Nice Dog Chris But Not In The Restaurant Please

fishhooks

Decided to go have a meal at the Steak House in downtown Loei, I gather managed by "Chris"

Enjoyed a few meals there last year during another visit.

Lovely looking dog wanted to join us, sorry, not in 2554, just not done, even in Thailand!

We went elsewhere.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mind a dog in a restaurant, depending on the hound of course. Many many moons ago I was in the UK in a small town put and as I sat with my bar meal the owner's dog sat and watched. He yelled at it to get out but I just said I didn't mind.

If I was in an expensive restaurant I would prefer it not to be in there, but it depends on the establishment, in Isaan, I've had dinner with all sorts of things around me. Doesn't bother me.

Smokers are usually worse - although I admit that they don't smell as bad as dogs when they are wet.

Not too sure about that. I rate the smell of cigarettes and wet dogs as equally revolting. At least you are able to throw something at the dog to get it to bugger off.

Lots of village pubs in the UK have pet dogs.........But if in the UK, the pet dog would not be able to afford to chip in toward the cost of the meal.

Was this dog of the human or canine variety?

Beat me to it. :lol:

You let someones pet dog scare you off from a good steak meal in downtown Issan?

Lots of village pubs in the UK have pet dogs.

Yes, a bit trivial and literal. One can't take Thailand and re-make it into their own.

You let someones pet dog scare you off from a good steak meal in downtown Issan?

Yes, a bit trivial and literal. One can't take Thailand and re-make it into their own.

Indeed.

Not even when such changes represent improvement.

Indeed.

I guess this "improvement" would be a matter of subjectivity. One man's ceiling is another's floor.

Indeed.

I guess this "improvement" would be a matter of subjectivity. One man's ceiling is another's floor.

Not really. I think improvement can be measured factually.

Subjectivity will determine whether such improvement is a 'good thing' or not.

Educating and training (Thais) e.g. to become 'better/safer' drivers would probably reflect in the factual statistics on reduced road deaths etc.

Subjectively, someone may find it quaint that they drive like morons and believe that habits of 30/40 years DO still have a place in modern driving.

Edited by cardholder

Indeed.

Not really. I think improvement can be measured factually.

Subjectivity will determine whether such improvement is a 'good thing' or not.

Educating and training (Thais) e.g. to become 'better/safer' drivers would probably reflect in the factual statistics on reduced road deaths etc.

Subjectively, someone may find it quaint that they drive like morons and habits of 30/40 years have no place in modern driving.

+1 and then some..

Subjectively, someone may find it quaint that they drive like morons and believe that habits of 30/40 years DO still have a place in modern driving.

I'd be hard-pressed to wonder what Thais driving character has to do with an owners dog in a said restaurant. Of course, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the related topic, except that there is a broader circle that find it necessary to use any assorted comparative to justify there points of cultural superiority......when obviously there is no such standards as to what a higher civilisation or a lower civilisation might curtail. This sorted bashing {critique} tends to be common throughout Thai-based fora.

Smokers are usually worse - although I admit that they don't smell as bad as dogs when they are wet.

Not too sure about that. I rate the smell of cigarettes and wet dogs as equally revolting. At least you are able to throw something at the dog to get it to bugger off.

I thought he was talking about wet smokers :rolleyes:

His steak house has gone backwards, all his staff quit about 18 months ago and his new staff members have no idea about customer service.

When first in Thailand a few years ago the wife the family and me were having tea at some Suki restaurant in Udon Thani sitting outside enjoying the meal when up came this sick looking dog, I do the old Ossie get away ya mongral go on get with a stern voice the dog just stood there then the sister in law just says quietly BAI BAI and off the dog walks go figure dogs dont understand Engrish either :unsure::unsure:

I thought he was talking about wet smokers :rolleyes:

Now, THEY are the worst :D

For me there are few things quite as relaxing as sitting in a nice, comfy BarResto that has a happy and contented dog sleeping peacefully on the floor, occasionally opening one eye to check out what it may be about to receive.

Conversely, there are few things quite as irritating as one that has a yappy critter running around annoying people.

In the second instance I would ask for the thing to be removed.

I apply the same rule for children.

Btw, if you have a shoulder bag with a dog in it, it isn't a dog, it's a hood ornament, leave it with the car.

I'd be hard-pressed to wonder what Thais driving character has to do with an owners dog in a said restaurant. Of course, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the related topic, except that there is a broader circle that find it necessary to use any assorted comparative to justify there points of cultural superiority......when obviously there is no such standards as to what a higher civilisation or a lower civilisation might curtail. This sorted bashing {critique} tends to be common throughout Thai-based fora.

You do talk shit at times zzaa

I'd suggest that some posters may feel better catered for if they chose to dine in a different country. Reckon I'm stopping in LOS for a while, warts and all.

BTW - I love dogs, although I can't eat a whole one.

So instead of us saying BAI BAI and leaving, we should have just uttered BYE BYE and the dog would have exited!

Love it fishooks, although it might depend on whether you're in Isaan or other Thailand

For me there are few things quite as relaxing as sitting in a nice, comfy BarResto that has a happy and contented dog sleeping peacefully on the floor, occasionally opening one eye to check out what it may be about to receive.

Conversely, there are few things quite as irritating as one that has a yappy critter running around annoying people.

Btw, if you have a shoulder bag with a dog in it, it isn't a dog, it's a hood ornament, leave it with the car.

Leave the kids alone Thaddeus. I can see it now, grumpy farang giving the kids a bollocking for playing.

Leave the kids alone Thaddeus. I can see it now, grumpy farang giving the kids a bollocking for playing.

I have absolutely no problem with kids being kids and playing, in the right place, running and screaming between tables in a bar or restaurant is not the right place.

BTW, if you had ever met me you would know that I am far from grumpy.

Edited by Thaddeus

It really was such rubbish, Cardholder, that I enjoyed it! "Curtail"... I think he means "entail". "Sorted bashing" must be "sort of bashing". zzaa09, you're perfectly capable of writing English if you try... I've seen perfectly sensible posts by you. That's why I enjoy the loopy ones.

Oh, sorry, I forgot. If the restaurant owner wants his dog to roam about the place, it's his privilege. If you don't like it, it's your privilege to walk out. I don't see what the fuss is about.

Edited by isanbirder

I have absolutely no problem with kids being kids and playing, in the right place, running and screaming between tables in a bar or restaurant is not the right place.

BTW, if you had ever met me you would know that I am far from grumpy.

Thaddeus is only grumpy with the over 18's :lol:

It really was such rubbish, Cardholder, that I enjoyed it! "Curtail"... I think he means "entail". "Sorted bashing" must be "sort of bashing". zzaa09, you're perfectly capable of writing English if you try... I've seen perfectly sensible posts by you. That's why I enjoy the loopy ones.

Oh, sorry, I forgot. If the restaurant owner wants his dog to roam about the place, it's his privilege. If you don't like it, it's your privilege to walk out. I don't see what the fuss is about.

IB - taking it further off topic, where do you stand on elephants ?

I don't think elephants should be allowed near food establishments (they should be left in the wild) so I have a tendency to be rather rude to the guy with the bag of bananas