How Would A History Teacher Fare In Los?

thaibebop

I wouldn't really care what aspect of history I taught, but I would like to teach in Thailand so I can study in Thailand. I want to study SE Asian and Thai history for publication back in the west. Would it be hard to find work as a history teacher? Would it be diffcult to study in LOS as a history researcher? Thank you.

I wouldn't really care what aspect of history I taught, but I would like to teach in Thailand so I can study in Thailand. I want to study SE Asian and Thai history for publication back in the west. Would it be hard to find work as a history teacher? Would it be diffcult to study in LOS as a history researcher?  Thank you.

Interesting question. History of??? Donald Trump? TS? RB? Maybe.

OTOH, if you're talking about the Roman Empire, Greece, Egypt, the Middle Ages, American History, the History of China...the history of science, economic history, or other such stuff then I think you're in for a push. If, however, you do find someone willing to give you a go, what pray tell will you use for text books, resource material etc.? Maybe the history of philosophy will work here but I think the safe money will be on the history of conspiracies. :D:o

I wouldn't really care what aspect of history I taught, but I would like to teach in Thailand so I can study in Thailand. I want to study SE Asian and Thai history for publication back in the west. Would it be hard to find work as a history teacher? Would it be diffcult to study in LOS as a history researcher?  Thank you.

As long as you do not teach about the Japanese occupation (which never happened apparently). It seems the bridge over the river Kwai built itself.

Your post is rather complicated and doesn't give enough information.

1. Are you already *certified* as a history teacher in some Western country? If so, you'd be employable at one of the holy-of-holies international schools here, which I presume would still be teaching their own versions of history in the curriculum.

2. Do you have a degree in history? That plus some of the study you mention may eventually qualify you as an English teacher of Thai history in some of the better EP programs. However, you'll have to be aware of the political niceties of teaching history in Thailand and avoid the taboo topics. There is no 1st amendment here.

3. If you want to work for 30K a month, you can teach any darn thing you want to.

"Steven"

In answer to your first question: history teachers are in little demand here. Your best bet would be to investigate the various EPs and see if they have a need. Unfortunately, even full EPs generally use Thai language teachers for history.

Regarding your second question: you might find that most universities in Thailand do not offer English language instruction in history, and thus will not have English language material available for research. If your Thai is good, this might not be a problem.

Good luck in your search.

I wouldn't really care what aspect of history I taught.

I fear that attitude will not bode well in LOS.

Are you upto date with Thai history, well versed enough to teach the subject?

What I might by this is that I would be willing to teach "any" aspect of history. West, east, cultural, art, whatever they needed a history teacher for.

I should also add that I will teach in Thai or English. I am working on my Thai now and plan to be fluent by the time I work there, as I want to read Thai documents for myself and draw my own conclusions from the data I collect.

Edited by thaibebop

Your post is rather complicated and doesn't give enough information.

1.  Are you already *certified* as a history teacher in some Western country?  If so, you'd be employable at one of the holy-of-holies international schools here, which I presume would still be teaching their own versions of history in the curriculum.

No, I am in school right now working to double major (BA English/BA History) and then go on for a History Masters. I would like that masters to have something to do with Asia, SE Asia really.

2.  Do you have a degree in history?  That plus some of the study you mention may eventually qualify you as an English teacher of Thai history in some of the better EP programs.  However, you'll have to be aware of the political niceties of teaching history in Thailand and avoid the taboo topics.  There is no 1st amendment here.

I am confused by "some of the study you mention". I would like to work as a teacher while I am gathering data on Thailand to publish. Would gathering that data help employ me?

3.  If you want to work for 30K a month, you can teach any darn thing you want to.

Is 30K not that much?

"Steven"