True And Bittorrents

KKvampire

TRUE is definitely limiting downloads from USNET servers the last few days. Appears it starts at 12 noon and likely ends at midnight but have not checked that. A 40x reduction in speed and very erratic.

Same here, from about Saturday as well.

Right now it's still crawling at 0.2Mbps while torrents arrived at full 8Mpbs. On Monday I tried usenet in the morning and it came down ok, finished while I was in the bathroom so I didn't see the full speed, but evenings are terrible.

SSL or not doesn't matter. There are only two ports to monitor for True - 119 and 563, they don't even need to check for content. Did they finally figured that out?

Just noticed that a very new torrent, Tron Legacy, is also extremely slow, even slower than usenet. I suspect they have decided to cut off access to all non-cached content altogether - they run local cache of popular torrents and those come at blazing speed, anything not in True cache is a no go.

Tron has got 5,000 seeds now and 8.4 KiB/s so seeding is not the problem.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I might not be up to speed on their caching policy.

Edited by volk666

It's nearly 6AM, Tron has finished downloading, the speed must have shot up during the night.

Usenet was still crawling but at 100KB/s now instead of 700 usual on my line but after restart and back on SSL it shot up to 500. So it's back for now. Make it 712KB/s.

Edited by volk666

True Ultrahighspeed VDSL

That's a different service, I guess - different rules, different traffic shaping. Now, 6PM, it's down to 20KB/s again.

Tried torrents - 979 KB/s

True is screwing with us, again.

Edited by volk666

Most BT and FTP clients report bandwidth in kilo-Bytes per second. I agree it would help if people were somehow consistent, but in 6+ years of "my ISP is restricting my bandwidth" here we rarely see any consistency (bits, bytes, mega, kilo), accuracy or follow-up so it's all pretty useless other than a release for ranting.

I'm still not seeing any bandwidth constraints on True (or TOT ot CSLoxInfo) on BT or FTP. Most problems are probably related to local congestion, poor client management, trackers going off-line. My seedbox accounts also continue un-restrained. (Note that 6 MB/s is equal to 48 mega-bits per second. :) )

post-9615-0-23567100-1299154854_thumb.jp

Is that kilobits or kilobytes? BIG difference.

I wouldn't be complaining if your torrents are downloading at 979 KB/s...

It's kilobyties.

I'm not complaining about 979 KB/s on torrents, I'm complaining about 20KB/s on Usenet. Usenet uses overseas servers, torrents use local servers that cache popular torrents. When I started Tron the other day it was very VERY new torrent, it had only five or six seeds and so wasn't cached by True, an hour later it had 5,000 seeds but still not cached by True, the speed was below 10KB/s and it was projected to complete in days.

I left it overnight and, sometimes during the night, True has finally picked up on its popularity, cached it, and it was all done before I woke up, probably at that 979KB/s speed.

Now it's 6AM and Usenet flies again. True is definitely up to no good. The bastards definitely restrict international bandwidth on my generic ADSL connection during peak hours - maybe from midday till midnight. In exchange they offer unlimited speeds on what True downloads for us itself. Not bad until you want something not on their list.

Usenet is a paid service, if the problem persists it would become unusable. I wonder what else suffers from True restrictions on international bandwidth? Rapidfire like services? Youtube in HD? Any complains?

When I started Tron the other day it was very VERY new torrent, it had only five or six seeds and so wasn't cached by True, an hour later it had 5,000 seeds but still not cached by True, the speed was below 10KB/s and it was projected to complete in days.

Torrents cached by True... Yeah, I've come across a few and it's blazingly fast (which is no surprise). But these torrents are few and far between. Most torrents I download aren't cached, yet I still manage to get decent speeds.

I wonder what else suffers from True restrictions on international bandwidth? Rapidfire like services? Youtube in HD? Any complains?

YMMV.

But these torrents are few and far between. Most torrents I download aren't cached, yet I still manage to get decent speeds.

There could be multiple reasons why it is so, but discussing torrent downloading itself is dangerously close to breaking board policies.

Try downloading some legitimate content, like Linux distributions, OpenSuse DVD is seeded on torrents, for example, and I seriously doubt it's cached locally. See what speeds you get, at what time and on what connection. And I bet in your torrent client you can see your seeds and peers sorted by country.

Just try, if it's not a big bother, you don't have to complete the download, just measure its average speed.

It's 9AM on Saturday and usenet is at 500+ comparing to 20KB/s on slow eveninng.

Edited by volk666