Awesome Bagels In Bkk!

cameraboynyc

A purist New York bagel, boiled dough, absolutely NO fruit! The fruit is kind of a Californication. Bagels aren't ethnic food in the US anymore; all kinds of people eat them. I didn't say Middle East, I said Eastern Europe, such as Poland. I seriously doubt the ancient Hebrews had bagels ...

I've never been to Israel and I reckon you can get bagels there, but that seems more of a pita bread culture.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A purist New York bagel, boiled dough, absolutely NO fruit! The fruit is kind of a Californication. Bagels aren't ethnic food in the US anymore; all kinds of people eat them. I didn't say Middle East, I said Eastern Europe, such as Poland. I seriously doubt the ancient Hebrews had bagels ...

I've never been to Israel and I reckon you can get bagels there, but that seems more of a pita bread culture.

Sorry Jingthing M/East bit, after they started life with the Turk's they were then taken to Poland by the Jewish peep's. All to do with there not being able to cook on a Saturday. Then to London then at a much "later" date to the USA. Who preceded to bugger them up.

Let me know when they open a Pattaya branch...until then, I'll stick with Au Bon Pain. Not the best but not bad for Thailand...the double Jalapeno cheese is aloy maak maak :)

Now I'm missing Noah's, Posh Bagel, Boogie Woogie Bagel...anywhere in the Bay Area, you're only a few minutes away from a great bagel and herb-garlic smear. Nothing like starting your Sunday with a couple of fresh bagels, coffee, and the Sunday New York Times :D

Edited by FarangBuddha

You're confusing New York with the rest of the country. In modern times, no matter the precise origin of the bagel (which isn't really definitely known anyway) greater New York City (not forgetting Brooklyn) is indeed the current center of the bagel world, there is no doubt.

But Montreal ain't chopped liver either, mind you.

Now, it's time to salivate.

post-37101-0-20143700-1299327012_thumb.j

Pictured is an "everything" bagel, sesame/poppy/onion -- no bleeding FRUIT!

If you have to ask why the center of the bagel universe shifted from Eastern Europe to North America, well, maybe read a history book.

Edited by Jingthing

You're confusing New York with the rest of the country. In modern times, no matter the precise origin of the bagel (which isn't really definitely known anyway) greater New York City (not forgetting Brooklyn) is indeed the current center of the bagel world, there is no doubt.

But Montreal ain't chopped liver either, mind you.

Now, it's time to salivate.

post-37101-0-20143700-1299327012_thumb.j

Pictured is an "everything" bagel, sesame/poppy/onion -- no bleeding FRUIT!

If you have to ask why the center of the bagel universe shifted from Eastern Europe to North America, well, maybe read a history book.

Tomato is a fruit :whistling:

....Oh! You mean in the bagel???

Edited by WarpSpeed

Very interesting so the USA has been the center of the Bagel industry from about the 1990's. And now acording to the peep's that live there they started it. So all the rest are just COPY'S. I like the bit on the chocolate chip, Banana, or even the Blueberry one, must all go well with the N/Y time's + the fat gut's that they all seem to have. Enjoy. Just off to have a real English som tam invented in Leed's England dont you know.

Edited by fredob43

must all go well with the N/Y time's + the fat gut's that they all seem to have. Enjoy. Just off to have a real English som tam invented in Leed's England dont you know.

Along with Indian curries - plenty of fat guts in Blighty too. :whistling:

Beigel Bakery Brick Lane London...open 24 hours with queues out the door at 3am...all for one of these baby's.....yum!! :)

I see you pictured a bagel corned beef (salt beef) sandwich. That's an interesting cultural difference between England and the US. In the US deli style corned beef sandwiches are usually served on rye bread. It's not that you couldn't scare up a corned beef on a bagel if you asked for it, but it's non-standard.

post-37101-0-17141200-1299403101_thumb.j

Enough meat for ya?

Edited by Jingthing

I reckon rye bread is more suited to this...

toasted-cheese-2.jpg

containing leeks garlic and onion as well as some good cheddar and raclette.

As you say an interesting difference of opinion.....anyway I love hot salt beef and mustard so either bread would work for me! :)

Beigel Bakery Brick Lane London...open 24 hours with queues out the door at 3am...all for one of these baby's.....yum!! :)

I see you pictured a bagel corned beef (salt beef) sandwich. That's an interesting cultural difference between England and the US. In the US deli style corned beef sandwiches are usually served on rye bread. It's not that you couldn't scare up a corned beef on a bagel if you asked for it, but it's non-standard.

Enough meat for ya?

It's hardly english food, Brick Lane in London is what we call banglatown, it's 99% Bangladeshi, even the signs are all in Bangladeshian. Anything sold in that area won't be Engish, much like the rest of London and soon to be all of the UK <_<

have to disagree ..tried it this weekend and was terribly disappointed.

the bagel itself was ok..

but the 'cream cheese" tasted like yogurt...actually i had the olive flavored one and seriously reminded me of the yogurt used in persian food..dolmeh or something like that..

have to disagree ..tried it this weekend and was terribly disappointed.

the bagel itself was ok..

but the 'cream cheese" tasted like yogurt...actually i had the olive flavored one and seriously reminded me of the yogurt used in persian food..dolmeh or something like that..

So it's doubtful they made the Cream cheese and even if they did, there are plenty of off the shelf choices here including one of the most famous Philadelphia brand so next time buy your bagel bring with and buy some first rate cream cheese to spread on it..

An "English bagel" would again be like "Engish" som tam; bagels are from NY, USA full stop, done any other way it is an adaptation (or some might say a bastardization) of the original. Kind of like "American" fish and chips :rolleyes:

Absolute twaddle whistling.gif

Fine, but don't complain when you order fish and chips and get a catfish fillet, shoe string fries, tartar sauce and absolutely no malt vinegar, ok :blink:

Enough meat for ya?

It's hardly english food, Brick Lane in London is what we call banglatown, it's 99% Bangladeshi, even the signs are all in Bangladeshian. Anything sold in that area won't be Engish, much like the rest of London and soon to be all of the UK <_<

Still a couple of Jewish places at the Shoreditch end.. Most have moved on to better parts of town.

Fine, but don't complain when you order fish and chips and get a catfish fillet, shoe string fries, tartar sauce and absolutely no malt vinegar, ok :blink:

Vinegar on fish and chips :bah:

Yes! It is intended to cut the oily taste. Besides, a bit of vinegar is good for the health. Not having vinegar with one's chips is a betrayal of culinary heritage, much as violating the sanctity of a bagel by adding all sorts of adulterants to it is a sin. The strange thing about the world today is that it is often the last people one would expect respecting the sanctity of an "ethnic" food are often the people that do respect the food's origin. When I was in India, I couldn't get a decent curry. However, in England a good curry dish was easy to find. One associates vinegar and chips with England, but according to the North American restaurant industry, French Canada is where proper vinegar be offered and to not do so earns the scorn of the customers. You can even go into a McDonalds and you'll get vinegar. The same holds true for the bagel. The best bagels I ever had in my life come from the St Viateur bakery which is owned and operated by a Portuguese guy.

Given the attention this thread has got there would surely seem to be a market for good bagels in BKK. I love bagels but would prefer to see more availability of English Muffins first. I go through phases when it comes to Bagel consumption but having an English Muffin with my "American Breakfast" would be great. Regardless of how long I stay in Thailand, I don't think I would ever get to the point of not eating western type breakfast foods in the morning.

i LOVE malt vinegar on fish and chips and I am American. :wub:

I squeeze a little lemon on it but can't stand the smell of vinegar.. I also like something creamy to dip the chips in - mayo usually..