Patchy Visa Advice At Sakon Nakhon Immigration

Interesting to see the different service people have received at Sakon Nakhon.

I currently stay here on a retirement extension of an original Non-B visa. I want to change to a marriage extension this year, but have just been told by Sakon Nakhon Immigration that I cannot do that, without first returning to the UK and getting a Non-O visa, which would then be extendable.

Originally they said I could extend, then yesterday I could not, but when I (politely) argued that was wrong, they again said I could.

Mostly the staff are helpful and friendly here, including the lady in charge - affectionately known as Ms Whip-Lash by some of us - but this problem does not fill me with confidence and now I wonder what will happen on our return.

It is complicated slightly by the fact that the current extension expires while we will be on holiday in the UK. But I was told that I can get a 60 day ‘supporting wife’ extension (plus re-entry permit) to cover the holiday and then apply for the one year extension when I return.

I don’t want to spend our short holiday in the UK – my wife’s first trip outside of Thailand - chasing around a new visa unless we have to.

You can change without any problem, they are wrong. You can call the immigraiton hotline for comfirmation and they will correct that offic if necesarry. But you might not make friends with this approach.

Another otion is to simply apply by mail for a new non-O visa while in the UK from the consulate in Hull. Apply by express mail day 1 and get it back on day 3.

My dealings with Sakon Nakhon Immigration has been mostly positive. The lady in charge is very strict and business like. Only bad experience is the last time I had business to do I went at about 2pm in the afternoon. I was told next time to come in the morning even though the office is open until 4:30pm....... guess they reserve the afternoon for nap timeunsure.gif

As Mario says, the immigration office is wrong. But if you switch to extension of stay based on marriage, make sure the bank passbook (if going bank balance route) shows a balance of more than 400k but less than 800k or letter from embassy (if going income route) shows income of more than 40k but less than 65k per month, or immigration will likely want to issue extension of stay based on retirement simply because it is easier for them.

Thanks for the replies.

Mr Mario - I hadn't even heard of the immigration hot line! I don't want to annoy them, as Gudtymchuk said, most dealings with them are positive.

After I calmed down I checked on getting a UK marriage visa on the Hull Consulate web page - a very simple process compared with it's Thai equivalent.

No danger of reaching the 800K balance Thaiphoon - exchange rates have not been kind and I transferred the minimum to get me over 400K this time.

I have to see immigration again soon to get the 60 day 'supporting wife' extension - hopefully the answer will be 'no problem' this time.