Can I Drive My Car In Malaysia? What Do I Need?

buzzer

Hi,

I need to add another question, to make sure I have all my 'i's' dotted and my 't's' crossed.

Is there any requirement for child safety seats in Malaysia? I feel the answer is no, but I need to make sure. Better safe than sorry!

Thanks,

Buzzer

No offence, but that is a question you really need to ask? They are a precious cargo, and whether there is a law or not, I would have thought that you'd have an appropriate car seat for their safety....

The first thing I did was buy a car safety seat for the 1st born. Her parents (Thai) tried to use it once. That was it. If they were my kids, they would certainly be in car seats. But not my kids, not my rules!

Then tell them a little white lie and that it is illegal in Malaysia to drive without one. Good practice for the child and the parents! They get used to it.

• 7 months later...

We are at the Hat Lek - Cambodian border and we were turned away from driving our Thai car into the country because we did not have the original blue book with us. We will take it as an omen and not enter the country.

Since we basically homeless for the next 3 weeks, wed decided to change course and drive down to Malaysia. Our plan is to drive south and have our in-laws mail the blue book down to us. However, I am getting so many conflicting reports from this site.

Personally, I don't think going to the Bangkok Transport is necessary but can anyone please confirm? I think this all can be done at the border. Can my wife translate the license plate herself? She is fluent in both Thai and English.

From our experience at the Had Lek border station, it seems that the Thai side is interested in the blue book only. They want to make sure that no Thai bank is financing the car. If so, they will not let it cross.

Thanks