Pakistani Minorities Minister Shahbaz Bhatti assassinated in Islamabad

News_Editor

Pakistani Minorities Minister Shahbaz Bhatti assassinated in Islamabad

2011-03-02 19:44:45 GMT+7 (ICT)

ISLAMABAD (BNO NEWS) -- Pakistani Minorities Minister Shahbaz Bhatti was shot dead by gunmen in the capital of Islamabad on Wednesday, months after recording a video in which he said he would rather die for his country than compromise.

The state-run Associated Press of Pakistan (APP) reported that Bhatti was killed when unidentified gunmen opened fire on him in Sector 1-8 of the Pakistani capital. The assailants then fled the scene by car.

APP cited Bhatti's private secretary as saying that the Minister's car was intercepted by the attackers' car which came from the opposite direction. One of the persons inside the car then opened fire, striking Bhatti in the face and in the upper parts of his body. He was pronounced dead after he was rushed to Shifa Hospital.

Bhatti was reportedly on his way to a meeting of the Federal cabinet with no security guards when he came under attack. A burial ceremony is expected to be held when his brothers return from Canada and Italy.

Late last year, Bhatti recorded a video in which he answered questions about the threats he was receiving. The video was released by the BBC on Tuesday after the Minister was shot dead.

"I will prefer to die for my principle and for the justice of my community rather than to compromise on these threats," Bhatti said in the video, saying he would not change because of the threats he was receiving.

Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari condemned the assassination of Bhatti, calling it a "heinous act" but adding that the government would not bow to extremists and terrorists. Pakistani Prime Minister Syed Yusuf Raza Gilani also condemned the murder.

Internationally, the U.S. Ambassador to Pakistan, Cameron Munter, also condemned "in the strongest possible terms" the murder. "On behalf of the American people, I extend our deepest sympathies to his family and to all Pakistanis," he said in a statement released by the U.S. Embassy in Islamabad.

"Minister Bhatti was a Pakistani patriot and a voice for understanding who committed his life to public service and fulfilling the Quaid-e-Azam’s vision for his nation as a beacon of democratic tolerance," Munter added. "His death is a loss for all who believe in the values for which he gave his last full measure of devotion."

European Parliament President Jerzy Buzek also released a statement, saying the assassination of Bhatti is "a personal tragedy, but also a terrible defeat for fundamental human rights, far beyond his own country."

"I mourn his death and I send my sincere condolences to his family and friends. My heart and thoughts are with them and with all those who show exemplary determination and courage by risking their life for religious freedom and tolerance," Buzek added. "The perpetrators of this cowardly act of brutality have to be brought to justice."

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-03-02