Cost Of Life

spazsway

hello!

to all of you out there a question from the all too expensive europe (italy exactly)

How much does it cost to live in phuket?

My husband and I are considering changing our life around and bringing our two kids (2 and 20 months) away from this western world into a more nature filled and shanty kind of place..

We have both been to thailand and loved it, and I remember the overall costs were low (1998), but that was just a vacation..

I'd like to know how much it can cost today to rent a house? buy a second hand car?

How much do imported goods cost (wine for ex.)?

Can we get away from the tourist prices ?

thankyou

I lived in Phuket for 21/2 years with a wife and toddler, and it not very cheap, second hand cars are expensive (and you need one) you can get some good deals on rent, the nursery schools are over priced and crap, work is hard to come by and low paid, I was making 50,000 USD a year in BKK, less than half that in Phuket. Most imported goods are expensive in Thailand, wine is one of them, I gave up my wine and scotch and drank Heineken or Tiger. Clothes are cheap tho. If you have a well paid job lined up, then consider it, else forget it for the sake of the kids. I'm in Cyprus now, my daughter goes to an excellent nursery school (ISO standard) for a little more than I paid in Phuket she speaks english, thai and greek, we have more sunshine and less rain, its cool after sundown so we don't spend money on air con, the police don't hassle us, immigration has been very helpful to my Thai wife (don't expect any favours from Thai immigration or police). Prices are higher here, but so are salaries, and quality of life is much better. Thailand is good for retirees and young lads who want to get laid, for families withr children I woudn't recommend it. I spent a total of 6 years there BTW, no nasty experiences, drove a brand new care, lived in nice houses/apts etc, have a lovely Thai wife, but having a daughter made me want to move on.

Don't be so negative. With children that young, school is not a consideration yet. I do not have kids, but I know quite a few who have them here, and they're not complaining.

As to cost of life. I reckon you can find a very good house for about 250-300 USD a month. Brand new and two bedrooms. The food is cheap everywhere.

You can get a good second hand car for about 3500 - 4000 USD. Long-term rentals around 200 USD a month. I would certainly recommend one.

As to places in Phuket, try Kamala, Rawai or Kata / Karon. Or Kathu if closeness to beach is not required.

Do not expect it to be easy to find a job, though.

A nice rental car for 8000 baht per month ??? seems mighty cheap (just over 250 per day !!!).. I know long term non tourist guys paying double that..

Rental doable (just) at the prices you say but depends on what standard you wish your family to live in.. the places I see at 10 - 12k baht are not exactly 'family homes'.. OK for a while but maybe thats just me..

I would say that 2 - 3k per month USD is realistic (never had to pay for schooling) I know I am way above that without any kids or family..

Edited by LivinLOS

A nice rental car for 8000 baht per month ??? seems mighty cheap (just over 250 per day !!!).. I know long term non tourist guys paying double that..

Rental doable (just) at the prices you say but depends on what standard you wish your family to live in.. the places I see at 10 - 12k baht are not exactly 'family homes'.. OK for a while but maybe thats just me.. 

I would say that 2 - 3k per month USD is realistic (never had to pay for schooling) I know I am way above that without any kids or family..

Hmmm this is a tough one , dont know if i'd bring my kids to Thailand , if I had some . Do you have a job yet ? Are you Thai ? You or your hubby have a job lined up ?

by nice do you mean a clapped out suzuki jeep, with two seats, no aircon, grinding gears etc, cos if you do they go for about 10,000, more in the high season :o

My point.. Even then 10k per month means you will have no insurance and probably be held accountable for for anything that drops off it.. You want to drive your toddler around in that ??

A nice new Honda Jazz with insurance and well maintained costs my buddy 800 per day on the understanding its longish terms (not strictly monthly as he comes one month on one month off etc).. No insurance, maintence, damage or hidden costs delivered to and picked up from him.. I am guessing for a longer deal you could get that down to perhaps 15 - 20 for a month by month rent.

hei, thankyou all for pitching in

I am a bit surprised at the overall "think again" advice, why are you all there if it isn't worth it?

But anyway 2000-3000 USD seem a lot to me for life on a Thai island, people survive with even less here in rome.. or at least, could it be that you can live VERY well there with such money?

we'd like to come and see how it is over there and scout for some kind of business opportunity to run ourselves, at least that's the idea, but I've been hearing that tourism as kind of fled Phuket since the tsunami.

What is your feel? is the island a lot less visited than before, or is the flow picking up again?

Nope thats just the reality pricing...

Why I am here.. I will be honest and say I am a nightlife person.. I like to drink and I like the bars.. I like the climate.. I like the food..

When you say a lot for a Thai Island you have to factor in that Phuket is probably only second to Bangkok in prices in the whole country.. My house alone costs about 2k USD per month when you factor in house + pool maintenance + gardeners + maid etc.. another 250 - 500 USD electric and water.. Yes I do live well but I am guessing my budget is 3 - 4k per month USD min..

Lets break things down..

Rent for a nice home thats good for children.. 12 - 20k (20 being very nice but outside of the expensive west coast areas)..

TV internet etc... Basic knowing whats happening in the world 2500

Car rent (second hand card are expensive) 15k min

Electric and water.. depends on you but 2500 would be a low end guess

Food and budget 15k ??? I eat out or cooked for me (its cheaper than shopping) and dont feed children so really dont know

Wine / Beer / Drinks / entertainment (huge variation but this is a big one for me).. I am guessing a 'normal' couple could be 5 - 10k (I spend that a weekend.. probably 10 - 20k per week is my rough costs but am out 4 or 5 nights per week until dawn and a fair few daytimes.. My liver is on backorder.. I dont expect this to be a factor for you)..

So already we have 60k or 1500 USD and this has no additionals at all.. Thats just a basic cost of life without the extras..

Now what will a medical insurance package cost for the full family ???

What will real schooling for your children cost (I think my mate pays about 100k + per term so >300k per year could be way out tho this is just what I think I remember)..

Notice theres nothing here for phone calls, does hubby like to go golfing, perhaps a bit of sailing or other of the appealing and enjoyable things that the Island has to offer.. Theres also nothing for visa runs or visa costs..

Sure its possible to live in a one bedroom thai style house in soi without privacy etc and only have your motorbike scooter for transport and drink only cheap beer bought by the case at the supermarket with no AC etc for 40k (1000 USD) or less per month.. Personally I wouldnt live like that.. Thailand is a great / superb / wonderful place with a little bit of money.. It would be a lot less enjoyable without it..

Edited by LivinLOS

hei, thankyou all for pitching in

I am a bit surprised at the overall "think again" advice, why are you all there if it isn't worth it?

But anyway 2000-3000 USD seem a lot to me for life on a Thai island, people survive with even less here in rome.. or at least, could it be that you can live VERY well there with such money?

we'd like to come and see how it is over there and scout for some kind of business opportunity to run ourselves, at least that's the idea, but I've been hearing that tourism as kind of fled Phuket since the tsunami.

What is your feel? is the island a lot less visited than before, or is the flow picking up again?

Phuket is one of the most expensive places to live in Thailand - so I've heard. It's a tourist island. Sure, you can find cheaper areas to live on the island, but overall it's expensive.

Very good idea - come here and look around for a few weeks. Book a hotel for a week or two and then look around for somewhere else to stay. There are loads of places to rent at the moment because now is the low season - pretty quiet, few tourists. But the "hot spots" - e.g. Patong - will always be busy. :o

Today it's been pouring with rain, all evening, all night.

Phuket is the most expensive province in Thailand, the Thai's say "phuket pang" which means Phuket Expensive, as for why I'm here, I'm not, I left for the sake of my future and my daughters education. For your info here was my costs, living in Chalong, a nice place to live BTW

rent 12k (got a great deal)

Car deposit, 400K, monthly 17K (to buy)

School for one 8K

Utilities 2K

UBC 1.4K

Food 15-20K

Petrol 3K

clothes for family 5K average

I haven't had a beer yet, serviced the car insured it etc

health ins provided by the company for me, count 5K a month for a family.

Start a biz in Phuket yeah great idea, I wish you luck, gonna open a bar, or sell real estate, how you gonna manage your visa, want work permit, 2 mil baht share capital,and your not allowed to own your company,only 49%, go to make 50K a month to get the WP too, and you'll be doing visa runs (more money) every 3 months unless you have 7 or so Thai staff, paying tax.

Nope thats just the reality pricing...

Why I am here.. I will be honest and say I am a nightlife person.. I like to drink and I like the bars.. I like the climate.. I like the food..

When you say a lot for a Thai Island you have to factor in that Phuket is probably only second to Bangkok in prices in the whole country.. My house alone costs about 2k USD per month when you factor in house + pool maintenance + gardeners + maid etc.. another 250 - 500 USD electric and water.. Yes I do live well but I am guessing my budget is 3 - 4k per month USD min..

Lets break things down..

Rent for a nice home thats good for children.. 12 - 20k (20 being very nice but outside of the expensive west coast areas)..

TV internet etc... Basic knowing whats happening in the world 2500

Car rent (second hand card are expensive) 15k min

Electric and water.. depends on you but 2500 would be a low end guess

Food and budget 15k ??? I eat out or cooked for me (its cheaper than shopping) and dont feed children so really dont know

Wine / Beer / Drinks / entertainment (huge variation but this is a big one for me).. I am guessing a 'normal' couple could be 5 - 10k (I spend that a weekend.. probably 10 - 20k per week is my rough costs but am out 4 or 5 nights per week until dawn and a fair few daytimes.. My liver is on backorder.. I dont expect this to be a factor for you)..

So already we have 60k or 1500 USD and this has no additionals at all.. Thats just a basic cost of life without the extras..

Now what will a medical insurance package cost for the full family ???

What will real schooling for your children cost (I think my mate pays about 100k + per term so >300k per year could be way out tho this is just what I think I remember).. 

Notice theres nothing here for phone calls, does hubby like to go golfing, perhaps a bit of sailing or other of the appealing and enjoyable things that the Island has to offer.. Theres also nothing for visa runs or visa costs..

Sure its possible to live in a one bedroom thai style house in soi without privacy etc and only have your motorbike scooter for transport and drink only cheap beer bought by the case at the supermarket with no AC etc for 40k (1000 USD) or less per month.. Personally I wouldnt live like that.. Thailand is a great / superb / wonderful place with a little bit of money.. It would be a lot less enjoyable without it..

I think that post sums it up.

I notice a lot of people say its "expensive". To my way of thinking, its only expensive if you cant afford it.

The Island is in a transition period, the holiday maker looking for the cheap Thai holiday will not come to Phuket, as it is now an Expat Island and the prices reflect that. When I drive around the Island it amazes me how much has happened here in the 8ish years Ive been here. When I moved to southern Phuket 8ish years ago, there was only 6 farangs in the area, you saw maybe 4 cars on the road at the same time and the place was lovely to be in. There wasnt any Big C or Lotus, there wasnt any "nice houses", defined laws or gridlock on the roads.

Im happy with the infrastructure this has bought, but it is now far from tranquil.

I love Phuket, but it wouldnt be a place I would come to for a beach life/holiday. The good news is there are many places close by that will give you that peace and quiet.

I notice a lot of people say its "expensive". To my way of thinking, its only expensive if you cant afford it.

You could also say 'value for money'.. What I get for my expense out here is an awful lot.. What would it cost me for have maids, gardeners, a modestly nice 5 bd 5 bth pool villa with seaview etc back home ?? Even being well off by british standards I could never have these luxuries that I enjoy so much..

Try to find this lifesyle and combination of level of development and there are few places globally that fit.. Here I have both broadband internet (mostly :o ) and yet 20 baht cooked meals... I have acess to a quality international standard hospital and also a mostly deserted beach.. I can get the FT or a Herald Tribune and lie in my hammock and look at the orchids to read it.. I can get columbian coffee beans or a odd bit of computer hardware etc.. I am 40 mins from an international Airport, 10 mins to golf courses, 15 mins to a mostly first world quality supermarket.

Basically I am very happy with the combination of undeveloped on one hand but international on the other.. Seriously thinking theres very few places in the world where I would get the quality of life at the price I get it for.. Perhaps Panama or British Hondouras or other central American non Caribean (too expensive thanks to the seppos) country could be similar.. I hope I never live outside of the tropics again.

My mother lives in a country and climate she hates.. In a tiny little 2 up 2 down home and once you count house + poll tax + rates + TV licence + etc.. It costs her nearly as much as it costs me, simply to suvive not live in luxury...

I guess what I am rambling is Phuket may not be cheap but it is superb 'value'.. I dont know if I had children whether I would think such a move would be good for them due to education levels here.. Also earning money here as a farang is not easy at all..

Why Phuket? When one picks a place to live, sensible people make a lit of their priorities, before deciding to re-locate. If it is a romantic notion, fine, but expect trouble.

I chose Hawaii for the climate. Likewise, I bought the idea of living in a world class destination resort. Actually living there was a different thing, entirely.

If you are going to Phuket for the weather, beach or the like, I suggest you identify what you are looking for in Phuket and get suggestions on where in Thailand you can get the same things without the negatives Phuket has had posted about it.

If you have already decided on Phuket and are not open to other suggestions, then expect to pay 3k USD a month to live comfortablly there, regardless of whether you think it is expensive or not, and it is, compared to other places in Thailand, except BKK.

Not much more I can add to the posts above, as they are all spot on.

Just an observation, but, over the years living here, the most common reason for a long term expat to leave Phuket seems to be concern for the education of their children.

These expats loved Phuket and were loath to leave for their home countries, but they did.

Education here is substandard, and for anything approaching decent by Western standards costs a lot. A friend of mine is paying US$18,000 per year for two children in an International school here.

After living in Phuket for over twenty years, he is finally going back home for the sake of his children's education.

You are thinking of bringing two children to live here.

What do you know that my friend doesn't?

Edited by Sir Burr

You could also say 'value for money'.. What I get for my expense out here is an awful lot.. What would it cost me for have maids, gardeners, a modestly nice 5 bd 5 bth pool villa with seaview etc back home ?? Even being well off by british standards I could never have these luxuries that I enjoy so much..

Try to find this lifesyle and combination of level of development and there are few places globally that fit.. Here I have both broadband internet (mostly ermm.gif ) and yet 20 baht cooked meals... I have acess to a quality international standard hospital and also a mostly deserted beach.. I can get the FT or a Herald Tribune and lie in my hammock and look at the orchids to read it.. I can get columbian coffee beans or a odd bit of computer hardware etc.. I am 40 mins from an international Airport, 10 mins to golf courses, 15 mins to a mostly first world quality supermarket.

Thats sold it for me, sounds like a nice lifestyle down there and worth the extra cost. :o

My darling ex- maid cost me all my gold jewellery... and many of my friends were stolen from by the same trusted and recommended woman.

Be careful about who you employ to rummage through your belongings. Can happen anywhere, I know, but it happened on Phuket :o

My darling ex- maid cost me all my gold jewellery... and many of my friends were stolen from by the same trusted and recommended woman.

Be careful about who you employ to rummage through your belongings. Can happen anywhere, I know, but it happened on Phuket  :D

I've never had a maid, and never will, for that very reason. And for the other stuff she might find :o

Be careful about who you employ to rummage through your belongings. Can happen anywhere, I know, but it happened on Phuket  :D

I've never had a maid, and never will, for that very reason. And for the other stuff she might find :o

Wouldn't want the maid finding the secret lever that opens the bookcase onto the bondage room would you RDN. :D

agreed

min 100k 150k good a mth for a good lifestyle...ie:do what you want to do ,party,play etc.

Just remember you may want to head back once or twice a year.

A lot less if you are settled however and leading the retired couple life.

Forget disadvantaging your kids,you will put them back years if much more if over age 12.

...expect to pay 3k USD a month to live comfortablly ...

3k USD / month = 1,400,000 baht / year. That sounds about right.

A good School is gonna run you 5,500 Euros (US$6,500) per year, per child too....

Forget moving there & living like a local. All your friends will be expats & pretty wealthy - it'll depress the ###### out of you.

You could of course befriend the locals who'll be tapping your savings in no time.