True And Bittorrents

KKvampire

Yeah I noticed this too.

But now at 11:30 pm one of the torrents is

moving at a respectable 150kbps.

But everything else is dead quiet both Up and Down loading.

I am encrypted, JFYI

Hope it is just a temporary thing.

Edited by paulfr

TRUE is definitely limiting downloads from USNET servers the last few days. Appears it starts at 12 noon and likely ends at midnight but have not checked that. A 40x reduction in speed and very erratic.

TRUE is definitely limiting downloads from USNET servers the last few days. Appears it starts at 12 noon and likely ends at midnight but have not checked that. A 40x reduction in speed and very erratic.

Change your port use SSL connection.

Still running full speed here. I disconnected and then reconnected to the server.

Interesting enough if I use 20-30connections now I get about half speed that I got few weeks ago.

But if I connect 100 connections to easynews servers can max it out at 6.0MB/s+

Perhaps they are throttling individual connections and 100 connections bypasses that restriction or throttle

It has not happened to me today (yet). Did get erratic a bit from 1145 to noon but has be at set limit OK since. Perhaps they are/were testing something and have there data? Had been happening for only the last several days (believe started Saturday) but don't use that often so might have been longer. I did revert to BT for awhile to see if that was working and had no problem using that.

Still running full speed here. I disconnected and then reconnected to the server.

Interesting enough if I use 20-30connections now I get about half speed that I got few weeks ago.

But if I connect 100 connections to easynews servers can max it out at 6.0MB/s+

Perhaps they are throttling individual connections and 100 connections bypasses that restriction or throttle

What do you mean by a "connection" ??

The number of torrents downloading/uploading at one time ?

Number of ports in use at one time ??

Thanks for your coming explanation

People may be getting confused between those talking about Bittorrent and NNTP/Usenet. Both utilize vastly different protocols.

I have seen no slowdowns on BT traffic across several True installs in metro-Bangkok. TOT seems fine as well. FTP traffic on both networks is fine. I do not use NNTP/Usenet.

I'm at 800-900 kB/s on my torrents, with a 10 Meg true account. A little slower in early evening, but all gravy by 9:00 pm. Don't think there are any other power downloaders like me in my neighborhood. :)

I am curious about your torrent speeds/performance.

Do you get that nearly all the time ?

What percentage of the time do you rip like that ?

About how many DLs and ULs are running on average for you ?

Reason I ask is that I have some 50 torrents all ready for ULding

and many are recent movies, yet less than 10 are active.

AND my speeds are nowhere near the 90% of capacity [900KB on a 10M line]

you are getting.

I am able to get near the 600KB/s that I am paying for for certain

DLs but it is not usual.

I always thought my low rates were due to the BW limits of the

peers I am connected to. And many are international/trans ocean,

so the speeds are limited there too.

Thanks

Edited by paulfr

I'm at 800-900 kB/s on my torrents, with a 10 Meg true account. A little slower in early evening, but all gravy by 9:00 pm. Don't think there are any other power downloaders like me in my neighborhood. :)

I am curious about your torrent speeds/performance.

Do you get that nearly all the time ?

What percentage of the time do you rip like that ?

About how many DLs and ULs are running on average for you ?

Reason I ask is that I have some 50 torrents all ready for ULding

and many are recent movies, yet less than 10 are active.

AND my speeds are nowhere near the 90% of capacity [900KB on a 10M line]

you are getting.

I am able to get near the 600KB/s that I am paying for for certain

DLs but it is not usual.

I always thought my low rates were due to the BW limits of the

peers I am connected to. And many are international/trans ocean,

so the speeds are limited there too.

Thanks

You may want to review some of the many websites and forums which detail methods for optimizing bittorrent performance. Both Google and Youtube will be helpful. Which client are you using? uTorrent has a nifty built-in self-test feature; click on the green check mark and run the test, then change your settings to match.

50 torrents seems like way too many. I might have 5 in total active at any one time. You should also limit your upload speed to no more than 80% of capacity (40 KBps on on a 512 line; 80 KBps on a 1.0M line). There are many, many settings available.

On a 10 Mega-bits per second downstream DSL line, the actual "wire-speed" would be 1,250 Kilo-BYTES per second. You probably do not want to utilize all of your bandwidth for bittorrent downloading? 600 Kilo-BYTES per second might be a good limit to set?

Which client are you using?

uTorrent has a nifty built-in self-test feature;

click on the green check mark and run the test, then change your settings to match.

I am using uTorrent 2.2 [build 23703]

Where is this green check mark for testing and settings ?

Thanks again for your help

Options > Setup Guide, or press CTRL+G.

Correct. Of course not seeing a green check mark anywhere on the UI, (bottom/middle, bottom/right) might be indicative of another issue? :whistling:

post-9615-0-44891300-1298972137_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

^ Yes and no.

I've noticed plenty of times (with UPnP enabled) that the green check mark comes and goes. If no peers connect after a certain amount of time it displays a yellow triangle. However, if it doesn't turn green at all, then there's a problem with your configuration -- usually firewall or port fowarding issue.

Edited by Supernova

World of Warcraft is dead as well- everyone on True is getting incredibly high latency (10000ms+) and frequent disconnects. Seems they changed something last Saturday that's causing all of these problems.

World of Warcraft is dead as well- everyone on True is getting incredibly high latency (10000ms+) and frequent disconnects. Seems they changed something last Saturday that's causing all of these problems.

I can confirm this. At noon every day the connection to the EU WoW Severs just vanishes. I talked to True support for one hour today and they told me a technician would take a look at this. This took me a long time and they asked me at least five times what browser I"m using grrrrrrr And I've got a vague feeling that they have got no idea what I was talking about.

Anyways, let's hope for the best.

P.S. (for a laugh) they told me that "latency 10000 mean server too many people"

Edited by AndreasM

I use ToT and pretty much every day, right at 8am or so, everything slows down. I use bittorrent and have run glasnost to see if they are shaping things. It says they are not.

If I get up early, say 6:30am, I'm running right around 300kb down, on a 3mb connection. At 8am or so, things slow down and by 10am I'm lucky to get 40 or 50 down. Doesn't speed up until well into the night. I limit the upload to 35kb.

This has been going on for a long time...

I did complain to ToT last year. Some guys came out and poked around. Immediately, things picked up...but that only lasted a few days. Maybe they are keeping stats inside my router?