Songkran '11 - When Is Earliest Water Throwing Fights?

labik

As the dates are set for April 13 ~ 15, certainly there will be no holds on those dates.

Specifically for Bangkok, what is the earliest date possible that people will be out to throw water? The 13th is a Wednesday, does that mean water throwers will start to be out by Monday? Even before that, on Saturday? I recall a discussion last year and someone mentioned it starts at least a few days early and ends a few days after.

I could be in Bangkok on the eve of 9th, with 10th and 11th for shopping. Cutting it close?

Would be grateful if someone could edify me on how the dates for Songkran are decided - is it based on a Lunar Cycle like the Chinese New Year or is their a specific Budhist calendar (is Songkran a Budhist festival)?

Can someone also explain why the "main" day seems to be celebrated on different days around the country. Noticed in the Pattaya forum the main day would be 18th/19th and a bit worried as I'll be arriving on the 20th and hope to avoid most of the festivities/mayhem.

Songkran is actually Thai New Year's Day, and never changes (it's my birthday, so I have reason to know).

Water-throwing starts at different dates in different places. In Nan it starts on April 1, because "they have nothing else to do" (so I was told). I think the Pattaya date is simply a device to squeeze more money out of tourists.

Songkran is actually Thai New Year's Day, and never changes (it's my birthday, so I have reason to know).

Water-throwing starts at different dates in different places. In Nan it starts on April 1, because "they have nothing else to do" (so I was told). I think the Pattaya date is simply a device to squeeze more money out of tourists.

Pattaya has managed to turn Songkran into a 5 day water war.

OK if you like that sort of thing (and I recommend everyone should experience Songkran 'Pattaya Style' ) but it does not reflect the real spirit of Songkran.

Anyone know when the mad exodus is likely to start, from Bangkok? I'm off to Udon Thani. ;)

The weekend before. Up North, Songkran tends to be a all-week-long festival and therefore tends to be a week-long holiday for people living in Bangkok but with family roots up there. Apart from Khao San Road and perhaps other tourist-areas, Bangkok is probably the safest place in Thailand to be during Songkran.

hi, is it just me or someelse might be afraid of what sort of liquid ppl are throwing at ya?

for example, deep fried oil lol :blink: or sulfuric acid :o yikes...

i've prviously had my songkrant in some other providnces besides bkk and ppl were gathering water from the dirty river.... if that shizzle gets in my eyes or mouth, i might get be in some medical stuff... those rivers may contain piss, rubbishes, industrial wastes, stuff from cooking, petroleumm ( once i haeard a car was dumped in the river...) some other poopies :jap:

hi, is it just me or someelse might be afraid of what sort of liquid ppl are throwing at ya?

i've prviously had my songkrant in some other providnces besides bkk and ppl were gathering water from the dirty river.... if that shizzle gets in my eyes or mouth, i might get be in some medical stuff... those rivers may contain piss, rubbishes, industrial wastes, stuff from cooking, petroleumm ( once i haeard a car was dumped in the river...) some other poopies :jap:

don't sweat the small stuff - gotta remember Thai villagers have stomachs like billy-goats so river water is nothing. No-one throws anything other than water, but the fact that it's needlessly ice-cold is nothing short of collective sadism. My condo overlooks a Tesco carpark full of annoying skateboarders. Tesco Lotus is run by pussies who seemingly can't control their own car park - they even let the kids (actually grown men) leave their ramps on the car park. I've been stockpiling water balloons and I plan to start waterbombing on the Saturday before, get a good week out of it. A couple of test throws confirm they blow big! I'm kind of curious what reaction I'll get. Brick through my window maybe? If the waterbombs don't work I'll fill my supersoaker with piss and just let them have it.

Reminds me I have to book my Air Asia flight to some civilised destination...

you know it really does make me laugh around this time of year, just before Songkran comes around.

the amount of posters who knock those that dare to complain about anything in the LOS and then guess what ? first sign of people actually enjoying themselves, integrating and doing what " most " Thai people do ( even the older generations ) because this after all THAILAND. and the holier than holy, the ones that like to preach all year round because they have converted " so much " into the Thai way of doing things and anyone that hasn't or doesn't should leave via the first flight out of Swampy.

then come out with crap like this ! jheezzzzzzzzz.

Edited by tigerfish

Reminds me I have to book my Air Asia flight to some civilised destination...

you know it really does make me laugh around this time of year, just before Songkran comes around.

the amount of posters who knock those that dare to complain about anything in the LOS and then guess what ? first sign of people actually enjoying themselves, integrating and doing what " most " Thai people do ( even the older generations ) because this after all THAILAND. and the holier than holy, the ones that like to preach all year round because they have converted " so much " into the Thai way of doing things and anyone that hasn't or doesn't should leave via the first flight out of Swampy.

then come out with crap like this ! jheezzzzzzzzz.

Sorry all trains, planes and buses are solid out for these dates.:lol:

I have my escape planned for the 10th of April. I'll be safely out of Thailand and won't be back until after the madness ends. Phuket is unbearable with the drunk drivers, stupid foreigners that see Songkran as an excuse to take being a tosser to the max. I was due to fly out to Japan, but am in the midst of making alternative arrangements.

I have my escape planned for the 10th of April. I'll be safely out of Thailand and won't be back until after the madness ends. Phuket is unbearable with the drunk drivers, stupid foreigners that see Songkran as an excuse to take being a tosser to the max. I was due to fly out to Japan, but am in the midst of making alternative arrangements.

Vietnam, Malaysia or Singapore would be some reasonable destinations nearby.

is this you with the sk8ters?????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7sQlM476cM&feature=related

don't sweat the small stuff - gotta remember Thai villagers have stomachs like billy-goats so river water is nothing. No-one throws anything other than water, but the fact that it's needlessly ice-cold is nothing short of collective sadism. My condo overlooks a Tesco carpark full of annoying skateboarders. Tesco Lotus is run by pussies who seemingly can't control their own car park - they even let the kids (actually grown men) leave their ramps on the car park. I've been stockpiling water balloons and I plan to start waterbombing on the Saturday before, get a good week out of it. A couple of test throws confirm they blow big! I'm kind of curious what reaction I'll get. Brick through my window maybe? If the waterbombs don't work I'll fill my supersoaker with piss and just let them have it.