Culture Shock

BambinA

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

having the bathroom attendent start rubbing my neck ... that one almost got me and the guy next to me wet

You and me both buddy... :D

I still can't relax enough to release a good steady stream when there's some guy behind you massaging your neck and shoulders, whilst another Thai guy stands at the urinal next to you and makes no secret about checking out your tackle... :o

having the bathroom attendent start rubbing my neck ... that one almost got me and the guy next to me wet

I still can't relax enough to release a good steady stream when there's some guy behind you massaging your neck and shoulders, whilst another Thai guy stands at the urinal next to you and makes no secret about checking out your tackle... :o

I'm with you. That is a worry :D

I travel between the states and LOS fairly frequently so at this point, when crossing the street, I end up looking left and right constantly, like I'm watching a tennis game close up!

Another adjustment I make when home (states), I have to tone down the frequency of smiling when making eye contact. I get into the habit here (LOS), then when I'm home, it seems to freak some people out, or at least make them edgy.

As has been pointed out previously, the driving here is SO agressive and discourteous, especially when contrasted with the very polite personal, non-vehicular, interaction.

One thing the Thais don't get yet. Elevator, let the people off before you get on! This is true on the BTS also, but the bus, less so.

Make sure you have TP (toilet paper) with you whenever you venture outside of BKK, and a lot of the time, within BKK.

Then back to the thank yous.... I take the whole family ( inlaws) out to dinner, now we eat, drink, all the kids get ice cream and not one of them says, Hay middlepath thanks for the nice dinner, not one. In my heart I know they had a good time though which is good enough, I guess. :o

Strange isn't it but I think there is a real reason behind it. Saying "thank you" would be too patronizing for them. It's a shock in the begining but you get used to it. There are other signs that make you understand they appreciated it.

As has been pointed out previously, the driving here is SO agressive and discourteous, especially when contrasted with the very polite personal, non-vehicular, interaction.

I have been driving in Bangkok for the last 4 months, and it's quite fun actually. Going 80km/h or even 100km/h downtown is not a problem (when there is no traffic) and you can do pretty much what you want as Thais are terrible and "clueless" drivers, they will not react to a situation on the road until it's too late (explain the huge mess at the U-Turn point). Those pickup trucks are the worst. They are sleeping at the wheel.

Motorbikes are a nuisance as they think they have the right of way and can be faster than you. In the begining it was stressful, I tried to be careful to avoid them. But they become such a nuisance now, I don't even pay attention to them like they don't exist or I didn't see them. I am surprised there are no more accidents as I almost killed 5 motorcycles in less than 5 days last week. Like I say, they ignore cars, so likewise and like everyone else, I ignore them.

Remind me TO NEVER BUY A MOTORBIKE IN BANGKOK.

That's called Stage Fright, my man. I've suffered from that for years since college where a local bar called "Cowboys" in Tucson, AZ (bar modeled after the movie "Urban Cowboy") had a large oval circular community pisser. Now that was wierd man. You had 6-10 dudes taking a piss round the oval. I remember standing there like a moron unable to piss while I had race horses all around me. I failed in my endevor and been using stall mostly ever since unless I got a buffer zone of a couple of urinals. LOL

Another adjustment I make when home (states), I have to tone down the frequency of smiling when making eye contact.  I get into the habit here (LOS), then when I'm home, it seems to freak some people out, or at least make them edgy.

On my rare visits to Western countries I have this reverse culture shock too. An automatic smile to a female shop assistant and she'll glare at me like I'm a pervert or a paedophile (depending on her age). Also, for the first couple of days, everyone seems to have big noses and thin faces, and women all seem to have huge boobs...

Well, big culture shock for me is the concept of setting up tables and selling food and/or drink on the sidewalk. This could never ever happen in the USA due to strict health regulations. I mean you have food preparers making food, taking dirty filthy money, making more food, more money and on and on. This has always troubled me when eating out there. I don't see sinks and bars of soap around. I know plenty of people that wouldn't go near that food. I used to eat it all the time but I'm in a major cutdown mode.

This is not to say that I have not seen this money to food thing happen in the USA. There are Deli's where this happens. It just isn't that clean or appetizing. I'd like to add a side note here re: Thailand and food. I was in a Tops where I eat at the Food stalls; I walked into the bathroom as a worker was coming out of a toilet stall; did he wash his hands? nope, sorry people. I notice also that my gf get really pissed off at me if I ask her to wash her hands before making my food. She thinks I'm looking down on her. That's hardly the case, I just have a thing about it just like Health Depts across the US

Well, big culture shock for me is the concept of setting up tables and selling food and/or drink on the sidewalk. This could never ever happen in the USA due to strict health regulations. I mean you have food preparers making food, taking dirty filthy money, making more food, more money and on and on. This has always troubled me when eating out there. I don't see sinks and bars of soap around. I know plenty of people that wouldn't go near that food. I used to eat it all the time but I'm in a major cutdown mode.

This is not to say that I have not seen this money to food thing happen in the USA. There are Deli's where this happens. It just isn't that clean or appetizing. I'd like to add a side note here re: Thailand and food. I was in a Tops where I eat at the Food stalls; I walked into the bathroom as a worker was coming out of a toilet stall; did he wash his hands? nope, sorry people. I notice also that my gf get really pissed off at me if I ask her to wash her hands before making my food. She thinks I'm looking down on her. That's hardly the case, I just have a thing about it just like Health Depts across the US

I just always assume the prit and other spice stuff plus the Sangsom will kill the nasties. Been lucky so far. I get your point though, but remember Grandpa Simpson working at the fast food place, too!

I have been driving in Bangkok for the last 4 months, and it's quite fun actually. Going 80km/h or even 100km/h downtown is not a problem (when there is no traffic) and you can do pretty much what you want as Thais are terrible and "clueless" drivers, they will not react to a situation on the road until it's too late (explain the huge mess at the U-Turn point). Those pickup trucks are the worst. They are sleeping at the wheel.

Motorbikes are a nuisance as they think they have the right of way and can be faster than you. In the begining it was stressful, I tried to be careful to avoid them. But they become such a nuisance now, I don't even pay attention to them like they don't exist or I didn't see them. I am surprised there are no more accidents as I almost killed 5 motorcycles in less than 5 days last week. Like I say, they ignore cars, so likewise and like everyone else, I ignore them.

Remind me TO NEVER BUY A MOTORBIKE IN BANGKOK.

I must say that if living here meant I was forced to drive a vehicle, I would not do it, no way no how. I have no idea how people do it though I realize that so many farangs do. Walking around dodging the craziness is enough for me. I leave the driving to others. I don't need that stress

Right pal, I mean here there's no intentional food contamination going on. In the USA you always get the wisenheimer punks and there evil jokes. Example is the teen who boasted about pissing in the pancake batter at IHOP. He was someone I knew long ago who told me about he and his friend's teen practice at the breakfast chain. Sorry I had to bring that up

I just always assume the prit and other spice stuff plus the Sangsom will kill the nasties. Been lucky so far. I get your point though, but remember Grandpa Simpson working at the fast food place, too!

Many good ones listed and mostly now culture shock is second nature now and I get reverse culture shock going back to farangland. On a down note I would say the culture shock that sticks with me is pollution (all types) and lack of environmental awareness. If only... Oh well.

Many good ones listed and mostly now culture shock is second nature now and I get reverse culture shock going back to farangland. On a down note I would say the culture shock that sticks with me is pollution (all types) and lack of environmental awareness. If only... Oh well.

yes, when I come back to Bkk, each time the crazy noise, pollution and general vividness of it all swamps me. I love it!!

yes, when I come back to Bkk, each time the crazy noise, pollution and general vividness of it all swamps me. I love it!!

Absolutely :o

I always get this "I'm finally home" feeling.

:D

Absolutely :o

I always get this "I'm finally home" feeling.

:D

For me, it's when I look into the Chao Phraya cesspool, err I mean river that I know I'm home :D

Thanks Bambina for the thought! The funniest thing is I've heard of people in San Fran that actually don a gas mask when someone near them lights up a cigarette! :D

now ..its not culture shock ..but  TH  who live in farangland always get these question

do you ride elephant?

do you have  PC?

ohh  Taiwan ?

ohh whats language you speak ..Taiwanese?

are  you a  prince /princess ..so u can  study in farangland

do you eat dog?

..etc..

funny... always make me  smile  :o

You won't get these questions in Sweden unless you live far out in the countryside. Except maybe the dog question, but then that's because some people in Thailand actually do eat dog (not all, of course).

There was a case reported in the press about a noodle stand just outside Chiang Mai that got busted for selling dog meat noodles just six months ago.