Retired At 50

ThaiPauly

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK so you have made the decison to retire early to Thailand.

maybee you have a marriage Visa instead, whatever.

If you hav'nt got children how do you use your time every day and did you find it a big comedown from the rat race to suddenly find yourself with all this time on your hands? How did you adjust, or hav'nt you yet?

I'm interested to know

Cheers

TP

I am only semi-retired, still work a few months of the year but only to earn the money I need to do the things that otherwise fill my time. These consist of helping (or trying to help...verdict's still out on extent of success) various people in need: 4 Cambodian kids traumatized by an abusive family; another 3 Cambodian kids in need of an education, a Cambodian mother with AIDs whose husband abndoned her, a 35 year old Thai neighbor with no money, little education and early-onset Parkinson's disease, countless Cambodian friends, acquaintances and friends of friends needing medical care, etc etc. There is no difficulty at all in finding folks needing and deserving of help and no more rewarding way to spend one's time. This may sound trite but it is actually true. Although being a health professional gives me an advantage in terms of how much I can assist and somewhat determines the kind of assistance I give, anybody with the will to do so can help and it is my experience that life/nature/God or whatever one wants to call it will direct you to where you are needed if you are open to doing so -- and you will get back far more than you ever give. Guaranteed.

I also seriously meditate, garden, and wage a never ending battle to keep the lovely nature around me on the other side of the windows and doors. But getting involved with helping other people is the most important, and the needs in this world are such that you'll always have as much or more than you can find time for to do. You'll also find that as you do this you are led into situations that challenge you in exactly the areas of personal growth that you need to be challenged...this too is a law of nature.

Actually, our very lives are a job to be done. Paid employment is just a part of it. From that one can retire if one has the means, but there is no retiring from the real job at hand...only failing to recognize and do it. Not meant to sound preachy and certainly not a criticism. We've all been conditioned and misled to think that the goal is to enjoy ourselves and that the way to do that is through various diversions, pastimes etc. All the great religions of the world teach otherwise and my own experience is that they are correct. That ain't the way.

Nice one Sheryl :o

OK so you have made the decison to retire early to Thailand.

maybee you have a marriage Visa instead, whatever.

If you hav'nt got children how do you use your time every day and did you find it a big comedown from the rat race to suddenly find yourself with all this time on your hands? How did you adjust, or hav'nt you yet?

I'm interested to know

Cheers

TP

seems to me a lot of guys who retire to LOS hit the skids ,idleness, ennui, too much booze, talking gibberish to locals, no exercise because its too hot and they drive a car or bike everywhere. a generally dissolute lifestyle leading to an early grave, due to lack of exercise, and fatty unhealthy diet.

and then theres the hassle with the local women possibly leading to a swallow dive off the balcony ! :o:D some retirement !

You obviously did not read any of the posts before you psted Buffy. It seems that the majority of retirees who use this forum are perfectly happy with their lives.

Seems to me that you'll be one of the one's you mention above when yourtime comes.

But maybee with a bit of luck you'll be gone by then, one of those washed up -burnt out Farangs.

I DO hope not though, it's not too late to change your ways :D

...Retirement to me sounds harder that working for a living ....

It's funny you should say that... just the other day I was helping my g/f prepare some English lessons (freely given, please note, Immigration) for her "sisters" and "cousins" and I found it quite tiring. And that's when I thought "but retirement is supposed to be easy...".

Sometimes I wish I was at retirement stage :D

:D Yeah, right, Doc. :D George said you were in your early 70's. :o

Just do not want to end up that "guy at the end of the bar" as you have mentioned before.

For me 52 almost retired find my working gets in the way of mountain biking and riding motorcycles. Now living in CM is Motorcycle, mountian biking heaven.

Want to spend more time at time gym. love to have a big yard "which will keep me from living inside the moat" so I have a few hours of yard work a day. Love to spend a hour in meditation and yoga. My Thai wif is  yoga freak so I have my teacher. I stink at golf so it's only up from here, love a long walk and a hard hike. After that is all done, sitting on my pourch have a beer or ice tea and maybe read some. To sleep early so I can get up early and feel fresh, and a clear mind. What to volunteer maybe wash dishes at your resturant :D , not sure I can on my retirement visa, so spend the next 40 years doing and being healthy.

We have a daughter in college in CM. Hope sure finds a good man someday, settles down and lives near us somewhere close enough and I can play grandpa. Just with help from friends not end up the "guy at the end of the bar"

I wanna be that guy at the end of the bar ! pick me pick me ! :o

I am going to keep my opinions about religion to myself as I have a feeling that you would not like them :o

Come on, Uncle, let it all hang out....

let it all hang out....!!!!!!!!!!!! Could get arrested for that.

No, Mr Bad High,

I learnt long ago that my opinions on religion are best kept to myself. It's a debate that cannot be won.

Lets just say that I respect peoples right to follow the religion of their choice. I just detest it when they keep shoving it in my face (No double entendre meant :D )

Buddism is obviously the main religion here, and as far as they go, it's a pretty good one.

Personally tho, I feel that the world would be a better place if religion had never been invented.

That's as much as I'm prepared to say............sorry :D

Personally tho, I feel that the world would be a better place if religion had never been invented.

That's as much as I'm prepared to say............sorry :o

Well, I strongly agree. Without religion and fervent nationalism most of the world's troubles would disappear. Of course, we're straying way off topic here, so I'll leave it at that.

I am going to keep my opinions about religion to myself as I have a feeling that you would not like them :o

No, Mr Bad High,

I learnt long ago that my opinions on religion are best kept to myself. It's a debate that cannot be won.

Lets just say that I respect peoples right to follow the religion of their choice. I just detest it when they keep shoving it in my face (No double entendre meant :D )

Buddism is obviously the main religion here, and as far as they go, it's a pretty good one.

Oh God, religions. They can give one a taste of God that maybe they would not get otherwise, there is so much more, but gosh darn, religious sure do cause lot of our world problems.

I believe we are spiritual beings having a humane experience not the other way around. Off topic I know.

No, Mr Bad High,

Oh God, religions. They can give one a taste of God that maybe they would not get otherwise, there is so much more, but gosh darn, religious sure do cause lot of our world problems.

I believe we are spiritual beings having a humane experience not the other way around. Off topic I know.

IMO, there is a big difference between organized sectarian religions and the original teachings that they claim to represent. My reference to religons referred only to the latter, not the former. I don't begrudge anyone the practice of an organized religion or want to critize any of those institutions, but my own study, meditation practice and expereince have shown me that what all the major world religions originally taught and what goes on in their name are often very different, sometims even contradictory.

Í find a definite body of universal truth that resounds in all the original teachings.

It's a shame that the failings of organized religion lead so many people to miss this and in some cases to reject the spiritual dimension of life altogether thinking that anything 'spiritual'or 'religious' has to mean churches or wats and rituals etc. Anyhow, while studying the original teachings of the main religions and spiritual writings of a wide range of people has been helpful to me in developing my own understanding of what it is all about, it has been my own experience and practice that was crucial. For those who don't want to study any spiritual or philosophical teachings, it doesn't really matter as long as they stay open to the possibility that there is a spiritual dimension of some kind to our lives and pay attention to what one can observe and experience for one's slf in that regard. Truth is truth and ultimately that is the only way to find it. The body of knowledge handed down by others is just a tool for those who want to avail of it. Anyone who can lay aside ego and make an honest attempt to figure out what it's all about will arrive at the same place sooner or later.

I don't think this is off topic at all....aging and retirement lead directly to the question of what our lives are all about. I don't know what the OP thinks of the responses he/she has gotten, but the original post presented a question/dilemma that is at root about a whole lot more than what to do to pass the time.

I believe we are spiritual beings having a humane experience not the other way around.

Well put Mr Middlepath and Sheryl

I believe that I am actually what can be described as a spiritual being in many ways.

I don't believe that we are an accidental mixture of chemicals and electrical pulses. I believe in the Soul, respecting others and trying to live a good, just life, but I'm not a mad keen fan of religions.

I am 38 and could have retired 3 months ago. I will retire by the time I am 40. My entire adult life has been work work and more work and I look foward to moving to the LOS with the wife and do the things that make me and the family happy. I know my golf game will get better, and the little woman has no problem going to the golf course with me. I am sure that I can find many things to fill the days of my retirement.

The key is to not get in a rut that you can not clime put of.

Great thread. I got caught up in that internet bust a few years ago. Headed to Thailand to take a little break...2 years later found myself married. So, I thought it was best to try and work for a few more years and build up the nest egg a little more. Unfortunately, I have found out I am just not interested in high tech anymore. But fortunately, the real estate market has gone crazy and my nest egg is good enough to retire on.

So, at age 48, I have decided to retire. While I was in Thailand I had no problems finding things to do. It is amazing how little you have to do in a day to feel like you have done something. And how nice it is to take a day or two break after those "hard" days.

My wife loves living here, so I think we may split our time between the LOS and the US. I think that will keep us pretty busy!

I was fully in the rat race and was amazed at how easy it was to get out of it. And how crazy it really is. Americans work too hard. Just too focused on work. That is one thing I really like about Thailand. Family is more important (to most, at least).

I was fully in the rat race and was amazed at how easy it was to get out of it.  And how crazy it really is.  Americans work too hard.  Just too focused on work.  That is one thing I really like about Thailand.  Family is more important (to most, at least).

Sure family is more important; that's why more often than not you see the whole family on the construction site or rice paddy, working 12+ hrs/day for 150 baht/day or less. Same rat race, different place.

It's funny you should say that... just the other day I was helping my g/f prepare some English lessons (freely given, please note, Immigration) for her "sisters" and "cousins" and I found it quite tiring. And that's when I thought "but retirement is supposed to be easy...".

that's what he told me about you too :D

Always found that work got in the way of the hobbies I wanted to pursue!

Got a condo on the beach at Jomtien before the prices went silly from where we can keep an eye on the wind and go windsurfing whenever possible. Windsurfing keeps me fit and feeds the spirit.

Started building and flying (and subsequently crashing) model aircraft. Getting back into photography and learning all the PC tools that go along with digital photos. Write a couple of columns for the local paper. Play computer games for too many hours a day. Do the domestic stuff that needs to be done, including trying to avoid shoe shops and other feminine pursuits that have to be endured sometimes. Struggle to keep up with movies and music and books.

Give thanks daily for adequate health and for living in LOS!

er..? people. maybe we should close this thread. logic dictates that if we want to be able to receive social security payments when we reach age 62, someone has to work their buns off so we will get it.

right??!???

I'm glad so many people like their work. thank god!

er..?  people.  maybe we should close this thread.  logic dictates that if we want to be able to receive social security payments when we reach age 62, someone has to work their buns off so we will get it. 

right??!???

I'm glad so many people like their work.  thank god!

Even if you retire, you still pay taxes...what did somebody once say...the only thing certain in life is death and taxes... :o

'Even if you retire, you still pay taxes...what did somebody once say...the only thing certain in life is death and taxes...'

Well, true Craigt, except for a certain sum profit on the house we (yours and mine) just sold. Now that was a deal, yes? I guess we did really pay taxes on it all ready, just the amount was tax excempt. :o

'Even if you retire, you still pay taxes...what did somebody once say...the only thing certain in life is death and taxes...'

Well, true  Craigt, except for a certain sum profit on the house we (yours and mine) just sold. Now that was a deal, yes? I guess we did really pay taxes on it all ready, just the amount was tax excempt. :D

That is true! Gotta love some of the tax breaks. Though all the realtor fees, etc. were enough!! :D

Now...where to stash that money so I can live off the interest! And of course pay taxes on it... :o

Well, true  Craigt, except for a certain sum profit on the house we (yours and mine) just sold. Now that was a deal, yes? I guess we did really pay taxes on it all ready, just the amount was tax excempt. :D

That is true! Gotta love some of the tax breaks. Though all the realtor fees, etc. were enough!! :D

Now...where to stash that money so I can live off the interest! And of course pay taxes on it... :o

Why would you have to pay taxes Craigt if you kept your money in an offshore bank account? thats what I do, then draw what I need when I need it. Never paid a penny in 2 1/2 years and the taxman has not asked me for any!

Edited by ThaiPauly

that's what he told me about you too :D

Ooooh, the little liar! So you don't have a foot long white beard and pony tail either? :D

ThaiPauly,

When talking taxes, offshore, etc. A lot depends on where your home country is. US is among the cruelist. Go live overseas for the rest of your life, and you are still expected to file every year.

Reading on expat taxes I learned that it is illegal to renounce your citizenship (American) to avoid paying taxes. :o

SoCal