Electric Meter Reading Help

ozymandious

I need help reading these 2 meters.

Is it an apples to apples comparison and a kWh is a kWh

Or is there some conversion necessary because the meters don't match exactly?

Meter discrepancies

Meter A: 16-60 A 80 rev/kWh

Meter B: 5-6 A 480 rev/ kWh

That's the only difference between the two.

help me read these meters please.

if one reads 100 and the other reads 100 are they the same?

Thank you

Ozy

post-32183-0-90611100-1299819815_thumb.j

They both measure kilowatt hours and 100 should equal 100 although one of the meters has a fractional reading. The higher amperage meter has a different rotational speed because it is made to record much higher current levels and therefore it is less wear and tear on the meter by having a slower spin. One would be considered appropriate for a small factory and one for a normal household.

One meter is also a 3 phase meter and the other just a single phase but no matter ,,,,,,,,,,,the readings are still a total of kilowatt hours used by each system. My guess is the 3 phase is the government meter and is giving a reading of the connection to the property and the single phase unit may be on the output side of the 3 phase and it is installed by the property owner to measure just the single phase to a house or apartment or whatever

Ozymandious,

1. The two kWh meters described with attached thumbnail(s) both read the energy flowing internally through them and display the amount in digital format. 100 kWhrs displayed on meter "A" equals 100 kWhrs displayed on meter "B". Both are 3-phase, 4-wire kWh meters.

2. Meter "A" is intended to be directly connected to a 3X220/380 volt, 15-60 amp circuit.

3. Meter "B" is intended to be connected to a 3X220/380 volt, 5 amp current transformer (CT) secondary circuit.

4. Meter "B" needs a set of 3XCTs to measure the primary circuit current, example 200/5 ratio CTs around the 3X380 volt conductors. The CT ratio would be indicated on the faceplate.

5. Meter "B" digital kWh reading would then need to be multiplied by 40 (200/5) to determine the actual total external kWhrs being consumed.

• 1 month later...

Ozymandious,

Not sure you understood InterestedObservers reply.

The second meter, is a CT meter meaning it has a "K" factor. To obtain the kWh reading from this meter you will need to multiply the dial reading by the CT ratios that are connected. As I can not see what CT's are connected to this meter it could be any ratio. Normally in Australia you would see a sticker saying 40 (200/5 CT's) or 160(800/5 CT's) or others.

So in this case kWh reads are not apples for apples.

You will need to determine the size of the CT's connected and then multiply that to the dial read to obtain actual kWh read.

• 10 months later...

can ant one tell how to read my meter as it has 6 digets and the last one looks like a tenth of a unit as in England the last diget is a tenth but here it looks like its a whole unit ,please tell me how many units i have used in a day if the reading was 37586 and now is 37600 but the meter could say 3758/6 to 3760/0 as it defaintly looks like a part of a unit on the last diget as it has red ........

thanks

It's either 14 units or 1.4 units, Thailand has meters with both 1 unit and 1/10 unit as the last dial just to confuse.

If you can post a photo we can tell easily.

What electrical items are you using?

can ant one tell how to read my meter as it has 6 digets and the last one looks like a tenth of a unit as in England the last diget is a tenth but here it looks like its a whole unit ,please tell me how many units i have used in a day if the reading was 37586 and now is 37600 but the meter could say 3758/6 to 3760/0 as it defaintly looks like a part of a unit on the last diget as it has red ........

thanks

I would say 37600 - 37586 = 14 units and would usually read on the bill as 14.00, the first 5 digit reading is your unit bill reading.

There's different types of meters old and new, you say your meter has 6 digits my has 5 and is a 15 /45 amp supply.

I'm sure later someone will explain more fully than me.

Edited by Kwasaki