Suvarnabhumi Airport: A Bad Experience For Travellers

webfact

It's one of the better airports. Of course, minor problems will always happen. Somehow most people in this forum only want to critizise anything here in Thailand. Why do you come here?

Are you sure 't was an airport they built?

To me it rather seems a huge (fish) market (shopping mall) with some plane concourse attached to it :whistling:

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suvarn..is ridiculouus , enter and look for a specific airline, you can't as the directory can't be seen.

Don't get caught in the airport over night, no where to lay down except a corner with sofas , " for Monks Only."

And nothing to eat aside from one lone coffee stand with a few stale day old sanwiches.

( Best airport for a long overight layover is Incheon, Seoul- Fee internet, free showers ( 2 dollar towel rental ) and free lounges to snooze on with a nice cafe open 24 hours)

Koreans are so much more advanced.)

Traveling through Suv when it was brand new there was already water damage visible in the leaking bathrooms, I remember getting lost on way to the gate as the signs were placed too far in advance of where one need to turn to reach a destination.

There were racks of clothing and other overpriced crap in the middle of the concourse one had to drag luggage through while the ever giggling shopgirls cleared a path.

Using the bathroom was inconvenient, sinks have no space to set a bag in order to attend to brushing teeth, make up, etc..

ATTENTION THAILAND! TRAVELERS MAY HAVE BEEN ON PLANES FOR 12 HOURS

Make room in th ebathroom so they can wash up. Paper towels are good and running water works well , too. The sensors on the sinks did not work properly so washing your face was impossible.

Tiny stalls means leaving a large carry on outside the door. And the usual slippery tiling on the floor, just STUPID - evident little thought was put into it.

Just another foreigner's cash sucking machine, Thai style.

Edited by TigerWan

It's one of the better airports. Of course, minor problems will always happen. Somehow most people in this forum only want to critizise anything here in Thailand. Why do you come here?

Are you sure 't was an airport they built?

To me it rather seems a huge (fish) market (shopping mall) with some plane concourse attached to it :whistling:

Olfferto--you are another one who love to critizise the critizisers......and the normal CHILDISH comment why do you come here....Most people on this forum are critzising the airport NOT because they dont like Thailand, its because MOST have had bad experiences passing through it, and air their views. O.K. a few are over the top, but in general it wants sorting out in some vital areas. There are some MONEY westerners that say they never have problems, these are the ones that get access to special lounges, fast track services...drivers picking them up.....and stupidly pay inflated prices for more food on arrival..The last thing I want on arrival is a food venue. I want to say about the posters that speak food is far more cheap in Thailand than the west--YES I agree........................so why has it to be in line with the west at the SWAMPY ????

The last time I left Thailand (last October) I had to queue for more than an hour to get through passport control... the lines were so long, I thought I was going to miss my flight!! I wonder if the situation has improved in this respect?... It wasn't so bad a year ago... I was thinking of returning to Thailand with my elderly mother this year, but there's no way she could survive that queue :( .......

The last time I left Thailand (last October) I had to queue for more than an hour to get through passport control... the lines were so long, I thought I was going to miss my flight!! I wonder if the situation has improved in this respect?... It wasn't so bad a year ago... I was thinking of returning to Thailand with my elderly mother this year, but there's no way she could survive that queue :( .......

I have just one more thing to say about this. Have any of you gone through that sorry excuse for an airport Los Angeles International Airport and encountered the immigration types. They have the sorriest, chip on shoulder, bad attitude, love to send you through second screening to miss your plane (I missed my plane the last time I went through there and had to wait 8 hours to get another flight out of there) and the satisfaction they get when they can get in your face if you say anything. I would rather walk ten miles through a Thai Airport than to go through that LA Airport and have to put up with the crap from those middle aged women who are always ready to take offence at a look, a gusture, or they just don't like your looks if you are a white man. Give me Bangkok anytime. If there is any way I can swing it I will never go through that LA Airport again. Let those self hating sorry incompatant losers have it.

What annoys me most is when meeting someone. You are not allowed to access the area near Arrival Door C. Escalators in that area only go up form level 2 to 3 and security guards block the moving wlakways. The reason (I asked): "Security"!

So meeting someone at Door B is secure, but at Door C is not??? Although there are small signs saying "Meeting Area", they are scarcely useful. All flights on approach to the airport should announce that if someone is meeting you, they will be forced to wait at Door B (unless they are from hotels). And there should be large signs at luggage pick-up to the same effect

... OR, they could just deal with whatever "Security" issue affects Door C and let people meet arriving passengers there!

Definately the worst airport in the world

I've been through alot worse Heathrow for example

Any airport without a pub either inside or with ouside seating where I can enjoy a smoke is the worst at any given time.

The rest is just superficial unhappiness endemic to the species.

What annoys me most is when meeting someone. You are not allowed to access the area near Arrival Door C. Escalators in that area only go up form level 2 to 3 and security guards block the moving wlakways. The reason (I asked): "Security"!

So meeting someone at Door B is secure, but at Door C is not??? Although there are small signs saying "Meeting Area", they are scarcely useful. All flights on approach to the airport should announce that if someone is meeting you, they will be forced to wait at Door B (unless they are from hotels). And there should be large signs at luggage pick-up to the same effect

... OR, they could just deal with whatever "Security" issue affects Door C and let people meet arriving passengers there!

That was the airport's response to the taxi touts who lingered around these concourses.

The problem was a relative of a director of the AOT was behind the touts, so toes couldn't be stepped on.

A few weeks ago I flew to Singapore and just joined my wife in the Thai area going through immigration departing and returning. It saved a lot of time.

I was there on Sunday. Over an hour to get through immigration and then 671 Baht for 2 pints of beer and Pad Ka Pow Moo Kai Dow.

Food is definitely overpriced in the Food Court. Didn't realize how expensive it was until we went there on a trip to Chiang Mai recently. Most of the food prices start at 250 baht for the simplest item. Water prices at many places 100 baht except for Dunkin' Donuts and Burger King, which sold the water for 20 baht. Previously you could buy a sandwich at the magazine sundry store for less than 100 baht and drinks for 20-30 baht but the airport authorities apparently put a stop to that since there are no such food items there anymore. The solution is to stop in the 7-11 or the Family Mart prior to going inside. Of course, those shops probably will get shut down by the airport soon as well.

Now I remember. The next time people pass through the domestic side of Suvarnabhumi, please take a look at the food court to see the customers. My non-scientific study shows that less than 10% of people eating there are locals. That points out to me a couple of possibilities 1) the food is of poor quality or 2) the Thai people view the prices as being totally out of sync as far as value for money goes.

I think a can of coke was 90-100 baht. :bah:

TheWalkingMan

Welcome to any airport, any ferry or any other place where there will be a limited amount of competition as travellers are stuck inside for some time.

Here in Vietnam where living costs can be even lower than Thailand, you pay like 2 usd (60 thb) for a noname-brand water 33 cl bottle in HCMC airport, or 6 usd ( 185 THB ) for a bad sandwich. And as mentioned before you could mention any airport in europe or elsewhere where its the same situation.

And I would rather spend my money in Suvarnabhumi airport than in HCMC airport, as they got a magnificant selection of things you can eat or drink compared to many other airports.

I think you missed the point of the locals not eating there as either the prices are way out of line or the food is of poor quality. I would think that at most domestic airports in the capital city of any country around the world, the locals would be a large part of the customers. They are not in the domestic terminal.

That is what bugs people. The price may look good to the monied up, but what about the flying locals, who I presume are middle class and above. I would not be surprised if they are laughing or shaking their heads at the price of food.

TheWalkingMan

Now I remember. The next time people pass through the domestic side of Suvarnabhumi, please take a look at the food court to see the customers. My non-scientific study shows that less than 10% of people eating there are locals. That points out to me a couple of possibilities 1) the food is of poor quality or 2) the Thai people view the prices as being totally out of sync as far as value for money goes.

TheWalkingMan

Welcome to any airport, any ferry or any other place where there will be a limited amount of competition as travellers are stuck inside for some time.

Here in Vietnam where living costs can be even lower than Thailand, you pay like 2 usd (60 thb) for a noname-brand water 33 cl bottle in HCMC airport, or 6 usd ( 185 THB ) for a bad sandwich. And as mentioned before you could mention any airport in europe or elsewhere where its the same situation.

And I would rather spend my money in Suvarnabhumi airport than in HCMC airport, as they got a magnificant selection of things you can eat or drink compared to many other airports.

I think you missed the point of the locals not eating there as either the prices are way out of line or the food is of poor quality. I would think that at most domestic airports in the capital city of any country around the world, the locals would be a large part of the customers. They are not in the domestic terminal.

That is what bugs people. The price may look good to the monied up, but what about the flying locals, who I presume are middle class and above. I would not be surprised if they are laughing or shaking their heads at the price of food.

TheWalkingMan

I'd reckon flying locals have more money than the rest of them. Anyway, it's got a Burger King and a Dunkin' Donuts. I mean what more do you need? Got smoking rooms too. How does it all compare to . . . . say . . . . Reading Services on the M4 in the UK (service area)? Or Heathrow?

100 Baht for a bottle of water. 2 quid. International airport . . . sounds right.

TheWalkingMan

TheWalkingMan

I'd reckon flying locals have more money than the rest of them. Anyway, it's got a Burger King and a Dunkin' Donuts. I mean what more do you need? Got smoking rooms too. How does it all compare to . . . . say . . . . Reading Services on the M4 in the UK (service area)? Or Heathrow?

100 Baht for a bottle of water. 2 quid. International airport . . . sounds right.

I guess on the water issue it boils down to whether the airport authorities have a responsibility to look after their passengers.

Clearly not....:(

SB was pretty good till they moved the security check to immediately behind emmigration, instead of where it was designed to be.

As for the overpriced food, I buy a sandwich and whatever from Family Mart before exiting the public side, and there are water fountains ( free ) to get a drink from.

I thought moving the security was a great move. First, with the security all in one place, the wait for it is no longer than in most other airports. But mostly, with the security at the old locations, people who wanted to find their gates and get oriented would go through security, then find themselves stuck in a bare, plastic-chaired gate. If you wanted ot use a lounge, you had to leave early to take care of security delays.

Now, right after immigration, you can go through security, find your gates, shop, eat, go to the lounge, and only leave for your gate when boarding commenced.

Previously, I think Suvarnabhumi might have been the only airport in the world where the lounges and shopping were before security, not after.

TheWalkingMan

TheWalkingMan

It's all relative man. If I'm in a western airport then food and drink seem expensive by western standards. If a Thai person is in a Thai airport then food and drink seem expensive by Thai standards. I fail to see the difference really. wink.gif

I have just one more thing to say about this. Have any of you gone through that sorry excuse for an airport Los Angeles International Airport and encountered the immigration types. They have the sorriest, chip on shoulder, bad attitude, love to send you through second screening to miss your plane (I missed my plane the last time I went through there and had to wait 8 hours to get another flight out of there) and the satisfaction they get when they can get in your face if you say anything. I would rather walk ten miles through a Thai Airport than to go through that LA Airport and have to put up with the crap from those middle aged women who are always ready to take offence at a look, a gusture, or they just don't like your looks if you are a white man. Give me Bangkok anytime. If there is any way I can swing it I will never go through that LA Airport again. Let those self hating sorry incompatant losers have it.

Absolutely. I'm a U.S. citizen and believe me, you would never hear me stick up for even .001% of LAX. Thankfully I only went through it one time, but I was expecting a lot more from a place like that, and with so many disgustingly wealthy people in that state too. It's god awful, and they can have it all to themselves for all I care.

I've flown in and out of LAX. Immigration and customs seems to be about the same as most other airports in the US. Never had a problem; never had a delay. Security checks are the big one--everywhere in the US.

Swampy, on the other hand, is usually a nightmare. Immigration are surly and unfriendly, not to mention slow. Much of the staff at Swampy are unfriendly. The difference is, in the rest of the world, I am not told I am landing in the Land of Smiles.

Overall, getting through an airport is not particularly pleasant and it's not the point of my journey. Swampy is as good or as bad as the rest.

TheWalkingMan

TheWalkingMan

It's all relative man. If I'm in a western airport then food and drink seem expensive by western standards. If a Thai person is in a Thai airport then food and drink seem expensive by Thai standards. I fail to see the difference really. wink.gif

Of course airport food is usually more expensive than outside the airport, that is all very usual and to be expected. That is not the point.

Maybe I have not traveled enough, but has anyone passed through a domestic airport, in a country's capital, where let's say 10% of the patrons in the food court are locals and 90% are tourists. The only reason that I can see for this disparity is that the pricing is way out of line for the local population.

Street price of a can of coke is 15 baht, I think. In the airport 90-100 baht. That is way out of line. 50 baht would be ok, but 100 baht? I would give more examples, but I cannot remember. Sorry.

Pop into that food court on the ground floor near exit 8(?) and that place is busy with locals and non-locals. Why, because the prices are pretty much in line with the rest of the country.

TheWalkingMan

TheWalkingMan

Of course airport food is usually more expensive than outside the airport, that is all very usual and to be expected. That is not the point.

Maybe I have not traveled enough, but has anyone passed through a domestic airport, in a country's capital, where let's say 10% of the patrons in the food court are locals and 90% are tourists. The only reason that I can see for this disparity is that the pricing is way out of line for the local population.

Street price of a can of coke is 15 baht, I think. In the airport 90-100 baht. That is way out of line. 50 baht would be ok, but 100 baht? I would give more examples, but I cannot remember. Sorry.

Pop into that food court on the ground floor near exit 8(?) and that place is busy with locals and non-locals. Why, because the prices are pretty much in line with the rest of the country.

TheWalkingMan

It obviously makes sense in your head, but I don't think it has traveled much beyond that. Essentially what you just said is: the more expensive places aren't as busy with foreigners or Thais, while the more reasonably priced place is packed with tourists and Thais alike. Thank you, Captain Obvious.

TheWalkingMan

TheWalkingMan

Picture this LHR airport. food and drink prices up a bit from the high street, expected, USA. LA. same approx. Bulgaria prices lower because high street prices are lower. Bangladesh prices lower still as then they reflect their wages and standards..not forgetting I as a traveller am paying for these rates immaterial to what money I have or where I,m from. So we go into Changi-Singapore and yes more expensive about European rates.

Now MY GRIPE is we have Swampy in an area in SE Asia that is expected to be at the lower level, to reflect wages paid, etc. BUT low and behold This is LOS, so we can rip you off, So I,m asking posters WHY do they have to get massive profits at this airport.

TheWalkingMan

Picture this LHR airport. food and drink prices up a bit from the high street, expected, USA. LA. same approx. Bulgaria prices lower because high street prices are lower. Bangladesh prices lower still as then they reflect their wages and standards..not forgetting I as a traveller am paying for these rates immaterial to what money I have or where I,m from. So we go into Changi-Singapore and yes more expensive about European rates.

Now MY GRIPE is we have Swampy in an area in SE Asia that is expected to be at the lower level, to reflect wages paid, etc. BUT low and behold This is LOS, so we can rip you off, So I,m asking posters WHY do they have to get massive profits at this airport.

Simple, because they can and probably have a good reason. This is one of the most visited countries on Earth, maybe the most visited. The airport also serves as a hub for more destinations than just Thailand. Look anywhere else in the world at a place that comfortably knows it will be busy and see how many of those don't profit off of people individually rather than looking at the whole, macro picture (which are actually one and the same).

Maybe you've never owned your own business before (I wouldn't know of course), but popular destinations have their reasons for getting more expensive. It's not just a company jacking you every time. Everything goes up in price over time. Things break and need to be replaced. Add enough people, and it demands more staff who all get salaries etc. All that uses more electricity and water, just utilities period. Guess who pays? Whoever is responsible for the bills of course. Guess who they charge? Their customers of course.

Before I owned my own business I was one of the people always assuming high prices were just a load of crap aimed directly at my wallet. That changed. For anyone reading this who does not own a business, but would like to one day try and remember this: it's extremely easy to break even or lose money even when you think your prices are right and fair. A business must try and survive and the fates of individuals within cannot be taken too seriously when compared to the success of the overall venture. It's not fair, and it's even cruel sometimes, but it's life.

Just so you know I'm not a meanie. smile.gif

Ha ha ha, yesss, that's one terrible thing that hasn't been mitigated. They in fact have giant monitors at the gate, just before you enter that immigration hall, that is supposed to help distribute queues efficiently between the two immigration halls so that one doesn't get overloaded as the other goes underutilised. I once benefitted from that monitor as no one was watching that screen and it was a helpful lady staffer who told me to go to the other where I was surprised to see no rush. But in the succeeding trips I noticed the queues are looooooooonnnng at both halls. Yes, it takes an hour and I haven't understood how this situation has come about when earlier this was never a problem. Sometimes the queues are so long you actually have to wait in a queue OUTSIDE because there is no place inside. But I tell you this : it is interesting to observe the mixed group of travellers drawn from different countries and cultures who wait patiently and coolly in that queue.That last hour in Bangkok is therefore spent well, as you rarely get to be in such a widely diverse group, though rarely does anyone speak to another stranger.

Do take your mom there. I am sure the kind souls there will assist you and disarm you with their charm and kindness.

TheWalkingMan

TheWalkingMan

This argument might be quite moot. As all airports are expensive.

Absolutely. I'm a U.S. citizen and believe me, you would never hear me stick up for even .001% of LAX. Thankfully I only went through it one time, but I was expecting a lot more from a place like that, and with so many disgustingly wealthy people in that state too. It's god awful, and they can have it all to themselves for all I care.

Why the hate for LAX? I go through there several times a year. No long waits of immigration (and no immigration outgoing.) Normal security . No long walks. Heck they run little shuttles between some terminals after security. Food is not too expensive. And they have the best USO of any in the world.

A pretty airport is nice, but I want convenience.

Why the hate for LAX? I go through there several times a year. No long waits of immigration (and no immigration outgoing.) Normal security . No long walks. Heck they run little shuttles between some terminals after security. Food is not too expensive. And they have the best USO of any in the world.

A pretty airport is nice, but I want convenience.

That's all good and well. I have only been through it once, so didn't really catch much of what you stated. I have heard other people complain about before too. I think the crux of these comments were that the original poster and myself agreed that some of the staff can be very rude and turn it into an experience one wishes to never repeat. I can see that you've experienced it quite differently though. smile.gif

Just a little update.:ph34r:

I landed in LOS last friday at 18.00. The queues were pretty bad at the first station, but the second was almost empty. I sailed through in 5 minutes but had to wait 30 minutes for my case.:blink:

Unfortunately PT Taxi let me down, so I haggled a tout down to 1200B. FYI I flew with Kingfisher & they are very good. I pretty much sailed through security at Mumbai too (relatively), which gave me about 30 minutes for a quick bottle of Kingfisher & a few smokes.:whistling: