First Time Coming To Thailand

TheFishman1

First I like to thank everbody on this forum for some good info.I am coming to Thailand for the first time my question is do I change money at the airport?When I first get there I will have U.S.Dollars,in other country when I first come in I use that any advice would be helpfull,also It seem like a lot of people on this forum have scared me about the airport,I hope I don't get loss from plane to getting my bags.Thank again for any advice

The airport is like any other, just follow the masses :)

Change a minimum of currency at the airport, enough to get you into town and for initial spending, say US$100 (3000 Baht). The changers in town have better rates.

i usually change 50 eur at airport and ATM the rest as and when needed, i have in the past took large amount of cash to exchange there but that carry's obvious risks. You can get a taxi into bangkok for 200-250 baht.

Thai atms also charge 150 baht for foreign cards, so you might want to take out the max each time, 20,000 baht. Or not if you're worried about losing it or controlling your spending

Depending on if you have a good credit card i would just use the ATMs. Check with your bank on foreign withdrawal fees.

Cash changing is robbery :bah:

I dont agree.... the exchange you get at an ATM with a foreign credit card is poor....You have done the right thing by bringing cash

For best rate IMO

1 -Black market

2- http://www.superrichthailand.com/editor/rate.html

3-Bank

4-Airport

5-ATM

One ought to also factor in safety and hassle. With that, carrying wads of cash into foreign countries just to save a couple bucks is a fool's game. I'm consistently bemused by those who have that old mindset. Do yourself a favour and use your US debit card, cc as backup, bringing in just enough for a day or two. For max convenience, even buying $100 worth of baht before leaving is really not going to cost you that much and you won't have to mess about, or use an ATM in Arrivals. While here, you'll get good rates from ATMs and to negate the 150 baht charge, look for Aeon as they were still not charging couple months back.

Although it gets bad press (mainly through the operator/gov always talking up how great it is and the fact that it is not one of the world's best), most of the problems are when going out. Walk right past taxi touts and anyone that approaches you and follow 'public taxi' signs, Level A now I think. Trains and buses ain't for first timers, you'll still generally need a taxi other end. Get yourself door to door and relax.

For starters. The airport is fine. Make sure you use only metered taxi, if not taking public transport. I would max out on travellers cheques, then cash. For best rates. Again exhhange at places such as Western Union, for best rates. Enjoy.

jb1

If you do use ATMs be as careful as you would in your own country, as they have the same scams here.

Edited by jimbeam1

For starters. The airport is fine. Make sure you use only metered taxi, if not taking public transport. I would max out on travellers cheques, then cash. For best rates. Again exhhange at places such as Western Union, for best rates. Enjoy.

jb1

If you do use ATMs be as careful as you would in your own country, as they have the same scams here.

Do Western Union agents in Thailand have money exchange service?

I suggest you exchange around $100-300 at the airport. Though, the rates in the airport is almost the same with the banks outside. Using your debit card/ATM is also advisable when traveling to other countries even here in Thailand.

Enjoy!

Thanks everbody,got and lower level A for taxi?one more question how much can you legally bring in and how much can you take out .Thanks again

Top level departures for a taxi, the lower ones are have saloon cars that are 1000baht to bangkok. You can also get the new sky train.

Warning given for public discussion of moderation and associated posts removed. Per forum rules:

In using Thai Visa I agree:

21) Not to discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.