New Passport , Retirement Visa In Old Passport

I am in Germany now, and will travel back to Thailand by June. I have applied for a new passport which is due to arrive by next month. In my old passport, I got a Retirement Visa valid until January 2012. I will carry both passport on me when entering Thailand at Swampee. Will the Immigration officers at Swampee transfer my retirement visa into my new passport , or will I have to enter by Visa exempt, and transfer the retirement visa at my local Immigration office ( which is i Chong Som , near Buri Ram )? Or will they let me enter without any stamp and tell me to sort it out at my local Immigration ?

Do you have a one year extension of stay for retirement you obtained from your local immigration office?

If yes did you obtain a re-entry permit prior to leaving?

Or do you have a multi entry non immigrant O-A long stay visa which is still valid (one year from date of issue) when you return?

I guessed it was necessary to keep the old passport.

It actually is a multiple entry non immigrant O visa , based on retirement, issued two years ago and extended on December 14 last year and valid to January 4 , 2012.

So they will put the entry stamp into my new passport, and I will have to keep my old passport until I will have to extent it before it expires ?

And if it was an extension and you did not obtain a re-entry permit it is dead in the water/invalid and you will have to start over - best to obtain a single entry non immigrant O visa in that case.

Ah, Ok. I did not realize I am here on an Extension of my retirement based Non Immi Visa, if these term it correctly. I had it extended by the Phrachaup Kiri Khan Immigration Office on December 14. In January I moved in with my GF in Kantharalak Amphoe, and registered my new adress of stay at Phu Sing .

So as far as goes, they will not transfer the Non Immi multiple entry stamp into my new passport in Subvarnabhumi - I will have to wait until extension of the permit is due and then receive a new stamp in my new passport ? This is useful information, thank you !

I got a multiple entry permit ( 3900 Baht) , as I am travelling back and forth several times during a year. I do this for two years. The 90 -day report duty will always start anew upon entering, that's for sure. Just now with a new passport, I was wondering what to expect . .

As said did you get a Re Entry Permit from Immigration?

If not it has died and you will have to start all over again.

Crossed posts. You have a multi re-entry permit which cost 3800 baht so you return using that and entry should be put in new passport. Once that is done expect you will have to visit home immigration for the extension transfer.

Crossed posts. You have a multi re-entry permit which cost 3800 baht so you return using that and entry should be put in new passport. Once that is done expect you will have to visit home immigration for the extension transfer.

Thanks lopburi, this answers my question ! My worries resolved !

That was some great help, guys !

A related point I have always wondered about, I am just about to do my third extention of my O Visa based on retirement, the O Visa being issued in 2007, which they always look at, or at least I declare it, when I get my 12 month extention.

Later this year, or maybe next year, I will need a new passport, I realise I can get my permission to stay transferred into a new passport, and I presume any re-entry permit, but given this an extention of the old O Visa, I think, will I need to retain and produce my expired passport containing the old visa ad infinitum?

No. You only need to keep an old passport with a valid visa in it. Yours expired already and the details are in your new passport. Can't hurt to keep the old passport or at least a copy, but you don't need it anymore.

When you get new passport they transfer the details of your original visa as well as current extension of stay into the new passport so have it linked there so no need to carry or show both and need only supply copies of new passport for next extension of stay.

You will have to carry both passports until the Visa has expired.

Not true,

I had a one year extension in my passport along with a multi rentry permit.

Got a new passport in Cambodia, travelled back to Thailand, got stamped in for 90 days with exit due when extension was used up. (that tme it was 8 months away)

went to Phuket immigration ( where the orginal Extension was issued) and had my last type "O' Visa entry, (which was issued in 2002) / extension permit and re entry permit placed in new passport

all free of charge!!!

Note that only the immigration office where u obtianed your original extenison will transfer it over

Edited by phuketrichard

You will have to carry both passports until the Visa has expired.

Not true,

I had a one year extension in my passport along wiht a mutli rentry permit.

Got a new passport in Cambodia, travelled back to Thailand, got stamped in for 90 days with exit diue when extension was used up. ( that tme it was 8 months away)

went to Phuket immigration and had my last type "O' Visa / extension permit and re entry permit placed in new passport

all free of charge!!!

Lite Beer is talking about a visa, you about an extension of stay with a re-entry permit. That is something entirely different. ;)

At the time the LB reply was made it appeared the poster was on a visa entry rather than an extension of stay as that was what he was calling it. If using a visa entry you must present the passport with the visa.

• 4 months later...

At the time the LB reply was made it appeared the poster was on a visa entry rather than an extension of stay as that was what he was calling it. If using a visa entry you must present the passport with the visa.

Perfect topic for me...

In my case, i only have a multiple entry marrige O visa that has not been extended and is valid until October. I plan on entering Thailand very shortly, and need a new passport as it expires soon. So if I just bring the new passport, and the old passport with the valid multiple entry visa they will stamp my new passport based on the visa in the old passport? That won't be a problem?

Also, I am not too worried about entering via swanabumi, but when I do the visa run in October to get my last 90 days, I'm worried about the corrupt folks at the Cambodian border will give me a hassle.

Any experience at the more corrupt entrance points to Thailand?

I do not know of any corrupt entry point to Thailand that would involve passports. The same group of people work at land crossings as at airports. There is no problem having a visa in an expired passport. The US is the model country for this as there visa is valid for ten years so almost all travelers end up having in an expired passport, and immigration people around the world are well aware of this being allowed.