Advice Needed re. Pattaya Real Estate

toffo9

im thinking of selling my home and coming to thailand. is it possible for me to build my own home and also build another and sell it. then with the revenue i make on the home i sell use it to keep rebuilding. is this possible and how would i go about it. thanks for your help.

toffo9 i have had a couple of houses built and its very hard work , not so much from the thais but from the fact that i cannot speak thai , the thais builders are the same as in the U K , they will cut corners so you have to watch them all the time , other things like putting traps under wash basins baths etc , they cannot grasp its to stop your bathtroom from stinking , electric cables , why you want hidden ? also you have to be very patient as thai time is not the same as ours , i have seen them turn up at 12 oc get food then have a nice little sleep , one bit of advice is get your self a good translater who has nothing to do with the builders , and dont think your thai lady will do it for you , unless she has experience in house building

good luck to you , you will need it

im thinking of selling my home and coming to thailand. is it possible for me to build my own home and also build another and sell it. then with the revenue i make on the home i sell use it to keep rebuilding. is this possible and how would i go about it. thanks for your help.

If you need to ask others how to go about it then this project is obviously not for you !!!

:o

toffo9

I dont mean to offend so please dont take this the wrong way - its not meant to sound patronising... I keep seeing you posting new questions around the forum asking for all kinds of advice - if you have enough money, how much for a condo with a swimming pool, could you build 2 and sell one & maybe turn that into a business, where to live etc.

You've said that you are disabled and that you've never visited Thailand before, yet you have a substantial amount of money to create many opportunities for yourself.

The reason I post this is because I dont see what the great rush is, do you need to make this move quickly?

Have you considered visiting LoS for a long holiday 6-12 months, travel around to the areas that intrest you or you've heard others talking about, spend time getting a feel for the place, the people, the climate, see how easy or difficult you find it is as a disabled person in LoS and spend time speaking to others that are already living or working or have been holidaying there for years and can see how the country is changing.

Although you will get alot of invaluable advice from this site - Im sure Im not alone in thinking that you would learn so much more just from a few months actually out on the road (as it were).

toffo9

I dont mean to offend so please dont take this the wrong way - its not meant to sound patronising... I keep seeing you posting new questions around the forum asking for all kinds of advice - if you have enough money, how much for a condo with a swimming pool, could you build 2 and sell one & maybe turn that into a business, where to live etc.

You've said that you are disabled and that you've never visited Thailand before, yet you have a substantial amount of money to create many opportunities for yourself.

The reason I post this is because I dont see what the great rush is, do you need to make this move quickly?

Have you considered visiting LoS for a long holiday 6-12 months, travel around to the areas that intrest you or you've heard others talking about, spend time getting a feel for the place, the people, the climate, see how easy or difficult you find it is as a disabled person in LoS and spend time speaking to others that are already living or working or have been holidaying there for years and can see how the country is changing.

Although you will get alot of invaluable advice from this site - Im sure Im not alone in thinking that you would learn so much more just from a few months actually out on the road (as it were).

Great advice :o

toffo9

Great advice :D

Seconded :o

Also, toffo9, who or how are you going to buy the land. Have you got a Thai wife? Seeing as you've never been before i doubt it. Therefore, this only leaves you with setting up a company, to be able to buy the land. You still have much research to do before ploughing your dosh into a project like this and potentially losing it. Take rio66uk advise :D

i dissagree , its very easy to set up a company , 28,000 baht for company , and about 15,000 baht a year in taxs with the solicitors charges , thats for a 1 million baht holding company , designed just for falans to buy houses in there company name , no work permit required

,it al takes time but it is worth it when you consider land prices have doubled in the last 2 years and are still going up , i have a friend living in view tolay who was to scared to buy at 500,000 baht and now the same condo is worth 1,200,000 baht ,

i dissagree  , its very easy to set up a company , 28,000 baht for company , and about 15,000 baht a year in taxs with the solicitors charges , thats for a 1 million baht holding company , designed just for falans to buy houses in there company name , no work permit required

,it al takes time but it is worth it when you consider land prices have doubled in the last 2 years and are still going up , i have a friend living in view tolay who was to scared to buy at 500,000 baht and now the same condo is worth 1,200,000 baht ,

Sorry poppa but what did i say for you to disagree with :o I never said how hard or easy it is setting up a company. I just said he needs to do more research before ploughing his money into something like this. Would you buy a house in Timbuktoo before actually going there to see what it is like? As for your friend, he doesn't need to set up a company to buy a Condo.

i dissagree  , its very easy to set up a company , 28,000 baht for company , and about 15,000 baht a year in taxs with the solicitors charges , thats for a 1 million baht holding company , designed just for falans to buy houses in there company name , no work permit required

Sorry poppa but what did i say for you to disagree with :o I never said how hard or easy it is setting up a company. I just said he needs to do more research before ploughing his money into something like this. Would you buy a house in Timbuktoo before actually going there to see what it is like? As for your friend, he doesn't need to set up a company to buy a Condo.

yep exactly - nobody has said anything about how easy it is to set up a company... the point was to visit the country before investing any commitment, financial or otherwise into it.

Very possible but hard work, also there are farangs every where looking for the latest new comer to rip off, When you turn up take your time and dont believe anythink you have been told by anyone, Also remember the old saying location location location, if you can buy house-land pattaya-jomtien side of suckumviet road you have a better chance, Anythink east side i would recomened to stay away from, there are many people purchased houses the east side of the suckumviet road and the house isnt worth the money paid, then more and more thais move into the area and then the value drops again and again. Some poeple of this forum will not agree with this. But the proof is in the pudding, just visit at all time of the day where you wish to buy and look for your self. Ask your self the question, do i wont to live here,

yep exactly - nobody has said anything about how easy it is to set up a company... the point was to visit the country before investing any commitment, financial or otherwise into it.

Their are many farangs that have made good money in thailand in real eastate,

If you buy a condo you may have to set up a company, not all condos can be bought in your name

IF you buy a house it would be best to set up a company. (DO NOT BUY A HOUSE UNDER A THAI GIRL FIRENDS NAME, AND DO NOT WRITE A WILL UNDER A THAI GIRL FRIENDS NAME)

if you PM me i will send you the infomation of the law office etc that i use in thailand, visit them, and other offices to find the informaiton relevant to you.

I have bought in thailand, it has been hard work, but when done it is done, then the rest is easy. I have somne friends that have earnt good money.

LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION,

Don't take offence Toffo, Rio is only trying to open your eyes. Many of us have seen people come to LoS with big ideas and big bank balance only to go home on a cheap ticket and nothing in their pockets but disapointment (erm supposing you can carry disapointment in your pockets that is :o ).

It is a fact that "Fools and their money are quickly parted" and never is that truer than for a stranger in a strange land (not calling you a fool by the way).

Do yourself a favour and listen to the advise you get - discount it at your will (and possible peril) - but at least listen (erm, read).

It is a good idea to visit the country long term first (a year or so). Renting is cheap (relatively) and easy to come by - you might find Spain more to your liking for instance. Take your time.

Be very carefull who you trust - especially eager Farangs (sadly). Double check all advice independantly. Take people up on their offers of legal contacts etc here. Check out "Sunbelt Asia" - a sponsor here - as to your business - if you set one up.

It is possible to buy land through a holding company, but if it does no other business, then it is frowned upon. It is possible (likely?) that legislation could come along and close the loophole - consider what this could mean!

Remember too that there are no sharks in the desert - I think its safer there!

Can someone expand on what the problem is with property on the east side of Sukumvit Road? I have seen a number of new build villages such as Chokchoi also some up Soi Khaotalo and all on the surface seem ok.

Obviousley I dont want to buy a white elephant and would appreciate some constructive views on this, I am in no rush and can afford to wait and find something on tesco Lotus side.

To have an idea of what it's like building a house here in Thailand, please feel free to scan through my blog.

I am building a house via a developer... the story to date is all in my blog.

And for the record, I live and work here and have appropriate work permits, visas etc, and funded the project with money brought into the country from overseas.

Edited by Jai Dee

Can someone expand on what the problem is with property on the east side of Sukumvit Road? I have seen a number of new build villages such as Chokchoi also some up Soi Khaotalo and all on the surface seem ok.

Obviousley I dont want to buy a white elephant and would appreciate some constructive views on this, I am in no rush and can afford to wait and find something on tesco Lotus side.

Main reason some people don't like living east side is you have a greater chance of being involved in an accident if you frequently have to do u-turns coming from Pattaya. Perhaps getting easier now with new traffic systems.I personally never had any problems. "Location, location, location" is important, but so is " price, price, price" :o

Although it is something done by lots of farangs, if you build a house for commercial gain, you are breaking the law. If you engage in any work, paid or otherwise, you need a work permit. Property development is work reserved for Thais and you will not be granted a work permit to do it. Of course, you can say you are doing something else and may get a work permit that way, but work permits are job and location specific and therefore it will not cover you. Like I say, lots of people do it anyway, but Thailand is a country of clampdowns and you risk arrest and being deported, particularly if someone takes a dislike to you and grasses you up (the immigration police are then obliged to investigate).

Thailand is a country full of red tape. There are endless traps for the unwary. Many more farangs come here and lose a fortune than come here and make one. In Pattaya, there are endless sharks, both Thai and farang, waiting to rip off innocent newbies. Therefore, those who urge caution are spot on. Come here, get to know some trusted friends and advisors and then consider whether any particular business is for you. To do otherwise would be naive in the extreme.

to the bounder , would you please tell me how you come to all your conclusions , because your so off the mark its unreal , that you can try and advice some one who wants to make a investment in tailand , are you living in thailand our are you sitting in the U K with your finger wedge up giving the wroung advice to total strangers, if you need to e mail me to get the right advice feel free , they dont call me poppa for nothing

to the bounder ,  would you please tell me how you come to all your conclusions , because your so off the mark its unreal ,  that you can try and advice some one who wants to make a investment in tailand , are you living in thailand our are you sitting in the U K with your finger wedge up giving the wroung advice to total strangers, if you need to e mail me to get the right advice feel free , they dont call me poppa for nothing

Actually I am a qualified lawyer, living and working in Thailand and people pay me for my advice on exactly these sorts of matters. I would be very interested to hear in which respects I am "so off the mark it is unreal". I base my conclusions on the law and on extensive experience of how it operates. If you advise people any other way, then you represent a great danger to them. I can only guess they call you poppa cos you are past it and have no idea what you are talking about.

to the bounder ,   would you please tell me how you come to all your conclusions , because your so off the mark its unreal ,   that you can try and advice some one who wants to make a investment in tailand , are you living in thailand our are you sitting in the U K with your finger wedge up giving the wroung advice to total strangers, if you need to e mail me to get the right advice feel free , they dont call me poppa for nothing

Actually I am a qualified lawyer, living and working in Thailand and people pay me for my advice on exactly these sorts of matters. I would be very interested to hear in which respects I am "so off the mark it is unreal". I base my conclusions on the law and on extensive experience of how it operates. If you advise people any other way, then you represent a great danger to them. I can only guess they call you poppa cos you are past it and have no idea what you are talking about.

i am a lawyer, i think says it all , dont you know lawyers have the worst reputation in the world for ripping people off,

to the bounder ,   would you please tell me how you come to all your conclusions , because your so off the mark its unreal ,   that you can try and advice some one who wants to make a investment in tailand , are you living in thailand our are you sitting in the U K with your finger wedge up giving the wroung advice to total strangers, if you need to e mail me to get the right advice feel free , they dont call me poppa for nothing

i am a lawyer, i think says it all , dont you know lawyers have the worst reputation in the world for ripping people off,

Even worst than Pattaya Property Developers? :o