Largest Trees, Bamboo And Plants In Thailand? How Big, And Where Are They?

Brand new web site, still in development, encourages anyone to submit listing(s) for largest trees and plants in Thailand. Criteria for trees:

>>> circumference of trunk at 120 cm above ground

>>> height, width

>>> specific location

>>> any other pertinent info

>>> submissions should include at least one photo

In farang lands, they sometimes call such a list 'Heritage Trees'

The purpose of the list is manifold, including developing a greater awareness of special trees, possibly leading to conservation and/or harvesting seed or propagating by some other means - the healthiest specimens.

Other listings: largest individual fruits or vegetables (include weight, if possible), largest particular bush or flower.

Submissions for bamboo are also encouraged - both for individual piece and for clump. Mention type, if possible.

Any constructive input is appreciated, and looking for someone to do a Thai language version.

Shown below, a mango tree with a 490 cm circumference, sitting 2 Km NW of Chiang Rai town.

post-10297-0-09285200-1299551816_thumb.j

here's the web site: http://wonderfull.com/trees.htm

Edited by brahmburgers

nice tree in Chiang Mai, ...could we get some specs on it? What type, size, etc.

I was once at an odd park at the outskirts of Chiang Mai, I believe it was west, along a busy road, if memory serves.

It had about 25 large strangler figs. Also, on the approach to the waterfall - at the park a quarter way up the hill to the popular monastery west of town, there are some extra large trees. Any Chiang Maiyans want to go out there with a camera and measuring tape - and submit the data to the tree site?

There have been some updates to the new site since this original post.

nice tree in Chiang Mai, ...could we get some specs on it? What type, size, etc.

I was once at an odd park at the outskirts of Chiang Mai, I believe it was west, along a busy road, if memory serves.

It had about 25 large strangler figs. Also, on the approach to the waterfall - at the park a quarter way up the hill to the popular monastery west of town, there are some extra large trees. Any Chiang Maiyans want to go out there with a camera and measuring tape - and submit the data to the tree site?

There have been some updates to the new site since this original post.

The traveller should head south along the old road Highway 106 avoiding the busy new superhighway. This road, which once ran directly between Chiang Mai Gate and Lamphun's northern " Elephant Crush " Gate, is steeped in history. From the Chiang Mai suburb of Nong Hoi south, for a distance of 12 kilometres as far as the Chiang Mai Lamphun provincial boundary the road is lined by lofty 30-metre high yang trees, interspersed with fruit orchards, small farms and paddy fields.

Actual 15 KM bothside of the road (ruber).

Giant bamboos (Poaceae: Bambusoideae) in Thailand:

The giant bamboos listed herein may reach heights of 30 meters or more:

Dendrocalamus asper cl. Chiang Run

http://bamboosthaila...amus-asper.html

Dendrocalamus brandisii

http://bamboosthaila...-brandisii.html

Dendrocalamus copelandii

http://bamboosthaila...copelandii.html

Dendrocalamus giganteus

http://bamboosthaila...-giganteus.html

Dendrocalamus sinicus

http://bamboosthaila...us-sinicus.html

Guadua angustifolia

http://bamboosthaila...gustifolia.html

Other bamboos in Thailand of heights less than 30 meters:

http://bamboosthailand.blogspot.com/

So gotta lost it is off to Tak to record the largest, a 700+ year older, sounds like fun. I guess I'm the proud owner of a couple dozen 'carps as I'm darn near deaf and couldn't really make out the Thai name of a tree Fruity has growing at his place but now teung was what it sounded like to me. I hope to get about 100 more after Songkran.

Hey oodii dee dee I just bought a little specimen of a bamboo that is from ones that are as big around as me. It was grown from seed which I imagine is rather unique as bamboo can be split quite simply to propogate. It will be interesting as it won't be a clone of another but unique unto itself. I'll split it up a bunch (I paid 1000 baht for the specimen and kick myself in the butt for not doing last it year because I thought 1000 was too expensive). I wonder if Sequoia Gigantus might survive in the wet mountains up north? Fords in Forest For Me

Hi, I read the write-up at http://www.sjonhause...pterocarps.html but it was difficult to understand. The writer was knowledgeable, but kept naming various types of trees, so it was tough to decipher what he was saying. Writers need to learn how to describe things in simpler language. Thanks anyway.

the site, http://wonderfull.com/trees.htm has been updated. Take a look.

Those trees have nothing on the dipterocarp on Koh Phangan. 14 m around. Websites are calling it a rubber tree, but I am pretty sure its a dipterocarp.

Lifted this pic off the internet, its not me and no I don't know her, its just a photo from picasa. I haven't taken a photo of the big tree in years (only have a print from about 15 years ago, sorry), there are a few near my house as well, but nowhere near in girth to this one

Picture+003.jpg

another one I lifted. 1.1262363940.big-ass-tree-can-u-spot-paul.jpg

Hey dipto one, ya got to love those photos you put up. The http://www.sjonhause...pterocarps.html talks about one 700 year old in Tak but that island beauty of yours is going to be fun searching out. this is turning out to be too cool. Dipts as the link says are considered "rubber" trees by the locals and were tapped for the resin for assorted uses such as wood sealing for boats and lighting oil. Locals call the family of trees "teung" a rather common botanical word that who knows what inflection of the pronunciation will refer to what. Saying it one way it's a dipterocarp but another change in the tone of your delivery and you're saying something not too nice about your in-laws aunt's right foot baby toenail during a beautiful sunset. The link is a good one but can easily be overwelming for non native English speakers but a good read for all if you've the time.

Looking at your photo and thinking of the criteria of measuring at 1.2 meters high (sort of belly button high) If you used a piece 1/4" polypropolyene rope and worked it around the tree with three people to hold it and pulled it tight you would get a certain circumfrance of say 20 meters just for example. But if one or two people went around that tree and were to use that same rope as you would a flat "tailor's or seamstress' " tape measure (as if you wanted to shroud the object with a piece of cloth completely around) you would end up having a measurement when going along the contour of the trunk of the tree that could possibly reach 25 meters, The question is, What is the proper way to measure the circumfrence (and spell the dang word)? What do you say there Burger of the Brahma? Figuring on a Ford Forever

.... The question is, What is the proper way to measure the circumfrence (and spell the dang word)? What do you say there Burger of the Brahma? Figuring on a Ford Forever

My Ford P.U. only lasted 17 years until it died taking 50 sheets of sheetrock up a steep hill. The way I measure circumference is to simply take a string and walk it around. When I've got the two ends together, I shimmy the string up to chest height (or head height, for one of my Thai g.f's). It can be done solo, not a chore, though I get some odd glances from passers-by. Then I simply measure the string length.

Would like a colloquial name for Dipterocarp, as it sounds like an ancient fish with fangs. Can we call it Thai Rubber tree, or something?

The web site now has about 10 listings, and haven't yet entered bamboo listings. Still cruising for submissions (not the nocturnal sort, sorry).

If you like beautiful photos of nature and plants and flowers, here's a site

Edited by brahmburgers

Afraid there is no common name for dipterocarps, it does sound like a fish! Before people came apparently the islands were covered in dipterocarp forests. There are still quite a few (and protected like this one) very very large ones left and the locals get very angry with anyone who cuts one down. I remember years ago some farang (yes, English if I recall correctly) cut one of the big ones down on the unpopulated eastern side of the island, but everyone heard about it and nobody was surprised when he went out of business within a year and then apparently died in a nasty motorcycle accident on the mainland.

Any effort to recognize trees and their benefits and encourage preservation is okay by me. The only other effort that I know of in Thailand is the Big Trees Project in Bangkok municipality, currently accepting nominations for largest trees in certain categories.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/222382/think-big-to-save-our-grandest-trees

I standard for big trees recognition is American Forests National Register of Big Trees. They have a point system that includes circumference in inches, height in feet, and canopy spead in feet. Total points from these three measurements give the tree it's size rating.

http://www.americanforests.org/resources/bigtrees./

And then here is what some arborists I know in Oregon, USA are doing.

http://ascendingthegiants.com/

"So gotta lost it is off to Tak to record the largest, a 700+ year older, sounds like fun. I guess I'm the proud owner of a couple dozen 'carps as I'm darn near deaf and couldn't really make out the Thai name of a tree Fruity has growing at his place but now teung was what it sounded like to me. I hope to get about 100 more after Songkran."

I wrote this before but "teung" it wasn't; the name, as well as I can hear it, sounds like tah kuu. Does anyone recognize what this might be? It grows extremely fast and very straight with no large lateral branches forking off and is supposed to be an excellent hard wood good for lumber (the purpose of planting them). Hey Doc Lover of Trees do you know? Also I think I remember reading something from Normita in the Bangkok Post saying something about you maybe leaving Thailand a while back or some such somethang. Are you still here with us in the LOS?

I looked at the link for big trees, but it was a Bangkok Post link with an article, and it seemed to deal just with trees in Bangkok. That's ok, but my site deals with trees anywhere in Thailand. Plus the article mentioned there's a site on Facebook, but didn't give the link, and I'm too lazy to look for it. All in all, it's good to create a bit more awareness of trees and plants here in Thailand, particularly among Thais. It's their country. Trees are their heritage. Would be nice to see them planting bunches of them, and not just monoculture (one type per parcel).

Currently on my parcel in Chiang Rai, there are several types of trees found nowhere else in Thailand - as far as I know.

Ask the average Thai about trees, and that person might be able to name about three types, and then smirk and draw a blank. A person might be a more important species than a tree, but you won't get me to agree. Hey, that rhymes!

I'm a tree hugger from waaaay back - since before I started having lucid dreams about flying though their branches. I've also seen pine with multicolored flickering colors on their barks - granted that was seen through psychosomatic addled eyes, but hey - we get our kicks any way we can.

I'm a tree hugger from waaaay back - since before I started having lucid dreams about flying though their branches. I've also seen pine with multicolored flickering colors on their barks - granted that was seen through psychosomatic addled eyes, but hey - we get our kicks any way we can.

Hey BB were you at this party?

post-74166-0-01265200-1300249014_thumb.j

Ask the average Thai about trees, and that person might be able to name about three types, and then smirk and draw a blank.

ahhhhh... but a huge amount of the smirking thais will also know what parts are edible, and what u can do with its leaves fruits bark etc....... w/o knowing the name in latin of the tree.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey BB were you at this party?

Love a tree today.

post-74166-0-48055200-1302669658_thumb.j

• 1 year later...

Hello all,

Hopefully you can assist me in my "quest" to purchase Phyllostachys mannii 'Decora' aka Beautiful Bamboo in Chaiypahum/KhonKaen area. We're hoping to purchase many plants to use a border fencing. My wife has asked several "nurseries" in KK but they seem to either not understand what we're seeking or are unfamiliar to "Running Bamboo." Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. p.s. I'm just starting to learn a/b growing/planting things. :-) Took a while but.....

Cheers,

Some of the "jungle" areas of Samui have some grand old specimens still, although sadly many have been logged over the years.... There are some good specimens of dipterocarpus, but not as large as the KP one SBK posted....

I am not sure what this on is! It's certainly got a large root base,

IMG_7088.JPG

Someone lifted this one! (on Samui)

IMG_7098.JPG

Here is the same tree SBK "lifted" on KP (I had visions of her digging it up! tongue.pngbiggrin.png )

(furthest in shoot.)..... lifted from my own images!

Koh%2520Phengnan%2520Views%2520170.JPG

Edited by samuijimmy

Hello all,

Hopefully you can assist me in my "quest" to purchase Phyllostachys mannii 'Decora' aka Beautiful Bamboo in Chaiypahum/KhonKaen area. We're hoping to purchase many plants to use a border fencing. My wife has asked several "nurseries" in KK but they seem to either not understand what we're seeking or are unfamiliar to "Running Bamboo." Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. p.s. I'm just starting to learn a/b growing/planting things. :-) Took a while but.....

Cheers,

I guess you know why it is called 'running bamboo'? Another name might be 'invasive' bamboo. Most of the tropical bamboos just pachymorph, they grow in a clump. Phyllostachys are all (as far as I know) leptomorph. In practise this means that four or five years after planting, you will have roots, rhizomes working their way into your foundations. into neighbours gardens (up to 5 meters a year in Switzerland), up chimneys, down sewers. This Phyllo reaches 6 meters height also, meaning that you will have overhanging branches.

You will need a rhizome barrier, at least 80cm deep, the bamboo won't like this.

I was a big cultivator of bamboo and we dug up the Phyllos in the nursery every two years to replant. Good business as we had a team constantly repairing the damage caused by the stuff we sold. Nobody would listen when I told them about these problems.

There are so many attractive bamboos native to Thailand, why not go for one of those?

Great thread...shame op not here anymore as would like to sound out some ideas I have had.

Please share, there is little interest for botany amongst expats in Thailand. I worked in botanical gardens in Switzerland for a bit and knew most plants growing north of the Alps (apart from grasses). I feel like a total ignoramus here and should like to learn more.

I live in an area where there are lots of very large trees...unfortunately development is now rampant and a lot are being lost, thoroughly disgusting what these people do in their backyard.....I had thought of a tree id plan.....same same the heritage type of arrangement and seeing if it could be listed with the government for special and significant trees...age and size etc....and then some protection of sorts and embarrassment for those that do not take care of them for the future.

Hello all,

Cheers,

I guess you know why it is called 'running bamboo'? Another name might be 'invasive' bamboo. Most of the tropical bamboos just pachymorph, they grow in a clump. Phyllostachys are all (as far as I know) leptomorph. In practise this means that four or five years after planting, you will have roots, rhizomes working their way into your foundations. into neighbours gardens (up to 5 meters a year in Switzerland), up chimneys, down sewers. This Phyllo reaches 6 meters height also, meaning that you will have overhanging branches.

You will need a rhizome barrier, at least 80cm deep, the bamboo won't like this.

I was a big cultivator of bamboo and we dug up the Phyllos in the nursery every two years to replant. Good business as we had a team constantly repairing the damage caused by the stuff we sold. Nobody would listen when I told them about these problems.

There are so many attractive bamboos native to Thailand, why not go for one of those?

I know only a little a/b bamboo - or plants etc. We live in a very rural area. Running bamboo might not be problematic for a long time/distance. What we're primarily interested in is a fast growing/attractive security barrier between properties. Large livestock are now restricted from trespassing, but dogs, chickens and two legged "types" feel free to roam on our property. Any other suggestion for accomplishing this goal would be appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to post your information/knowledge.

An impenetrable barrier would be Bougainvillea. This needs a fair amount of space (maybe 2 meters) and needs cutting 2 - 3 times a year. Nothing will go through it voluntarily apart from snakes and scorpions. We will be planting the Bougainvillea that we made from cuttings soon, but we did that for fun- they are very cheap to buy as small plants.

• Like 1