Nai Harn Beach

petercallen

We were at Nai Harn Beach this week and i cannot believe how its changed

Lounge chairs and umbrellas on the beach for the whole length, 3 rows deep right to the high water mark.

Beaches are supposed to be for everyone not just for the commercial operators.

Another ruined beach, what do you think

I thought it had been like that for a long time? Don't forget, it will look a lot worse when the tide is high, as it sounds like it was.

I love Nai Harn, but almost never swim there. We normaly just have a picnic in among the trees, and it's nice to sit and look at the boats as the sun goes down.

Even though it is one of the better ones, it still too 'touristy' for me to want to swim there.

I thought it had been like that for a long time? Don't forget, it will look a lot worse when the tide is high, as it sounds like it was.

I love Nai Harn, but almost never swim there. We normaly just have a picnic in among the trees, and it's nice to sit and look at the boats as the sun goes down.

Even though it is one of the better ones, it still too 'touristy' for me to want to swim there.

Its the first time for us that there has been no beach left to sit on.

4 years ago there were just a few chairs and each year there are more

The tide was not high if it was you would not have been able to walk along the beach.

We take chairs and sit under the trees also, now its the only place left to sit

Its the first time for us that there has been no beach left to sit on.

4 years ago there were just a few chairs and each year there are more

The tide was not high if it was you would not have been able to walk along the beach.

We take chairs and sit under the trees also, now its the only place left to sit

Hi Peter and BTB,

last weekend I was there both Saturday and Sunday, plenty of sand down front, many people not using the chairs. Granted, been working the last few days have not been down there, but again over the weekend plenty of room.

BTB, I'm curious, as typically Sundays I swim one length of Nai Harn (reminds me I need some goggles, been opening my eyes underwater....) why would you not swim there? Do you feel the yachts in there are dumping? I know the Puravarna end is questionable as they run their plumbing right into the water but mostly the water there is pretty darn clear.

Hi Peter and BTB,

last weekend I was there both Saturday and Sunday, plenty of sand down front, many people not using the chairs. Granted, been working the last few days have not been down there, but again over the weekend plenty of room.

BTB, I'm curious, as typically Sundays I swim one length of Nai Harn (reminds me I need some goggles, been opening my eyes underwater....) why would you not swim there? Do you feel the yachts in there are dumping? I know the Puravarna end is questionable as they run their plumbing right into the water but mostly the water there is pretty darn clear.

Don't have any problem with the water, Patong beach is the only water I won't swim in.

Given the choice of a beach that is fairly full of people, or one that is almost deserted, I will take the latter all the time. Like I said, I love Nai Harn, when the sun sets over the yachts, it's lovely. Plus, the play ground is great for the kids as well, nice and shady.

I guess I'm an open space kind of person. I love it when a beach stretches as far as the I can see, with nobody in sight. For me the beach experience doesn't get any better than the northern end of Bang Tao or Layan. No beach chairs just sand and space.

On a recent exploration ride up to Phang Na about 10 minutes north of Phuket I turned left off of 4 at Klok Kloy, following the "Hot Springs" signs. We followed the road all the way to the beach. Powder white sand as far as the eye could see in both directions. It made me think of what Phuket must have looked like 30 years ago. Not a sole in sight. I plan on heading back up there again soon.

As for the springs, it seems there is more than one "hot springs", but the one we saw had a resort built around it. Needs more exploring for sure.

I have also recently found a very secluded small beach on the west coast of Phuket that, due to it's remoteness (20 minute hike), it is usually completely empty. :)

I have also recently found a very secluded small beach on the west coast of Phuket that, due to it's remoteness (20 minute hike), it is usually completely empty. :)

One of my favourite games. Spot the deserted beach on Google Earth, and then play the 'How the <deleted> do I get there' game. I usually take the, kayak from the next beach along, route, rather than the hike.

That's why it's so funny when people slag Phuket off. You can guarantee that nearly everyone that does, hasn't seen even a tenth of the island.

On a recent exploration ride up to Phang Na about 10 minutes north of Phuket I turned left off of 4 at Klok Kloy, following the "Hot Springs" signs. We followed the road all the way to the beach. Powder white sand as far as the eye could see in both directions. It made me think of what Phuket must have looked like 30 years ago. Not a sole in sight. I plan on heading back up there again soon.

As for the springs, it seems there is more than one "hot springs", but the one we saw had a resort built around it. Needs more exploring for sure.

I'm with ya there SB, I once scouted that Hot Springs Resort for business walked down to the beach and was amazed at how desolate and beautiful it is. Will look to take Mrs. Right up there for a weekend one of these days.

BTB-regarding Nai Harn being a tourist beach, I agree due to the amount of hotels right near there, but one thing, as I am down there most weekends, toward the lagoon end where I hang out generally are more Thais in the water than tourists. But agree a lot of people on a high season weekend for sure.

I agree with you Peter, there are many more chairs then there were several yeas ago. Have you been by Ya Nui lately? It's way too full of chairs and umbrellas for such a small beach. It's the King's land to the highest tide line but you wouldn't know it the way some people seem to think around here these days...

All i know regarding Nai harn, is my condo here has increased in value more then my other properties on phuket, now whether i can sell it for the estimated price is another thing, not that i want to sell but it's nice to know something is making a profit, i bought nearly 10 years ago on phuket and experientially relative i can't see how they could go down in value

I agree with you Peter, there are many more chairs then there were several yeas ago. Have you been by Ya Nui lately? It's way too full of chairs and umbrellas for such a small beach. It's the King's land to the highest tide line but you wouldn't know it the way some people seem to think around here these days...

Living in the area full time you would noticed the changes, and Nai Harn beach has definitely changed

The way it is going give it a few more years and its going to be as bad as Patong

I thought all the beaches where classed as the kings property regardless of tide lines, does that mean higher tides then others give the king more and then less beach front land.laugh.gif but i have to agree it is looking a bit of a chair and umbrella land scape, on the flip side i remember when locals complained of the lack of interest regarding nai harn beach, your damned if you do and your damned if you don't

Living in the area full time you would noticed the changes, and Nai Harn beach has definitely changed

The way it is going give it a few more years and its going to be as bad as Patong

Edited by ukfriend

Am so looking forward to the 'low season'.

And, no, don't give a flying fck about the biznizez. Lazy/greedy <deleted>.

Nai Harn was the last bastion of the non tourist enclave, and now it, same every other beach here, has become an over populated, overpriced (given the quality of the food/drinks - yes, I know they now serve 'cocktails' - all of which are <deleted>).

There truly is now, nowhere left here.

So very sad.

Am so looking forward to the 'low season'.

And, no, don't give a flying fck about the biznizez. Lazy/greedy <deleted>.

Nai Harn was the last bastion of the non tourist enclave, and now it, same every other beach here, has become an over populated, overpriced (given the quality of the food/drinks - yes, I know they now serve 'cocktails' - all of which are <deleted>).

There truly is now, nowhere left here.

So very sad.

Try Mai Khao beach. Still virtually empty.