Do You Think The Russification Of Pattaya Is A Good Thing Or Not?

Jingthing

русификация rusifikátsiya  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yeah, the post by Kirill is appreciated though I don't see any logical reason to take an "optimistic" stance just because something is happening and you can't change it. To me, accepting reality and adapting makes more sense. For example, if the Russians bully their way and they dominate demographically (as in the famous baht bus queue), what choice do others have but to be influenced by that and become more aggressive themselves? Not pleasant, but real, and no reason for optimistic joy. I also wonder if it is so simple as to learn a few words of Russian. My grandparents were all fluent Russian speakers and they told me all about an interesting Russian origin word -- pogrom. w00t.gif

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The next big tourist gene coming to Pattaya will be single Russian males, its starting to happen already, more and more are found in the bars and gogo's.

If that is the case I thnk a whole new can of worms could be opened. Alcohol, testosterone fuelled younger guys (east and west) with totally different outlooks on life might make for a messy outcome. On the other hand with a common interest they might actually get on really well together, here's hoping.

Edited by RabC

The next big tourist gene coming to Pattaya will be single Russian males, its starting to happen already, more and more are found in the bars and gogo's.

If that is the case I thnk a whole new can of worms could be opened. Alcohol, testosterone fuelled younger guys (east and west) with totally different outlooks on life might make for a messy outcome. On the other hand with a common interest they might actually get on really well together, here's hoping.

sorry off topic but i loved you in your tv shows i am brazil but my great scottish friend introduced me to this showw when i cam to pattaya he gave me his collection of all series

i would love to have meeting with you some day

maybe get a autograph :)

The Russification of Pattaya is, no doubt, a good thing for real estate developers who are desperate for suckers (sorry, I meant to say buyers).

Americans, Brits, Germans, Scandinavians, Chinese, Indians, Russians--who will be next in line? Iranians?

Personally, since I hate Russian food, I would prefer more Chinese and Indians.

One thing I like about Pattaya is the mix of cultures.

You'd love London then.

I already explained why. That ENGLISH if the international language of commerce and tourism is a clear FACT. It doesn't matter if more people in the world speak a form of Chinese than English -- they are mostly in China or part of the Chinese diaspora.

I am not objecting at all to a business serving incoming Russian tour needs is an all Russian business. On the other hand, I was very annoyed the other day when a Russian restaurant not only stated they won't ever have an English menu, but refused to even try to tell me about they food they offered (given the person telling me this was speaking clear English). Hopefully this is not a trend, and I am not singling out Russians, I have had even worse experiences, most dramatically at a Korean restaurant where I was rudely ordered to GO AWAY. I applaud the effort many places are making now to offer Russian translations; the Russians are here, why not fully serve and welcome them? Of course.

not true. english is not international language in any way. lot of peoples not speaking english, their country not speaking english, most of europe not speaking english. lot of examples. germany, where most of peoples not speaking english, lot of other countries.

you get this idea just because you see english signs everywhere here you think what it international language. Is here any official document to proove it? Oh, no. not have a such document.

It Thailand english is everywhere because first farangs here was americans border-visitors. only that reason.

Actually the Thai government announced that English is the recognised second official language of Thailand. It was on the Thai Television news about four years ago.

Actually the Thai government announced that English is the recognised second official language of Thailand. It was on the Thai Television news about four years ago.

... when the Russian population wasn't so large.

j t ..

re .. The trouble is the Russian influence is showing signs of becoming dominant

your right ! i first noticed it in may 09 and again when a was there for a few weeks

last april

the increase in the amount of russian signs , notices etc in two years from naklua to jomtien was amazing

dave2

Good photos but the third picture is in English and Thai...

One way to keep out the Russians, as well as a lot of the Europeans, is to pass a law that says nobody who weighs over 200lbs/80kilos is allowed to wear a skimpy "speedo" during daylight hours. I spent three days at a hotel up in NaKlua last year, with mostly Russians and Germans. The number of pot-bellied old men (and a significant number of women) who strutted around with their belly overhanging whatever they may have been wearing underneath was shocking and offensive, and I am not easily offended. I could not sit out by the pool. Let's get a law passed, and get the someone (who?)to enforce it, and the problem would be solved.
I remember last year visiting some friends in jomtien, when What looked like a mother (60s) and son (30s) came and sat down near me on the beach, they then proceeded to take their shorts and t-shirts off stark b0ll0ck naked and get changed in to their swim wear, no towels around them and no shame (Russians) Amazing pattayaski..

One way to keep out the Russians, as well as a lot of the Europeans, is to pass a law that says nobody who weighs over 200lbs/80kilos is allowed to wear a skimpy "speedo" during daylight hours. I spent three days at a hotel up in NaKlua last year, with mostly Russians and Germans. The number of pot-bellied old men (and a significant number of women) who strutted around with their belly overhanging whatever they may have been wearing underneath was shocking and offensive, and I am not easily offended. I could not sit out by the pool. Let's get a law passed, and get the someone (who?)to enforce it, and the problem would be solved.
I remember last year visiting some friends in jomtien, when What looked like a mother (60s) and son (30s) came and sat down near me on the beach, they then proceeded to take their shorts and t-shirts off stark b0ll0ck naked and get changed in to their swim wear, no towels around them and no shame (Russians) Amazing pattayaski..

There's plenty of Russians in good shape too. These guys above must be fixated on fat bellies. I admire fat people who don't care what other people think of their bodies. I don't see what's offensive about it.

What IS offensive is that someone would come out here on a public forum accusing Russians of having a monopoly on fat bellies. 90% of expats from anywhere have fat bellies.

• 1 month later...

I am Russian

I live in Bangkok

I am 30

I don't drink vodka

I came here with my Russian husband.

I don't smoke and dont visit gogo.

I also don't like drunk people - nation does not matter.

BUT after this topic I am starting to hate europeans and americans AGAIN!

Cold war restarted in my heart!

Edited by antaray
  • Like 1

I am Russian

I live in Bangkok

I am 30

I don't drink vodka

Oh, that's too bad. Sorry to hear that but let me tell you a shot or two of vodka every day never killed anybody!

BTW, based on your writing style, are you sure Russian is capitalized? Might as well be consistent.

It has not been good for the Thai food at this outdoor restaurant on soi 22 Naklua . Now it cators to Russians, I ordered spicy tom yom kung soup.

What used to a thick spicy seafood soup. Has become a watery tastless clear broth with carrots and cauliflower and one large shrimp. For 170 baht.

• Like 1

Hardly. Russia is loaded with beautiful women. In fact it has been said there are more beautiful women in Moscow than in the entire western world.

Russian men are just here for the beaches.

"I encourage the next person who is annoyed by a guild of vodka-soaked Cossacks to learn a few words in Russian and attempt to penetrate their circle. You may be surprised at how loyal and warm they may be after they have accepted you."

I wholeheartedly agree.

I have met many individuals from the former Soviet republics (quite a few of what people here call Russians are actually from the Caucasus or Central Asia), and while my Russian is terribly limited, it is astonishing how quickly they go from reserved and suspicious to warm and friendly with a few simple words and phrases. When they learn thatI have lived and worked in their hometowns, like Almaty, Tashkent, and Dushanbe, the conversations can go on for quite a while, which really taxes the hell out of my rusty language skills - it is a good thing that most know some basic English...

I have yet to have a negative experience with anyone that I have met, and glad as well that they have the chance to travel and enjoy other parts of the world....

I am Russian

I live in Bangkok

I am 30

I don't drink vodka

Don't paint with a broad brush.

There are many boorish Americans, Europeans, and Australians here in Thailand, (just as there are folks from the former Soviet Union who can be idiots) but by no means do they represent anywhere near a majority.

As with any place else in the world, you should judge people individually based on experiences and interactions with them.

Oh, that's too bad. Sorry to hear that but let me tell you a shot or two of vodka every day never killed anybody!

BTW, based on your writing style, are you sure Russian is capitalized? Might as well be consistent.

study history and think outside of the box, I don't care what you personally think.

• Like 1

There are many boorish Americans, Europeans, and Australians here in Thailand, (just as there are folks from the former Soviet Union who can be idiots) but by no means do they represent anywhere near a majority.

As with any place else in the world, you should judge people individually based on experiences and interactions with them.

agreed

I have IELTS 7.5 and can write in any style. Above was Mayakovskyi style, if you know, what I mean hahaha

"I encourage the next person who is annoyed by a guild of vodka-soaked Cossacks to learn a few words in Russian and attempt to penetrate their circle. You may be surprised at how loyal and warm they may be after they have accepted you."

ABSOLUT :)ly

It has not been good for the Thai food at this outdoor restaurant on soi 22 Naklua . Now it cators to Russians, I ordered spicy tom yom kung soup.

What used to a thick spicy seafood soup. Has become a watery tastless clear broth with carrots and cauliflower and one large shrimp. For 170 baht.

Russians spoiled your soup, hahaha. Thanks to Russians you, Europeans are unspoiled by Hitler, and you, Americans, came out of economic depression, sellin' weapon during WW2. So, you are speaking of SOUP??? what are your values after it?! And you are telling me, some ladies take food from the restaurant to the beach?

Your post about spoiled soup by Russians made all my friends in FB laugh!

Edited by antaray
  • Like 1

Russians spoiled your soup, hahaha. Thanks to Russians you, Europeans are unspoiled by Hitler, and you, Americans, came out of economic depression, sellin' weapon during WW2. So, you are speaking of SOUP??? what are your values after it?! And you are telling me, some ladies take food from the restaurant to the beach?

for someone complaining about his soup, somewhat over the top! relax....

Supporting Russians or Americans is acceptable as it is down to individual preference, but being on Facebook is just plain inexcusable.

• Like 1

Yeah I agree overpriced Russified "Thai" soup is very trivial compared to what Russia is doing in Syria these days. But this thread was intended to be more on the SOUP level! I started the thread with the intention of starting a CIVIL discussion about a demographic phenom that anyone with eyes in Pattaya and especially Jomtien can plainly see. There are REAL consequences to it and I still think it's a very legitimate areas of discussion for the Pattaya forum.

(P.S.: I bet you my babushkas made better borscht than your babushkas.)

post-37101-0-88420200-1340958723_thumb.p

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1