Need Some Advice And Insight!

tingtong

Those sold by trunk going around the villages with speaker announcing " look pla phan pla !... " will sell at retail price ฿1-2 /fingerling at size 4''-5'' inches, the price i got are wholesale price base on volume. For recreation pond with existing fishes like pla chon and pla duk in it, the introduction of new pla duk fingerlings, the surviver rate will be very low as the new fingerlings will end up being prey on. Commercial pond are usually clear and rid off existing fishes, pond preparation done before new fingerlings are introduce into.

RBH,

100% correct,

the price i paid is retail for the fish, but as i mentioned above, this 500 intend to be some sort of trial, and for this amount to drive even 50km to get it would be prohibitive as total cost included diesel would be greater than buy this way... paid 500 baht for 500, so, 1 THB/fish, the size about what you mentioned, 3-4 inches, i think.

i am aware that my lakes as they are now wouldnt be a good thing for the fingerlings, so, yet they arent introduced to the pond, but stay in a pool, what has been filled with water from the pond, ie. the environment wont be all new to them. But yes, i dont want them to be dinner for the pla chon, nor that the tilapia eat up the more expensive catfish food.

will wait for next week, suppose to meet the local fishery/agro department girl, and see what way we go from there, in the moment fish are confortable, and it is easy for me to feed them too. I guess it is impossible for them to grow a lot in 3 days, but some sure looks they did :)

I am woking on this checking out part :)

Should have a meeting this coming Monday with the local department "expert" girl. let see what she has to say, who knows?

As for stocking the lake, i would start out with the smallest one, but even that would need some preparation before hand, to get rid of the existing "free range" fish, mostly tilapia, of various sizes.

Take my hat off to anyone who can break even in this fish game. This year is my second go at it, small time. Couple of years ago we stocked some ponds with fish. Now the ponds were not purpose dug, but were the holes dug for soil needed to raise the factory. Then the big rains came and the ponds were no longer ponds, but deeper holes in a lake. Fish were on there way to the Mekong.

This year had a dam dug, it's free around here the diggers sell the soil for house raising. So had a nice big dam, with a shade cloth fence to block escape routes. Stocked it with cat fish. All's good. FIL then goes and get 1000 fingerlings and stocks one of the older ponds, put picks the smallest one as it's closer to the office, up to him not my money.

4 days ago see the mother in law drive off with the fingerling seller. Next day I'm told that MIL has made a good deal with the fish seller and bought 5000 fingerlings, good for her, where is she putting them and who's paying, as I'm not. She thought I would pay and she has put them in the other pond at the factory. FIL is most unhappy as he will have to pay for them, so phones the seller and says come get your fish back. Too late big time rain and we are an island in a big lake again, fish are on their way to the Mekong.

My fish are fine and when or if it stops raining I will get a six pack and go fishing in my pond. Jim

That what i do currently with the tilapia...recreation for technically zero input, fun fishing them.

But since there is more than 1 lake, i think why not try little commercial enterprise, for my wife to keep her busy while watching the rice growing :)

Lucky for us, while it was everyday raining the last 2 weeks, and the water level had risen about 20-30cm, it is still a long way to go before they could escape to the fields...

I am woking on this checking out part :)

Should have a meeting this coming Monday with the local department "expert" girl. let see what she has to say, who knows?

As for stocking the lake, i would start out with the smallest one, but even that would need some preparation before hand, to get rid of the existing "free range" fish, mostly tilapia, of various sizes.

Take her advice with a pinch of salt, 99% of the local fishery department "expert'' are theorist, no hands-on business experience, never invested a cent doing fish farming in the commercial platforms, all pratical lessons learned is when you actually put in money investing in your farm and hands-on the operations. :)

Want to hear what she has to say of course, some local info wont help...but my thoughts are the same with most academic/experts...:

who can do it, do it, who cant do it, teach it! :)

will report tomorrow of the meeting...

What size are your ponds? (i.e. area and depth)

the smallest might be about 600m2, then there is one about 900m2, and the biggest probably about 1 rai or so...

yet didnt measure them for exact size, and not feel so in the heavy rain now :)

but i believe this is about it.

the depth is about 2m, maybe little higher now due the every day rains, and guess lower in rainy season.

Edited by tingtong