60-Year Old Swiss National Found Hanged In Pattaya

webfact

Swiss man found hanged in Pattaya

Pattaya, Chon Buri - A 60-year-old Swiss man was found hanged in a house in this seaside town Thursday.

The body of Steineer Rolf Anton was found by his younger sister in a house in Bang Lamung district.

The sister said Anton has been living at the house for four years.

She said she arrived Thailand last week to take care of her brother.

She said her brother developed stress and his Thai girlfriend had left him, and this might be the reason that prompted him to commit suicide.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-03-10

Swiss Man commits suicide in his east Pattaya house

PATTAYA: -- A Swiss resident of Pattaya is though to have taken his own life at his East Pattaya house. On Thursday Morning, Police and rescue services were called to a house in Soi Greenway located east of Pattaya where they inspected the body of the house owner Mr. Rolf Anton Steiner aged 60. He was found hanging from a roof beam in a small Sala located at the rear of the house. The body was discovered thanks to his dog who repeatedly barked close to the body, alerting the man’s younger sister who had come from Switzerland to stay with Mr. Steiner who was experiencing severe depression following a break-up with his Thai Wife.

Full story HERE

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2011-03-10

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

have you ever wondered why when somebody is arrested all the 'Brass' are there, pointing fingers for the camera, with mock awards emblazoned on their chests yet we never see the resulting court case on tv. If you dont laugh, you would cry. Somebody needs to tell them how pathetic they look.

Once saw with my own eyes, 3 armed gold shop robbers held up in a copse of trees in the city. Officers and helicopter trying to pinpoint them. A fortuner , with Chaffeur pulls up, and the big brass sits in there until the suspects are caught and the Tv crew arrives. Out he pops pointing fingers and giving interviews. Fine example to his sub-bordinates. While top cops buy jobs dont expect improvements anytime soon

I see in the picture they removed the rope from around him. The 1st thing we were taught as a basic copper in the academy is that you never remove the rope it goes intact with the body to the coroner, and for forensic testing before being removed. They have eliminated evidence that may assist in an investigation.

I see in the picture they removed the rope from around him. The 1st thing we were taught as a basic copper in the academy is that you never remove the rope it goes intact with the body to the coroner, and for forensic testing before being removed. They have eliminated evidence that may assist in an investigation.

We don't know if the sister or neighbor took him down or even emergency responders if they got their fast. Sounds like she was home when it happened and she might have got to him right after and may have tried to revive him. I get the feeling that this all transpired fairly quickly and if true then would think any responsible person is going to make an attempt to revive him. I would think not removing or even cutting the person down initially comes into the play when it is beyond clear the person has been dead for a substantial amount of time and their is no hope of reviving.

I can only speak for the US but believe in most states that a paramedic cannot declare somebody dead and except in obvious cases of death beyond recessitation they need to make an attempt to revive that person and this would obviously include removing a noose and taking a hanging person down even to just initially check vitals. I also would think a police officer would have the same responsibility first arriving at a scene where a person may still may have a chance if cut down. If they got there hours after a death I don't think it would be clear if a person could be revived or not without taking the person down.

Didn't go through police academy and could be wrong but I would think there would be a clear distinction in protocol depending on the state of the deceased (dead for a week or still warm to the touch)

We don't know if the sister or neighbor took him down or even emergency responders if they got their fast. Sounds like she was home when it happened and she might have got to him right after and may have tried to revive him. I get the feeling that this all transpired fairly quickly and if true then would think any responsible person is going to make an attempt to revive him. I would think not removing or even cutting the person down initially comes into the play when it is beyond clear the person has been dead for a substantial amount of time and their is no hope of reviving.

I can only speak for the US but believe in most states that a paramedic cannot declare somebody dead and except in obvious cases of death beyond recessitation they need to make an attempt to revive that person and this would obviously include removing a noose and taking a hanging person down even to just initially check vitals. I also would think a police officer would have the same responsibility first arriving at a scene where a person may still may have a chance if cut down. If they got there hours after a death I don't think it would be clear if a person could be revived or not without taking the person down.

Didn't go through police academy and could be wrong but I would think there would be a clear distinction in protocol depending on the state of the deceased (dead for a week or still warm to the touch)

In my experience, you are both correct. It depends on the surrounding circumstances as you both ably stated.

first question, who would profit from this?

Indeed. ;)

The Rope Maker?

Seriously, as I mentioned before (in a removed post) if somebody is determined to think there is foul play involved then it would have to be the sister.

The sister claims to have come because he was despondent.

The Wife or GF is gone and has been (why he was emotionally down)

The sister was not only living there when it happened but sounds like she was at home when it happened and would have to know if something foul was a play.

If there was some sort of cover up here then clearly the cops must be protecting the sister who has only been here a couple weeks.

The reports says the house was his but not sure how accurate that is but it he certainly could have owned it through a company or something by himself.

But based on the reports thus far it seems this was just an unfortunate situation where a fairly young but older man felt his life was not worth living. Although not mentioned my bet would be there was some financial problems going on too. Not only can money by happiness in many cases (especially here in Thailand) but if I had to guess ... the wife or gf would not have left unless finances became an issue. Just a complete guess with nothing to back this up except for the obvious need of some Thai girls in terms of dependence on a certain cash flow but also in general money issues leading to many break-ups all around the globe.

Someone was pretty sure he was dead as there is a picture of him hanging. As for who removed the noose? Maybe the young cop holding it in another picture. He learns so quickly, knows how to get his mug published, give that lad a promotion!

Thai police and especially detectives should be made to watch at least a few years worth of CSI and Law & Order as part of basic training. But then would the actors and producers be working without a permit? Taking jobs away from the oh-so-competent Thai police trainers. (Give me a hundred thousand baht son, and that job is yours. You are such a quick study. Promoted!!!)

Someone was pretty sure he was dead as there is a picture of him hanging.

Good point. I didn't realize that was him in the photo and just thought for some reason they were blurring out a neighbor or something .... forgot this was the Thai press.

... how sad ... the good sister knew enough to know that her brother was in trouble and rose to the call, traveling to Thailand to care for him ... still, the man's despair was apparently too deep for anyone, even family, to turn him from suicide ... no one, even mental healthcare professionals, can really know what goes on in the mind of a man in such desperate pain.

... many here in Thailand, myself included, immediately suspect something rotten ... this is more common a story in Thailand, than not.

... while this appears to be a case of suicide, that does not mean it is without sinister plot and perpetrators.

... a picture of this man's financial situation before arriving in Thailand and now would be interesting ... and, similarly the financials of his surviving wife before they met, and now ... was this really just about lost love?

... God rest his soul, and save us all from a similar fate.

Edited by swillowbee