't be out of whack.

Funny sometimes it works the other way round:

Stopped by at Robinsons Udon Thani to buy two more of these (how do you name these underliers? neat things to put under your plate to make your table look nicer) they were priced 199 each, took two to the cashier and paid 165 for two. I now remember when I bought the same two one month ago I was also surprised the price paid was 160 something. Error or not, dunno

Edited by tartempion

me an my wife are in the US now will be back in LOS April, I cant wait.

But Funny Story, I am in Walmart and I see 3 for $12 then I look at the "each" price, and it is $4,00, you would be amazed how many people buy the 3 to get the special price. :lol:

Deceptive pricing,and poor math skills, not only a Thai problem

Funny sometimes it works the other way round:

Stopped by at Robinsons Udon Thani to buy two more of these (how do you name these underliers? neat things to put under your plate to make your table look nicer) they were priced 199 each, took two to the cashier and paid 165 for two. I now remember when I bought the same two one month ago I was also surprised the price paid was 160 something. Error or not, dunno

"Placemats"???

:whistling:

mario299

Are you kidding? my wife knows the price of everything we buy in every store and checks the till reciept before we leave the store ,if we are overcharged by 1 baht she will go to customer services ,towing me red faced behind :):D

still i wouldnt have her any other way ,as granny said ,look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves.

Yes, have noticed bigger is not necessarily cheaper! Also, watch them when the cashiers scan the items...sometimes the scanned price is higher than the displayed price. So you think you got a "special price" according to the shelf label but cash register has not been updated and you end up paying the original higher price.

Yes I also check the bar code. If it is different g/f chases after assistant, to check price, sometimes it is as marked up.

Hey just as well this is all anonymous. Talk about losing street cred? :ph34r:

jb1

Yes I also check the bar code. If it is different g/f chases after assistant, to check price, sometimes it is as marked up.

jb1

Yes definitely all you guy shoppers are pretty sad :rolleyes:

I check prices all the time. It's just a habit I've gotten into everywhere. But, sometimes I just don't care and forget about value for my money. If I want it I'll buy it.

But, getting back to the basic theme of this topic, I always find it funny that in Thailand it is often LESS expensive to buy in smaller quantities rather than the so called large, ECONOMY packages. Why this is so I have no idea. Maybe it's the same reasoning that makes a Thai RAISE his prices when he gets fewer customers... rather than the normal practise (used around the globe) to lower prices and attract MORE customers.

Are you kidding? my wife knows the price of everything we buy in every store and checks the till reciept before we leave the store ,if we are overcharged by 1 baht she will go to customer services ,towing me red faced behind :):D

still i wouldnt have her any other way ,as granny said ,look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good reply, thaimate. I always get a laugh about some thai customs and their worrying over a few baht when time seems to mean nothing. They will take a 4 hour ride on the crowded bus that stops EVERYWHERE, just to save 20 baht, when the VIP bus gets there 2 hours sooner. ;)

Yah gotta luv-em :D

Ill make the story even more sad. I cook too more then the gf.

The reason being if i want healthy food of good quality i better prepare it myself making sure its fits in my diet. That is also the reason that i shop. The wife usually is working so i do stuff like that. I kinda like it back in Holland i took care of myself why change it here.

I bought a Steak house restaurant that had an all you can eat salad bar, (50 different hot and cold items). The place was doing $6,000 a week in sales (break even was $10,000). They listed steaks at $7 and add a salad bar for $3. I changed the menu to all you can eat salad bar $4.99 and add a steak for $4.99. Sales went to $20,000 almost overnight. Everybody talked about the $5 dollar steaks being such a good buy. Price points are very important.

Once a week I take the GF to MacDonald's for a fish sandwich. I order a fish sandwich alone. She orders a fish sandwich, fries and a coke. Then she gets into a discussion with the cashier on the most economic way of doing this order. The fish sandwich is always cooked to order so we go a table and wait a few moments. In ten weeks I have received ten different orders at 10 different prices. Sometimes a big fry. Sometimes double fish sandwiches. Sometimes a giant coke. The prices are always different. Even the prices for two single fish sandwiches on the receipt are different. I am not complaining because the sandwiches are cooked to order and hot. I just think it is funny. I giant chain like Mac's can't seem to come to grips with super sizing logistics.

Perhaps it was Thai Visa that I read the story about the old man and his Thai wife shopping. The man was checking the prices of large and small packages of cold cuts. He pointed a buy out to his wife and made her change her selection. She, shaking her head and wheeling the grocery cart was heard to mumble, “no wonder all Falang rich.”

The reason being if i want healthy food of good quality i better prepare it myself making sure its fits in my diet. That is also the reason that i shop. The wife usually is working so i do stuff like that. I kinda like it back in Holland i took care of myself why change it here.

Good for you, I guess I am just not cut out for that kinda thing.:rolleyes:

jb1

Any guy who does the shopping can tell you, girls who work in the bakery are kinky. They may be a little on the chubby side but definitely fun ladies.

Good for you, I guess I am just not cut out for that kinda thing.:rolleyes:

Good thing everyone is different would be boring otherwise. I don't see my father doing any cooking too (or at least i would not consume it without risking my life).

I do draw the line somewhere i hate cleaning the house. Either the wife or the cleaning lady does that. I make much more then what she charges for cleaning. It would be a waste of my time to do this.

I do draw the line somewhere i hate cleaning the house. Either the wife or the cleaning lady does that. I make much more then what she charges for cleaning. It would be a waste of my time to do this.

That is the number one rule in business where you are earning a living on your own time. Hire someone to do the menial stuff if you can earn more by doing something else.

Hee Hee, robblok, same here I do just about all the cooking. Because I enjoy it and my dear lady is at work. Don't you just hate it when they are late and don't call you :whistling:

jb1

Edited by jimbeam1

Hee Hee, robblok, same here I do just about all the cooking. Because I enjoy it and my dear lady is at work. Don't you just hate it when they are late and don't call you :whistling:

jb1

Im alone most of the time or when she is free she will eat Thai food. I just try to eat healthy, i found that i gain weight much too easy on Thai food. I don't really enjoy cooking but i do enjoy the fact that i loose weight if i stay on a healthy diet with lots of vegetables and proteins.

Yep, not so much anymore now that my wife has learned to cook quite well most everything we like but in the past and I still do when needed and she's not here much of the week while at work..

What gets me is how they charge for refill packs... Many item have refill packs, there not the same size/ contents, sure people never look or work it out, the same contents work out far more expensive.... Buy one get 1 Free is cheaper, but here mostly it is buy 2 get one free, the shoppers are filling up there shopping carts, yet if they worked it out even with the free pack it is still more expensive the the regaler size, sometimes there are some very good deals but not to often