Installing A Private Line Into Budget Accommodation In Bangkok

NasiW

I'm looking at renting a room/studio in Bangkok... On a budget.

Subsequently; I'd instruct an ISP to install a new line (Copper, Fibre or Co-Ax) into the room.

Having already looked at BKK condominiums; They generally seem to have private telephone exchanges and/or pre-existing arrangements to distribute DSL/Ethernet/Wi-Fi within the building. Also; many are owned by REIT's and under management, making it difficult to come up with any negotiated solution about drilling into walls etc.

At the moment I'm living in Pattaya. The building owner lives here also... So, it'd be easy enough to bring something into my room with the AC piping.

Could anyone offer me any advice, about finding somewhere to stay in Bangkok, where I'd be able to do this?

Why do you want a new line so badly? Wouldnt it be better to see if the place you are going to has something already in place? Many do. Even if they have a private exchange a direct line (with ADSL) can be wired around it quite simply.

You also have wireless, 3G etc. so there should always be some solution no matter where you go.

Many condo's won't allow you to get your own telephone line and be stubborn on letting you use their overinflated rate's telephones, not much you can do about it, just keep looking for the best offer around

Without having access to the Tabien Ban (House Book) you will not be able to get a private line. Plain and simple. Most budget accommodations will not give you this. They will be held responsible for your bill should you skip.

Better consider a wireless method. WiFi, 3G, CDMA, or EDGE/GPRS.

Without having access to the Tabien Ban (House Book) you will not be able to get a private line. Plain and simple. Most budget accommodations will not give you this. They will be held responsible for your bill should you skip.

Better consider a wireless method. WiFi, 3G, CDMA, or EDGE/GPRS.

With the now total ubiquity of mobile phones, most apartments have given up on their restrictive phone policies. Even in budget areas like Phra Khanong where I live, most inexpensive apartments now offer computer connections of some sort.

The most important thing to determine when renting is the electric rate they charge. The standard rate is just over 3 Baht a unit, most mark it up to 5 Baht but some go as high as 9 or 10. If you use AC during hot season, it can really add up.