Ipod Nano

Hikage

I've stayed away from iPods for various reasons, some of which I guess are presumptions.

1) apple's lock in factor!?

2) too big and heavy

3) hard drive based

4) battery issues

5) can't seem to use it as I can my current MP3 player (plug it in, creates a new drive in windows, and simply drag mp3s onto the drive)

6) HAVE TO use iTunes to get my mp3s on to the unit?

I've just seen the new iPod Nano and it's really tempting me. Is it in Thailand now? This device gives me the size I want and is solid state, but the other issues are worring me.

Can anyone with iPod experience allay my fears about these... I'm not an experienced iPod user.

Thanks

I've stayed away from iPods for various reasons, some of which I guess are presumptions.

2) too big and heavy

3) hard drive based

4) battery issues

5) can't seem to use it as I can my current MP3 player (plug it in, creates a new drive in windows, and simply drag mp3s onto the drive)

I've just seen the new iPod Nano and it's really tempting me. Is it in Thailand now? This device gives me the size I want and is solid state, but the other issues are worring me.

Can anyone with iPod experience allay my fears about these... I'm not an experienced iPod user.

Thanks

I myself was looking at the Ipod Mini, once i saw the Nano decided against it. Asof last weekend i couldnt see the Nano in thailand and i assume it will take some time to arrive so i brought a Ipod Shuffle instead will do me fine for a few months.

I'm looking really hard at the iRiver range - advantages are:

* just looks like a HDD to WIN systems - no "lock in" software to mess around with

* it's got a line in socket for recording. maybe not as important for most ppl, but that's a big plus for me - I work in the live music industry

* will play standard playlists same as Winamp and most other MP3 software - again, no lockin - easy to make/edit your own

* got an FM radio that actually works...

* can view pics, text files and even video on the nice sharp LCD screen

* technically, it's slightly better audio quality than the iPod, although in normal listening situations I doubt most ppl could notice the difference...

I was at Apple Center in Siam Discovery yesterday (Copper Wired) and iPod Nano was not there yet. They are still selling iPod mini at outrageous price and (as usual with any apple products in Thailand) and no discount offered yet. Where did you see the iPod Nano at Hikage? Are you still in Japan?

I have an iPod photo 60GB. I haven't compared it with any other portable MP3 player but what's great about iPod is that you don't need an "experience" to use it, the "click wheel" makes using iPod very intuitive just like Mac OS. :o

2) too big and heavy

3) hard drive based

4) battery issues

Thanks

I myself was looking at the Ipod Mini, once i saw the Nano decided against it. Asof last weekend i couldnt see the Nano in thailand and i assume it will take some time to arrive so i brought a Ipod Shuffle instead will do me fine for a few months.

I have a mini and a love it , and no im not talking about my Phi Phi . As a matter of fact i am listening to it on my docking station . Great for travel !

Edited by jrincon17

I was at Apple Center in Siam Discovery yesterday (Copper Wired) and iPod Nano was not there yet. They are still selling iPod mini at outrageous price and (as usual with any apple products in Thailand) and no discount offered yet. Where did you see the iPod Nano at Hikage? Are you still in Japan?

I have an iPod photo 60GB. I haven't compared it with any other portable MP3 player but what's great about iPod is that you don't need an "experience" to use it, the "click wheel" makes using iPod very intuitive just like Mac OS. :o

Hi Nordlys,

Yes, still in Japan. I saw the Nano at The Mac Shop in Akihabara... can't remember the exact price but I remember thinking it was very reasonable.

I really hate having to use itunes and the lock in thing you get with apple, but the size and shape of the thing is perfect for me... seems quite robust too.

Hi Nordlys,

Yes, still in Japan. I saw the Nano at The Mac Shop in Akihabara... can't remember the exact price but I remember thinking it was very reasonable.

I really hate having to use itunes and the lock in thing you get with apple, but the size and shape of the thing is perfect for me... seems quite robust too.

Hi Hikage,

I was at the same Mac shop again today but at Thonglor J Avenue branch and found the iPod Nano just came in. Here are the prices in Thailand.

iPod Nano 2GB B10,500

iPod Nano 4GB B13,500

As someone have already mentioned, apart from the size the only major difference between iPod mini and nano seems to be that the former uses microdrives (1inch HDD) whereas the latter uses flash memory, therefore the Nano being more shock, drop and fall proof than the Mini (and perhaps therefore Nano has longer battery life?). I personally think mini is small enough and prefer the mini design than Nano though.

Which Mac shop did you go at Akihabara? Akibakan? I was in Akihabara myself 3 weeks ago and bought myself a 12inch PowerBook. Did you go to Laox "Pasokon-kan"? They have the iPod corner on the 1st floor and incredible variety of iPod accessories. BTW if you order iPod from on-line apple store in Japan through internet you can get the back of the chrome case engraved with words of your choice free of charge (up to 44 letters, shipped to you directly from plant in China). I had my iPod Photo done that, which reads "Imagination is more important than knowledge" (quote from Einstein). This service is not available in Thailand. You'll need someone who understands Japanese to help you with ordering on-line though. :o

Hi Nordlys,

Hi Hikage,

I was at the same Mac shop again today but at Thonglor J Avenue branch and found the iPod Nano just came in. Here are the prices in Thailand.

iPod Nano 2GB B10,500

iPod Nano 4GB B13,500

As someone have already mentioned, apart from the size the only major difference between iPod mini and nano seems to be that the former uses microdrives (1inch HDD) whereas the latter uses flash memory, therefore the Nano being more shock, drop and fall proof than the Mini (and perhaps therefore Nano has longer battery life?). I personally think mini is small enough and prefer the mini design than Nano though.

Which Mac shop did you go at Akihabara? Akibakan? I was in Akihabara myself 3 weeks ago and bought myself a 12inch PowerBook. Did you go to Laox "Pasokon-kan"? They have the iPod corner on the 1st floor and incredible variety of iPod accessories. BTW if you order iPod from on-line apple store in Japan through internet you can get the back of the chrome case engraved with words of your choice free of charge (up to 44 letters, shipped to you directly from plant in China). I had my iPod Photo done that, which reads "Imagination is more important than knowledge" (quote from Einstein). This service is not available in Thailand. You'll need someone who understands Japanese to help you with ordering on-line though. :o

IMHO, BIG difference. I swore to myself long ago that I would never buy another player with moving parts... you name it I've had it, HDD, MD, DAT, CD etc. All expensive and name brands like Sony. Sooner or later a mechanical problem consigns the device to the bin. On the flip side, I've had ONE cheap (2000B) solid state mp3 player that has lasted 2 years and not skipped a beat.

Not sure which Mac shop, but it was 4 floors and nearish the Mr. Donut on the other side of the street from the train station. I'm going to check the prices again here... I'll let you know.

Cheers

Cheapest Akihabara price I found on internet is 25,980 Yen (for 4GB model), as compared to 27,800 Yen of Apple Store price (and 19,980 yen for 2GB model vs. 21,180 yen of apple store). Saving of about B700. If you're not in Japan as a resident and for whatever the purpose it is just visiting, make sure you bring your passport with you so you might be able to buy it duty- free even at small shops that does not carrry a sign that says "duty free". You pay less 5% Japanese sales tax (shouhizei) so unlike in Thailand you won't have to cliam VAT refund at the airport. You have to buy minimum 10,000 yen to get duty-free though.

Edited by Nordlys

Was so close to buying one today. I must have stood there in the store with the thing in my hand for about an hour pondering.

Only competition I could see was the iRiver. but that had only 1GB (that I could see) also it's a little bulkier... the Nano is very slim.

The iRiver had radio and built in mic too

hughden, how else can you get music onto the nano unless you use iTunes?

The soldered in battery worries me too.

• 4 weeks later...

saw on the news today that the demand is three times the demand here in the us at thee minute and apple dont expect to get caught up for christmas

i dont really know if the sales are a reflection of the quality of the product or not

buy one if you dont like it stick it on ebay you will deffinetly sell it,maybe make some money on it too

I got mine on nearly the same day this thread was started. Thought I didn't have it long enough, nor know it's features well enough at the time to comment.

Well, now I do. It all boils down to this- brilliance. I cannot imagine it being made any more perfect than it is now.

Excepting of course the 'scratching issue' which is dead-on the money. While I was getting used to it I was slipping it here and there and feeling out the way it fit into each of my pockets. Placing it into my right front pants pocket, where I keep my never-leaves-home-without-it, tin of Burts Beeswax lip balm for all of thirty mintues, before I thought better of it proved to be too late. Even today it amazes me how badly that brief episode casued it to scratch. And in comparison, I think I've exposed my Sony-Ericsson K750i phone to far worse situations without som much as a blemish.

As of the last two weeks I keep it almost exclusively in my left rear pocket [which was always empty anyway] and find that it is a perfect fit there whether I'm standing OR sittting. True, so long as I keep it next to and parralel with the outermost pocket seam there is no stress on the Nano- that I can detect- and no stress on my butt, either. LOL

But, the thing is so light that whenever I've slipped it into my shirt pocket it hasn't so much as caused the material to shift or bulge. Size-wise it is perfection- whether in the hand or on the body.

Feature wise it is superb. Ex: Unplug the headset in locked mode and it pauses the music, world clocks are handy, cool and useful, photo viewing is nice and easy, podcasts get sucked up into their own click wheel zone, battery life is the 14 hrs.

In sum: the more I use it the more I like, value and respect the thing.

Sounds good GoodHeart, and thanks for the tip on the software hughden, one of my BIG concerns was having to use iTunes. I think I'm pretty much sold (and I'm not an apple fan), well, actually I can't see any competition. Four GB solid state is pretty huge. I have not seen another solid state device that offers over 1GB, or am I missing something?

BTW, any nano cases in LOS? Can't find any here in Japan!

Four GB solid state is pretty huge.  BTW, any nano cases in LOS? Can't find any here in Japan!

Yup, 4GB is pretty huge. I have my iTunes library encoded at 192kbps and still have managed to fit every playlist of songs I wanted to carry around on it. The last time i loaded it up it came to about 590 songs. And I have two slide shows loaded as well- maybe 40 pics there.

Cases: As soon as I scratched it I went around sulking for a couple of days and popped into all the Apple stores looking for a case. Didn't find any until yesterday, but of the three I saw they all seemed a little too thick and unappealing.

BUT I also had a big priority shift- and the necessity of having one has waned entirely- now that I've discovered how well it fits in that left rear pocket. So, right now, I'm thinking were I working out at the gym, or biking regularly then it might make sense to have an armband to fit it in.

But I'm not, and so the left rear pocket IS the right case for now... :o