Thai Girl Sets World's Hairiest Child Record

webfact

Thai Girl Sets World's Hairiest Child Record

p2.jpg

The 'wolf child' delighted to be named the world's hairiest girl - because it makes her more POPULAR at school.

Her nicknames may include ‘wolf girl’ and ‘monkey face’. But 11-year-old Thai girl Supatra Sasuphan today insisted that she was after being officially recognised as the world’s hairiest girl.

Although the schoolgirl from Bangkok has faced merciless teasing at school, Supatra says being given a Guinness World Record for her hair has helped her become extremely popular.

‘I’m very happy to be in the Guinness World Records! A lot of people have to do a lot to get in,’ she said. ‘All I did was answer a few questions and then they gave it to me.’

Supatra is one of just 50 known sufferers of Ambras Syndrome – caused by a faulty chromosome – to be documented since the Middle Ages. Before the disease was understood, sufferers were branded ‘werewolves.’

She has thick hair growing over her face, ears, arms, legs and back. Even laser treatment has failed to stop the hair growth.

But while most sufferers have been shunned, Supatra has gradually been embraced by her community, and became a popular and outgoing child.

She said: ‘There were a few people who used to tease me and call me monkey face but they don’t do it any more.

‘I’m very used to this condition. I can’t feel the hair as it has always been like this. I don’t feel anything.

‘It does sometimes make it difficult to see when it gets long.I hope I will be cured one day.’ [more...]

Full story and pictures HERE

-- Pattaya Daily News 2010-03-05

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

It is good if the can be less mis-treated by those around her. But she could also do what many of us have to do many mornings of the week - trim it.

Supatra’s hair has got increasingly thicker as she has grown up so her mother has to cut it back regularly for her.

Looking up info on the syndrome, the hair can grow out in a matter of hours, so not exactly the same. There is a very good video of her on Discovery Channel but seems to not be viewable in Thailand (copyright). So if in the US or UK you can search for it on YouTube, the Discovery Channel version.

I have nothing but sympathy for the young girl here, and I am indeed happy that she maintains a cheerful and positive attitude towards life. It must be very hard for her in Thailand where society is extremely judgemental, and, of course, children everywhere are the most judgemental and spiteful.

I do, however, have some serious doubts/questions about the contention that this condition is a result of Ambras Syndrome ( congential hypertrichosis ), which the post notes correctly to be caused by "a faulty chromosome". Supatra's hair pattern is not typical of congential hypertrichosis, in that it appears that she is relatively free of hair growth on her arms and legs ( see pictures) -- this may be a result of diligent trimming by her mother, and could, of course, change substantially when she reaches puberty. Also, there is no mention of Ambras Syndrome in any other members of her family - parents, grandarents or siblings ( if any) -- this is unheard of..

These two items would make it almost impossible for it to be congential hypertrichosis ( caused by "a faulty chromosome") .

More likely she is a victim of acquired hypertrichosis, which is usually caused by medications or other medical treatments or conditions. It would be very interesting to see a proper medical follow-up for this patient, to try to pinpoint the cause of her hypertrichosis -- and thereby, hopefully, work towards a cure.

..and again my heart goes out to the young girl !

It is good if the can be less mis-treated by those around her. But she could also do what many of us have to do many mornings of the week - trim it.

Supatra’s hair has got increasingly thicker as she has grown up so her mother has to cut it back regularly for her.

Looking up info on the syndrome, the hair can grow out in a matter of hours, so not exactly the same. There is a very good video of her on Discovery Channel but seems to not be viewable in Thailand (copyright). So if in the US or UK you can search for it on YouTube, the Discovery Channel version.

This case has been the subject of a few documentaries. I think I last saw one on National Geographic here in Thailand about 3 months ago. Poor girl, but she has a really good attitude. She has undergone a number of different treatments but nothing seems to work.

Poor girl, but she has a really good attitude. She has undergone a number of different treatments but nothing seems to work.

The 1st video I watched was her daily life and indeed a very good attitude and laughing & smiling all along. However, the 2nd video was heart breaking showing another child (India) undergoing laser treatment which appeared to be quite painful. :(