Egg Sales In Thailand By Weight Under Question; Egg Prices On The Rise

webfact

Egg Sale by Weight Under Question; Egg Price on the Rise

The Commerce Ministry is defending the decision to price chicken eggs by weight as egg prices continue to climb, while signaling that price control is a possible solution.

Permanent Secretary for Commerce Yanyong Puangraj said the price of chicken eggs rose by about 2.8 percent in January and nearly 10 percent last month.

However, he claimed the rising price does not necessarily mean the weight-based pricing program is ineffective.

Yanyong added that Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva was deeply concerned about the issue, and has asked Cabinet members at 's meeting for their opinions on how to control egg prices.

The permanent secretary noted that although chicken eggs are listed as controlled items under the Prices of Goods and Services Act, they are not subject to a price ceiling.

However, he said the government may decide to cap egg prices if necessary, while the Commerce Ministry must first discuss price control with related departments.

Meanwhile, Yanyong said pricing eggs by weight has been piloted since February at certain markets and retail outlets.

The program has been seen to have only moderate success, as the majority of buyers are still not acquainted with the new pricing system.

The Department of Internal Trade has instructed its provincial offices to determine appropriate locations for egg by weight sales, apart from co-operatives, to expand trial usage of the by weight pricing system.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-03-02

footer_n.gif

The Department of Internal Trade has instructed its provincial offices to determine appropriate locations for egg by weight sales, apart from co-operatives, to expand trial usage of the by weight pricing system.

Did I mention that a bicycle fell down last night in Beijing?:rolleyes:

In the last few months we have gone from buying 30 eggs in makro for 80 baht to 84-85-87-89-90-91 and thats in the span of about 3 months.

An increase of almost 15% for something thats most likely produced in Thailand and people are dependent upon its a lot.

Oh good, cap the price so there won't be any eggs either. First sugar, then palm oil and next will be eggs.

Nah, Ya forgot Diesel :blink:

Diesel is subsidized. Only the taxpayers lose on that one.

The 10 - 15% price increase is small. :whistling:

Visualise it. Market traders, the length and breadth of this ceaselessly Amazing Thailand, juggling small, medium and large size eggs onto their weighing scales to try make up a kilo weight. Perhaps the price increase anticipates %age for breakages?

I think not..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

In the local weekly markets where I live chicken eggs vary from 28 to 34 baht for 10 depending on the size and duck eggs are about 30 to 36 baht per 10.

I have asked 3 egg sellers so far if they would sell me 1 kg of eggs and they all laughed.

A lot of country people have their heads screwed on and know what their customers want even if the government doesn't.