Bed Sheet Sets

SlyAnimal

Have been looking for sheets for my bed this week.... I don't understand Thailand.....

I went to Big C and brought a "set" of sheets which consists of 1x fitted sheet + 2x pillow cases 2x bolster pillow cases (<deleted> is the point of a bolster pillow.... really don't get the concept of these....).

I really don't see how an additional pillow (2x the length of a normal one), is going to replace the need for a normal bed sheet. I asked (well more demonstrated) for a normal sheet, and was told they don't have any in the shop..... instead they told me Thai people use a duvet..... I don't get the concept of using a duvet when it's 30+ degrees at night. I understand that Thai people are used to the heat.... but I can't fathom the concept of using a duvet when it's that dam_n hot.

Eventually found a silk bed cover, not ideal (From memory of when I once slept with silk sheets, they don't let the heat escape like cotton does?) but will be cooler than a duvet, and will cover me better than the towel I've been using (figure I need to cover up a little, else I'll get eaten by mosquitoes while I sleep).

/end rant

Not only do we have a massive goose down duvet, we also have a 4-inch thick bed topping. Our bed is 4m wide, so we use two duvets and inevitably the duvets get on top of each other every now and then. Making it a couple of layers.

I cant sleep when it's hot or sticky, I crank up the AC.

yeah just seems a bit counter productive to set your air con low enough that you then need something to warm you up.

Kinda like turning on your air con and then putting on a jersey.

But yeah, I did forget that there are a lot of people who sleep with air con. As for me my personal preference is to usually turn it off at night unless it's really hot. Since it tends to dry out my throat too much (and I have this theory that sleeping in a little bit of heat, will help me adjust to it much faster, which will make living in Thailand a lot more comfortable in the long run).

• Like 1

yeah just seems a bit counter productive to set your air con low enough that you then need something to warm you up.

Kinda like turning on your air con and then putting on a jersey.

Actually, it's not as strange as it sounds. Try google "best room temperature for sleeping" and check out the results. Even though my personal preference is to sleep in cold temperature, I understand that others have a different preference. The scientific results speaks for itself though, and if the temperature is set at 18-22 degrees you'd freeze your ass off unless you have a duvet of some kind. At least I would.

I stayed in a beach side house in the Maldives a couple of years ago, and the bed had a duvet casing (with no duvet inside). With a ceiling fan and one extra fan on the floor my sleep wasn't to shabby - took three weeks to get acclimatised.

Edited by Forethat

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I can totally understand the OP's point (hence the laugh smilies). All I want are 2 sheets and 2 pillow cases. I don't WANT that doubled sheet that the Thais like to stick a duvet into when it's 100 degrees in the shade. B) . If I want to get warmer then a simple blanket over top will do me just fine.

bolster-pillows.jpg

Would appear by that photo I have been utilised as a 'bolster pillow' for years......... no complaints.........:)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That is great when it actually gets cool at night. But not so great when it's 80 degrees at night (27 C)

• Like 1

You are not in the west, and every convenience that we take for granted is readily available. So you have to think outside of the box, and ask yourself the question "where can I buy bedding material" Most fabric stores have 100 per cent cotton, or mixed blends. Many of them will have ready made sheet sets that contain a fitted sheet and two pillow cases and a bolster case or two. If you simply ask for a flat sheet to be made, the shop usually has material that is wide enough for a king size sheet, and will make it for you.

I have found numerous shops in Chiang Mai's Warorot Market who will do this to order. And, the price of custom made is much less than you can buy a fitted sheet and two pillow cases that you would pay in Central or any of the other big box stores.

You are in Thailand and you can get almost anything you want here--you just have to search a bit differently than in the west for it.

You are not in the west, and every convenience that we take for granted is readily available. So you have to think outside of the box, and ask yourself the question "where can I buy bedding material" Most fabric stores have 100 per cent cotton, or mixed blends. Many of them will have ready made sheet sets that contain a fitted sheet and two pillow cases and a bolster case or two. If you simply ask for a flat sheet to be made, the shop usually has material that is wide enough for a king size sheet, and will make it for you.

I have found numerous shops in Chiang Mai's Warorot Market who will do this to order. And, the price of custom made is much less than you can buy a fitted sheet and two pillow cases that you would pay in Central or any of the other big box stores.

You are in Thailand and you can get almost anything you want here--you just have to search a bit differently than in the west for it.

Good post, shepsel. I agree totally. You can often have something made cheaper than the pre-made stuff.

wow good thinking shepsel, I completely didn't think of things that way.

Might have saved myself quite a bit of Bhat if I'd done that (And have actually gotten what I want in the process lol)

Lesson learnt

I doubt that you have learnt anything at all. Being on a budget for bedding seems to me like you are not ready for what lays ahead. Anyways, good luck with your efforts to save a few Baht on your bedding.

Not only do we have a massive goose down duvet, we also have a 4-inch thick bed topping. Our bed is 4m wide, so we use two duvets and inevitably the duvets get on top of each other every now and then. Making it a couple of layers.

4m? what are you both elephants or what??? or do all the family sleep in one bed?

4m? what are you both elephants or what??? or do all the family sleep in one bed?

lol, no elephants (though I noticed the missus has gained a kilo since three years ago...)

;)

Another angle on this concerns getting duvet covers. The duvets (complete with decorative exteriors) are easy enough to buy, but the implication seems to be that you wash the whole thing, which tends to mess up the filling. I've yet to see a Western-style removable cover in any of the big chains. I've brought back some flat sheets and duvet covers from the UK, but find the Thai fitted bottom sheets and pillow cases okay.

arent there any companies that sell separates to match? they arent sets, they are pieces of sets that u can mix and match by colour and what's needed: sheets, duvet covers (we dont have flat sheets here for between blanket and person, but an empty duvet cover is ok, or a pique blanket (a special blanket just for summer heat)... didnt know men bothered with this stuff anyhow?

urgh, the whole patterned duvet without a removable & washable cover makes me feel a bit ill, sweat & skin flakes getting embedded in the duvet & I doubt the duvets are washed on a regular enough basis. Same with the patterned pillows with fixed covers. Always freaks me out if we stay at someones house & they have these as guest bedding. OP I would buy a plain flat sheet as a top cover rather than try to understand thai bedding sets. Bolster pillows are quite good for watching tv lying on the floor, they are a good prop/neck rest & ours are usually left in the living room for this purpose.