Explanation Of Terms, Please?

OK, I've done some reading on this forum, but I'm still a bit fuzzy as to what the various terms mean. For example, here's what is posted on the Los Angeles Thai Consulate's web site re: retirement (O-A) visas:

Purpose of visit: To stay in Thailand for a retirement purpose.(Category “O-A”)

Validity of visa: The validity of visa is 3 months.

- "Validity of visa" means that I need to revisit a Thai immigration office every 3 months? Do I then get an "extension of stay"?

Period of stay: Travelers with this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period up to 1 year.

- "Period of stay" means I need to reapply for the visa every year? Can I do that from inside Thailand, or do I need to leave the country? Do I need to reapply form my original country (USA)?

Fee: $ 50 for a single-entry ONLY, no multiple-entry.

- "Single Entry only" -- Can someone explain "single entry" vs "multiple entry"?

Sorry for all the questions. The consulate has not responded to any of my emails so far.

Validity of visa: Time from issue date you have to enter Thailand.

Period of stay: Time allowed in Thailand before you need to extend your stay - you do that at an immigration office in Thailand by 800k baht in bank/pension of that amount, medical certificate, bank account letter. Due each year.

Single entry: You have one use of the visa. Once you enter the one time it is no longer valid.

Short story is you apply for O-A in US using the required documents and when you arrive (within 3 months of issue) you will receive a one year permitted to stay stamp. If you want to travel outside of Thailand during this year you must first obtain a re-entry permit from immigration to preserve your permitted to stay time. In the last week or so you visit immigration with the above documents to obtain a new year permitted to stay stamp.

Very interesting is that they are now saying "no multi entry" as that was a loophole which seems to be plugged if that is true.

Thanks for clearing that up. Is the application for a re-entry permit pretty routine?

Speaking of changes, I also noticed on the web site that they list a transit visa and a tourist visa, as shown below:

Transit Visa

Purpose of visit: For tourism (pleasure) purposes only (Category “TR”)

Period of stay: Travelers with this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period not exceeding 60 days at any time.

Tourist Visa

Purpose of visit:

-To transit to the country of destination (Category “TS”)

-To participate in sport activities (Category “S”)

-The person in charge or crew coming to a port, station or area in the Kingdom (Category “C”)

Period of stay: Travelers with this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period not exceeding 30 days for EACH entry.

how are these different from the tourist visa I usually get upon arrival in Thailand?

You have the type of visa reversed. The transit (TS) is 30 days and the tourist (TR) is 60 days. The transit would be used for someone not allowed 30 day entry without visa or visa on arrival to break their journey. What you receive when you arrive without a visa is a special entry without visa 30 day stamp if you are from one of the 40 or so countries allowed this (you do not receive a tourist visa on arrival).

Long stay for retirement is very simple procedure each year and only takes an hour or so at immigration. You also have to obtain letter from your bank and medical certificate (and maybe letter from your Embassy) so one day should be allowed.

TRANSIT VISA

1. REQUIREMENT

This type of visa will be issued to applicants who wish to enter the Kingdom for the following purposes :

- to travel in transit through the Kingdom in order to proceed to the country of destination or to re-enter his/her own country (category "TS")

- to participate in sports activities (sportsmen, sportswomen, etc.)(category "S") ***

- the person in charge or crew of a conveyance coming to a port, station or area in the Kingdom (category "C")

TOURIST VISA

1. REQUIREMENT

This type of visa will be issued to applicants who wishing to enter the Kingdom for tourism purposes .

. . . Fee: $ 50 for a single-entry ONLY, no multiple-entry.

- "Single Entry only" -- Can someone explain "single entry" vs "multiple entry"?

The Thai Immigration process remains consistently inconsistent. :o

On September 8, the Thai Consulate in Houston issued to me a non-immigrant, O-A multi entry retirement visa ($125 USD) with virtually no fuss. I understand this to mean I can leave and reenter Thailand during the next year unlimited times using this visa.

If you stay in Thailand for 90 days without leaving, you are required to report to the local immigration office. Also, if your Thai address changes, you are required to report the new address to Thai Immigration within 48 hours of the change.

If this is not correct or clear, I am sure one of our wiser members will clarify and correct.

One thing I am unclear on regarding the single entry O retirement visa. Hypothetically, if I enter Thailand initially on June 1 using a single entry O visa , then subsequently purchase a reentry permit upon leaving Thailand on June 30, can I return to Thailand under the same visa July 30, and still be eligible to stay in the Kingdom under this visa for the remaining 10 months the visa is valid?

. . . Fee: $ 50 for a single-entry ONLY, no multiple-entry.

The Thai Immigration process remains consistently inconsistent. :o

On September 8, the Thai Consulate in Houston issued to me a non-immigrant, O-A multi entry retirement visa ($125 USD) with virtually no fuss. I understand this to mean I can leave and reenter Thailand during the next year unlimited times using this visa.

If you stay in Thailand for 90 days without leaving, you are required to report to the local immigration office. Also, if your Thai address changes, you are required to report the new address to Thai Immigration within 48 hours of the change.

If this is not correct or clear, I am sure one of our wiser members will clarify and correct.

One thing I am unclear on regarding the single entry O retirement visa. Hypothetically, if I enter Thailand initially on June 1 using a single entry O visa , then subsequently purchase a reentry permit upon leaving Thailand on June 30, can I return to Thailand under the same visa July 30, and still be eligible to stay in the Kingdom under this visa for the remaining 10 months the visa is valid?

You must report your address every 90 days - it can be done by mail or in person or have someone do for you.

Enter June 1, 2005 and receive allowed to stay stamp May 31, 2006. Obtain re-entry permit which will have same May 31, 2006 date and re-enter using the re-entry permit and the date on it (May 31, 2006) will be the allowed stay.

Enter June 1, 2005 and receive allowed to stay stamp May 31, 2006.  Obtain re-entry permit which will have same May 31, 2006 date and re-enter using the re-entry permit and the date on it (May 31, 2006) will be the allowed stay.

Thanks for the clarification. If you have a non-immigrant, multi-entry O-A visa, there is no need to obtain a reentry permit when you leave Thailand expecting to return prior to the visa expiration date, correct?

Enter June 1, 2005 and receive allowed to stay stamp May 31, 2006.  Obtain re-entry permit which will have same May 31, 2006 date and re-enter using the re-entry permit and the date on it (May 31, 2006) will be the allowed stay.

Thanks for the clarification. If you have a non-immigrant, multi-entry O-A visa, there is no need to obtain a reentry permit when you leave Thailand expecting to return prior to the visa expiration date, correct?

That seems to be how it works.