EU sends fact-finding mission to Libya

News_Editor

EU sends fact-finding mission to Libya

2011-03-07 08:38:31 GMT+7 (ICT)

BRUSSELS (BNO NEWS) -- The European Union (EU) on Sunday announced that EU High Representative Catherine Ashton sent a technical fact-finding mission to Libya.

The mission team will be led by Agostino Miozzo, Managing Director in the European External Action Service for Crisis Response and Operational Coordination, and its aim will be to assess humanitarian and evacuation efforts on the ground in Libya to make an appraisal of what may be needed in terms of additional support.

"I have decided to dispatch this high level mission to provide me with first-hand, real-time information to feed into the discussions leading up to Friday's extraordinary European Council when I will update Heads of State and Government on the situation," said Ashton, who is the EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy.

The mission is the first international mission of its kind to the country since the recent violence.

Ashton also thanked Italian Foreign Minister Franco Frattini and the Italian government for helping the EEAS in facilitating this important mission.

Since February 15, massive protests have demanded the resignation of Muammar Gaddafi, who has been in power for 42 years. According to international organizations, around 6,000 people have already been killed during the violence.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-03-07