Hello everyone.

Does anyone know if the British Embassy works with a fixed Quota, or limit, for the number of Visit Visas issued in one year ?

And if so, what dates do they work with - Jan to Jan, or April to April like the taxman ?

The importance of this is obvious if true : Good times and bad times to make an application...

Any hard info ?

Thanks in advance.

In a word, no.

In a word, ta ! ....but on second thoughts, how could you really know ? Why would they say ?

Anyone know the actual figures for UK Visitor Visas issued each year ? ( Be interesting

if they show a regular pattern ?)

Edited by crazydrummerpauly

Any kind of cap or quota would have to be expressly referred to in the immigration rules and guidance.

This is why the Coalition got in trouble with the interim cap on Tier 2: they published the number weeks after the cap was introduced!

You could profile the numbers yourself if you had the inclination as they are published with a 2 month lag time.

Remember too that there are many factors that would cause fluctuation in the number of UK visit visa applications and visas issued: the recent global economic problems for example.

In a word, no.

In a word, ta ! ....but on second thoughts, how could you really know ? Why would they say ?

Anyone know the actual figures for UK Visitor Visas issued each year ? ( Be interesting

Edited by bangkockney

The latest statistics can be found here; but these don't seem to show a break down by country for 2009/10.

Archived statistics for previous years which do show a break down of each visa type for each country can be found here.

Any kind of cap or quota would have to be expressly referred to in the immigration rules and guidance.

This is why the Coalition got in trouble with the interim cap on Tier 2: they published the number weeks after the cap was introduced!

You could profile the numbers yourself if you had the inclination as they are published with a 2 month lag time.

Remember too that there are many factors that would cause fluctuation in the number of UK visit visa applications and visas issued: the recent global economic problems for example.

In a word, no.

Thanks v. much for those points and thoughts...i have to confess that my imagination is predominantly paranoid, so it didn't need Wikileaks showing the discrepancy between government pronouncements and covert actions to keep it looking sideways at all official statements of policy ! I take your point about visa-numbers being sensitive to many factors including economic conditions, so examining stats would probably be pointless. I'm just left with the feeling that with 'immigration' anxiety pushing so many political agendas to the 'right', discussions behind closed doors about the desirability of quotas are highly likely ? But my original query is obviously closed - if there is no official annual limit, then there are no 'good' and 'bad' dates to apply/not apply.

The latest statistics can be found here; but these don't seem to show a break down by country for 2009/10.

Archived statistics for previous years which do show a break down of each visa type for each country can be found here.

Thanks so much 7x7 - i will take some time to delve into the stats link, and if there are any patterns, i'll report back.