Water Tanks Larger Then 2000 Litres.

MeMock

Hi Everyone,

I want to replace the old clay pot water tanks we are currently using for drinking water with either a stainless steel one or a plastic one that is called sandstone.

I believe that the clay pots are approx 1,500 litres and we currently use almost three of them between wet seasons. I am therefore looking for something between 4 and 5,000 litres in size.

The problem is that everywhere I look (Ubon Ratchathani) nothing seems to be bigger then 2,000 litres. Any ideas on what I can do. I really would prefer not to have 2 x 2,000 litre tanks in my small garden if I can help it.

Also - does the water have a different temperature depending on if I use steel or sandstone or will it be much the same.

Thanks.

MM

From what I have seen it looks like 2000 is the largest in SS.

This is off the top of my head but I would think that the old clay pots would ensure that the water is a little cooler than in SS tanks, especially if there are in the sun. There will be some evaporation across the walls of the clay pots which will result in lowering the temperature.

From what I have seen it looks like 2000 is the largest in SS.

This is off the top of my head but I would think that the old clay pots would ensure that the water is a little cooler than in SS tanks, especially if there are in the sun. There will be some evaporation across the walls of the clay pots which will result in lowering the temperature.

both ss and plastics available much larger than 2000 liters. all my tanks are 3000 liters, most Inca, but as Inca do not protect water from UV they are only suitable in basement. On the roof I have 3000 liter UV protecting.

stainless rusts to much here close to beach, lifetime only 3-5 years

best quality is fiberglass, but kinda ugly

Must be pretty poor grade of stainless steel if they "rust" seeing as how the the primary function of stainless steel is NOT to rust.

316 also called 18/8

all stainless steel and chrome rusts here in Kata Beach. 326 survives longer but is not available in mass produced tanks. so the serious tank shops sells plastic to Kata Beach

The below link shows anywhere from 150 to 10,000 liter SS tanks are readily available in Thailand. You should be able order these anywhere you see the smaller ones:

http://www.diamondbr...-brand-tank.php

They also have a new line that claims "no rust":

http://www.diamondbr...dimon-tanks.php

the no rust are 304 they say. 304 rusts. 306 needed to not rust in this climate

I have a friend up here in Loei province. His stainless steel tank is often springing leaks and we certainly are NOT near sea water. The leaks do not look real rusty but more like some sort of corrosion.

The common blue plastic tanks come in more than one grade. If you are going to buy one, take a good flashlite and press it against the outside of the tank. If you can see any light coming through to the inside, it is a cheap tank and in addition to growing algae, it will deteriorate on the sun. The good ones are actually three layers with the middle layer being black. We have a good blue plastic 500 liter tank for emergency water on a 3 meter tower. It is in the full sun and is about 10 years old.

I would agree that the fiberglass tanks are the best. We use a 1,500 liter Cotto fiberglass tank for our drinking water and 2 of the large concrete pots for our regular water supply.

They make huge water storage tanks but most stores only handle up to 2,000 liters because bigger ones are difficult to handle and deliver.

Well I thought I replied this morning but looks like my post ended up in cyber space. Will try again although it will be a lot shorter!

Frst up - many thanks to all of you for your replies. All of them provided excellent information of one thing or another.

Reading about the rust with stainless steel and given that every place I have spoken to or seen on line with S/S only offer a 5 year guarantee I have decided to stay away from them.

What I did find was this: http://www.tankcenter.net/product.detail_296622_th_1679270

It is 18,900 for the 5,000 litre. Aqua Clear Elixer.

Has anyone had any experience with these tanks or the company?

Thanks again.

I have 2 x 3,000 litre stainless steel tanks to collect rainwater for drinking and they have been on the land now for 8 years with no signs or rust or corrosion.

There is a sticker saying Advance Green , another saying 3,000 litres and 2 more have faded to nothing over the years.

My wife bought them in Bangkok about 8 years ago for about 13,000 baht each and they have been no problems so far.

Well i think I am going to go ahead and buy that 5,000 litre tank but the truck we had organised has fallen through. Does anyone know anybody who is happy to do a run from Bangkok to Ubon with a tank on the back for the going remuneration?

• 2 weeks later...

In case anyone is interested I ended up buying the 5,000 litre one from that website I mentioned. They don't have them in stock that size but make them to order. 18,900 baht + 3,000 baht delivery.

In case anyone is interested I ended up buying the 5,000 litre one from that website I mentioned. They don't have them in stock that size but make them to order. 18,900 baht + 3,000 baht delivery.

Thats cool :).

I thought Home Hub on the ring road from Ubon to Warin did BIG tanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Billd766,

What was the reason for buying two tanks at 3,000L each? Was it because there was nothing bigger available?

Sorry I missed your reply.

We bought 2 because there are easier to handle than 1 bigger one and originally one was for rainwater storage to drink and the other was general water storage.

After the first dry period with no government water I bought 6 concrete ongs giving me about 9,000 litres of usable water and by 2 years later I had a tanks farm of 20 ongs and about 30,000 litres.

At the time we had me, wife and small son, a friend and her daughter, mother in law, 4 people working for us and 4 or 5 assorted family members at holiday times like Songkran when no water was available.

If you work out how much water is used by that many people for toilets, showers, laundry, cooking and washing up etc that is a lot of water especially if no water comes from the supply for 6 to 8 weeks I needed a lot of storage.

I am supposed to get 6 more down from my wife's shop soon.

Since we built in 2003 there have been another 15 or so houses built plus 3 resorts but the water supply has not been upgraded though the electricity supply seems to have been.