Why Are Thai Guys Who Sell Sex Not Jaded?

kunjet

I don't have enough experience of Thai guys who sell sex elsewhere to have a view. Or any other guys for that matter.

Then why do you feel it necessary to post in a forum that obviously has no interest for you? Wouldn't you be better employed down Walking Street?

Though I have no personal experience of whether they are jaded or not, I do recall reading some research a few years ago that suggested that male sex workers in Bangkok typically only survived a very short time in the business - I think usually less than 4 weeks. This short duration was explained by the by the researchers as being because (1) many of the workers were doing it to address a short term financial need, (2) many (perhaps around half) identified them as heterosexual. Whatever the reason for the fast turnover, it might explain the lack of jadedness. I've read anecdotal reports that female sex workers are also often keen and less hardened during their initial period in the business.

Edited by AyG

The larger question (to the OP) is, "what gave you the idea that Thai male sex workers are NOT 'jaded'??" On what size "sample," over how many years experience/research, are you basing this assertion?

Though I have no personal experience of whether they are jaded or not, I do recall reading some research a few years ago that suggested that male sex workers in Bangkok typically only survived a very short time in the business - I think usually less than 4 weeks. This short duration was explained by the by the researchers as being because (1) many of the workers were doing it to address a short term financial need, (2) many (perhaps around half) identified them as heterosexual. Whatever the reason for the fast turnover, it might explain the lack of jadedness. I've read anecdotal reports that female sex workers are also often keen and less hardened during their initial period in the business.

I would like to see that research. Can you recall author, place of publication, or anything that will allow an internet search?

And to the OP: If they get "jaded" (worn out, tired of the job), they will leave and work something else. Enough guys enjoy that job though. That's my hypothesis anyway, I'd like to see the a.m. research and do some follow-up.

Then why do you feel it necessary to post in a forum that obviously has no interest for you? Wouldn't you be better employed down Walking Street?

Amen. Surely, though, this person knows nothing about Walking Street, either. I am almost always amused by jackasses who are so high-minded they have nothing better to do than sit on message boards and declare openly they know nothing about the topic they've chosen to give a response to.

Anyway, why intellectualize it? Most of the working guys are straight and making quick money for an easy job. They don't appear jaded because as soon as they make their target they'll be off on their motorbikes to send money to mom/buy dinner for the wife/take the girlfriend to the disco/get something for the baby/ or sleep.

Some guys are indeed jaded. They may not act so because it would be bad for business. That few has had thoughts of finding Mr. Farang Right, who almost never appears. Almost--- because there are exceptions. In the tiny minority I know of young men who have gone on to university, jobs, and families courtesy of farang who have been generous, sensible, and good friends.

I won't resist statistics, but "four weeks" would be short-time in the non-traditional sense outside of Bangkok. Perhaps in BKK a lot of fellows have pictures of the high life painted by friends, find it's not their cup of tea, and head back to the village. No blame. I worked at a planetarium once and didn't like it, either.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know about the ones who sell themselves, but I know of a number of just normal guys who are pretty jaded by the gay scene. Guys who've been mistreated, lied to, or simply been unlucky and not found any suitable match- this is among both Thais and foreigners- but you can find that anywhere in any area with a gay population.

I would guess it depends on the meaning one attaches to sex and human connections. If it's just a recreational need-fulfillment activity, then maybe getting paid on top is just an extra bonus. On the other hand, if it is something that has emotional overtones for a person, or there are expectations that sex means some greater level of commitment or emotional connection, then if the experience is a let down there would be a 'jading' effect. Perhaps the group that the OP is meeting is one which keeps very little of its emotional load carried sexually- not saying that is necessarily ideal or healthy for everyone, but I suppose if it works for them it works for them.

• 2 weeks later...

About 20+ years ago, I lived in the Patpong area and the building I lived in housed a lot of the sex workers. Most were young females, but there were plenty of male sex workers. The ladies always had a sad tale to tell, the males were less likely to do so. I never met a male who was forced or coerced into the trade and the turn over was quite high. A few of them seemed to think it was Ok work and seemed to overall enjoy it. Males were more likely to make sure that the experience was somewhat mutually satisfactory.

The business was a stepping stone for other opportunities. It was often short-term and once they had enough money they went on to other things. I occasionally have contact with a few, who now lead reasonably respectable lives.

There was/is a group who 20 years later are still around the trade. They have long ago passed their use-by date. They hustle and pimp and maybe work as a mamasan. They are quite jaded and pretty untrustworthy and sad, lonely characters. They seem to have long ago lost the ability to relate to people and I would guess are on the wrong side of legal activities.

About 20+ years ago, I lived in the Patpong area and the building I lived in housed a lot of the sex workers. Most were young females, but there were plenty of male sex workers. The ladies always had a sad tale to tell, the males were less likely to do so. I never met a male who was forced or coerced into the trade and the turn over was quite high. A few of them seemed to think it was Ok work and seemed to overall enjoy it. Males were more likely to make sure that the experience was somewhat mutually satisfactory.

The business was a stepping stone for other opportunities. It was often short-term and once they had enough money they went on to other things. I occasionally have contact with a few, who now lead reasonably respectable lives.

There was/is a group who 20 years later are still around the trade. They have long ago passed their use-by date. They hustle and pimp and maybe work as a mamasan. They are quite jaded and pretty untrustworthy and sad, lonely characters. They seem to have long ago lost the ability to relate to people and I would guess are on the wrong side of legal activities.

A very astute post. The entire dynamic of the relationship is different. Physical drives play a large part in relationships. In some relationships the consumer has some bargaining power.

I probably should not get more detailed than that.