My First Impressions Of Chiang Mai

jackers

Op, you're very green, my friend. If you were expecting a picturesque village-like experience nestled amid the hills, then I'm very sorry to disappoint but you haven't done your homework. It is one of the country's busiest cities, this is no secret; so yes it will have lots of traffic, big roads, many buildings, etc. If you'd have done your research and prepared yourself rather than come in blindly, you wouldn't be making yourself look silly. There really is no excuse today - go to google and type in Chiang Mai, hit images. Also, had you checked out the likes of Wikitravel you could have learned of Pai (a major attraction in this region) as opposed to finding out about it from some random dude.

You are of course entitled to your views on the place, but at least arm yourself first with some sort of knowledge.

chiang mai is not a fantastic place to visit as a tourist once you have done the elephant and tiger places which id never lower myself to do

its just another thai city nothing special but we do have a few nice places to drink eat and be merry

we have a large xpat community of all ages and hale from many places its the people that make a community once you are part of it

ita a nice place to live

but as a tourist hang out id not rate it at all

Disagree with most of what you say, although surely you're being flippant.

It IS one of the best places in the country for tourists - there is tons to do both in and around town and you've clearly missed out if you think 'once you have done the elephant and tiger places which id never lower myself to do its just another thai city'. If you'd tear yourself away from that 'xpat community', you'd discover some very impressive elephant conservation camps that do sterling work. You also can't have been to many Thai cities... I've been to most of them and can tell you CM is not just another Thai city. It has this pretty cool moat, old walls, and huge mountain bearing over it; have you seen it?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because I wanted to post my first impressions, if people want to jump on my back they can do, but I find some of the responses a bit over the top to be honest.

Agreed.

> So even for yourself your first impression was not really a favourable one.

No but I didn't tell those that have chosen to make a life here that :whistling:

I think that's strange reasoning. I for one am very interested in what people think, and first impressions are very valueable. I'm happy that he bothered to post! How many other tourists would have the exact same experience?

To the OP, for a much quieter and smaller (but still old) town I would try Phrae.

Pai on the other hand is way, Way, WAYYYYY more touristy than Chiang Mai. The whole reason people go there is to hang out with other backpackers and veg a little, or go to pubs, etc. Pai is a tiny town with more tourists than locals. Whatever you can say about Chiang Mai, there are vastly more local people than tourists.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Op, you're very green, my friend. If you were expecting a picturesque village-like experience nestled amid the hills, then I'm very sorry to disappoint but you haven't done your homework. It is one of the country's busiest cities, this is no secret; so yes it will have lots of traffic, big roads, many buildings, etc. If you'd have done your research and prepared yourself rather than come in blindly, you wouldn't be making yourself look silly. There really is no excuse today - go to google and type in Chiang Mai, hit images. Also, had you checked out the likes of Wikitravel you could have learned of Pai (a major attraction in this region) as opposed to finding out about it from some random dude.

You are of course entitled to your views on the place, but at least arm yourself first with some sort of knowledge.

chiang mai is not a fantastic place to visit as a tourist once you have done the elephant and tiger places which id never lower myself to do

its just another thai city nothing special but we do have a few nice places to drink eat and be merry

we have a large xpat community of all ages and hale from many places its the people that make a community once you are part of it

ita a nice place to live

but as a tourist hang out id not rate it at all

Disagree with most of what you say, although surely you're being flippant.

It IS one of the best places in the country for tourists - there is tons to do both in and around town and you've clearly missed out if you think 'once you have done the elephant and tiger places which id never lower myself to do its just another thai city'. If you'd tear yourself away from that 'xpat community', you'd discover some very impressive elephant conservation camps that do sterling work. You also can't have been to many Thai cities... I've been to most of them and can tell you CM is not just another Thai city. It has this pretty cool moat, old walls, and huge mountain bearing over it; have you seen it?

Exactly what I wanted to say but Jack has managed it much more succinctly than I would have managed.

It's coming up 16 years ago since I first set foot in Chiang Mai, I loved it from day one and am still discovering new things to do/places to go in its environs.

Edited by anonymouse

I didn't care much for CM on my first trip when I spent only a week here. But it was clear to me then that visiting a place and living in a place are totally different experiences. I would not recommend CM to the typical tourist, but I highly recommend it as a place to live whenever I ma asked.

Everyone basically has said he right thing, and put very well. What did you expect with a comment like that with no explanation.

They are not jumping on your back about your comment. We are justifying that you made a very vague comment, although we respect your opinion on your first day.

We are just very protective of our Chiang Mai and we all have our own reasons for loving it.

You should have elaborated in the first post your expectations and as you have later.

I will be very surprised if you would like Bangkok. (Unless Nana Plaza is your forte)

There are many tut tuts here that you can take instead worrying about a motor bike, haggle the price for where you want to go, some drivers take advantage with Farang's

It may be cheaper to consider getting an air con cab with a meter or as suggested do a tour.

Pai is supposed to be very nice and as yet I have never got to go there as I am still discovering Chiang Mai (ive been here 4 years)

So please post your comments about Pai when you get to go..jap.gif

I didn't care much for CM on my first trip when I spent only a week here. But it was clear to me then that visiting a place and living in a place are totally different experiences. I would not recommend CM to the typical tourist, but I highly recommend it as a place to live whenever I ma asked.

I would have no hesitation to recommend CH and many many people have taken that recommendation and been very glad they did and often repeat the experience. More newbies coming this year.

There you go-nowt stranger than folk!

My first trip to Chiang Mai was around 7 years ago and only for 4 or 5 days. I wasn't impressed, however I didn't rent a bike or anything and stayed around the moat.

Fast forward to last year where I spent a few weeks up there and found it extremely charming with cooler weather than many other places in Thailand. There are a lot of artists up there, less douche bags, parts of the city are very cozy, and it overall has a good vibe to it. It also helps having a campus there with an endless amount of tail.

It seems like a much more laid back way of life, which I like. I also enjoyed Pai, even though it was full of tourists, it was still nice to get outside of the tiny town center and explore the surrounding areas. Stunning scenery.

To each his own. But I know EXPLORING the area made for a totally different experience.

Serious comment: I think it's likely a matter of expectations. If you expect a city that's so much nicer/cheaper/better than Bangkok then chances are you'll like Chiang Mai.

But some people seem to expect something out of Lord of the Rings.

And some of those are initially dissappointed.

Others persist, get a moped, and stumble upon things like....... this:

and this:

and this: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=VPjhmGkCEOY

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Serious comment: I think it's likely a matter of expectations. If you expect a city that's so much nicer/cheaper/better than Bangkok then chances are you'll like Chiang Mai.

But some people seem to expect something out of Lord of the Rings.

And some of those are initially dissappointed.

Others persist, get a moped, and stumble upon things like....... this:

and this:

and this: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=VPjhmGkCEOY

two out of three new things for me too!

No but I didn't tell those that have chosen to make a life here that :whistling:

My post wasn't specifically aimed at those who have chosen to make a life here and I definitely not going to be scared to tell whomever what my first impressions are.

here's my nearly three year impression:

• a balance of old and new
  • typically friendlier Thais than those down 'South'
  • gorgeous scenery
  • great restaurants
  • normally tolerant surroundings
  • reasonably priced
  • not much PC rubbish going on
  • beautiful temples
  • reasonable nightlife
  • great 'jump off' point for the rest of Asia

I could go on... and on... and on... (beut I shall resist - for once!). I have traveled extensively but never once when I was in Moscow, Lithuania, New York nor indeed Bali or Mumbai (well maybe Mumbai was THE exception!) was I tempted after one day to make a rather silly judgement on such a beautiful place. Come back and tell us after a year.

Once again, I posted a first impression not any final judgement or final conclusion. Are you seriously saying that you've been to all those places and never had any kind of instant impression, thought, opinion on the first day you got there?

Chiang Mai is not the place to see good Muay Thai Boxing, looks like you havn't really done your homework :o

Not about muay thai boxing, there is only so much research that can be done and research can't predict the outcome of everything, I'm not going to lose anything by going except 400b and a little time, I'll survive.

and this:

and this: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Ym5TR4u9QaM

and this:

and I could likely go on. ;)

(The last one is worth watching also if you're been in Chiang Mai a couple years. ;) )

i guess that second one is Wararot?

First and second are, yes. Second one is a little lane near Warorot. Nice place to stroll around on a busy morning.

I checked wiki before I came here and saw plenty of images of the place, like I said research only takes you so far. I'm not going to research every single place on wikitravel and then make a decision about whether I should travel to place purely on what wikitravel says.

Edited by jackers

I checked wiki before I came here and saw plenty of images of the place, like I said research only takes you so far. I'm not going to research every single place on wikitravel and then make a decision about whether I should travel to place purely on what wikitravel says.

Ah ... but here's the rub ... you were talking on another thread about MONTHLY accommodation. When you start with a plan to spend 30 days + in a location it does really fall on you to do the research first.

My first impression of CNX was in 1997. I loved it. then several times in the intervening years. I loved it. My first trip up here after moving to Thailand and ...... I loved it. It is worth noting that only on one of those trips (2004) did I stay anywhere near the tourist section.

edit----- I actually only moved up here 15 months ago (my impression?--- I love it)

Edited by jdinasia

Everyone basically has said he right thing, and put very well. What did you expect with a comment like that with no explanation.

They are not jumping on your back about your comment. We are justifying that you made a very vague comment, although we respect your opinion on your first day.

We are just very protective of our Chiang Mai and we all have our own reasons for loving it.

You should have elaborated in the first post your expectations and as you have later.

I just wanted to post what my first impressions were and the post clearly states it's my first impression. Looking at this thread you'd think that some people never had a first impression about something in their life.

I will be very surprised if you would like Bangkok. (Unless Nana Plaza is your forte)

There are many tut tuts here that you can take instead worrying about a motor bike, haggle the price for where you want to go, some drivers take advantage with Farang's

It may be cheaper to consider getting an air con cab with a meter or as suggested do a tour.

Pai is supposed to be very nice and as yet I have never got to go there as I am still discovering Chiang Mai (ive been here 4 years)

So please post your comments about Pai when you get to go..jap.gif

Different strokes for different folks as someone said I read about, heard a lot about it but it's different to actually go to a place in person. For instance the heat and the pollution (which I don't think there is much of) doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Ah ... but here's the rub ... you were talking on another thread about MONTHLY accommodation. When you start with a plan to spend 30 days + in a location it does really fall on you to do the research first.

My first impression of CNX was in 1997. I loved it. then several times in the intervening years. I loved it. My first trip up here after moving to Thailand and ...... I loved it. It is worth noting that only on one of those trips (2004) did I stay anywhere near the tourist section.

But me asking about monthly accommodation in a thread IS doing research.

But me asking about monthly accommodation in a thread IS doing research.

Actually ... it is showing a commitment to live somewhere that by the mere presence of this thread shows you didn't research. Oh well ... live and learn!

My post wasn't specifically aimed at those who have chosen to make a life here and I definitely not going to be scared to tell whomever what my first impressions are.

here's my nearly three year impression:

• a balance of old and new
  • typically friendlier Thais than those down 'South'
  • gorgeous scenery
  • great restaurants
  • normally tolerant surroundings
  • reasonably priced
  • not much PC rubbish going on
  • beautiful temples
  • reasonable nightlife
  • great 'jump off' point for the rest of Asia

I could go on... and on... and on... (beut I shall resist - for once!). I have traveled extensively but never once when I was in Moscow, Lithuania, New York nor indeed Bali or Mumbai (well maybe Mumbai was THE exception!) was I tempted after one day to make a rather silly judgement on such a beautiful place. Come back and tell us after a year.

Once again, I posted a first impression not any final judgement or final conclusion. Are you seriously saying that you've been to all those places and never had any kind of instant impression, thought, opinion on the first day you got there?

Chiang Mai is not the place to see good Muay Thai Boxing, looks like you havn't really done your homework :o

Not about muay thai boxing, there is only so much research that can be done and research can't predict the outcome of everything, I'm not going to lose anything by going except 400b and a little time, I'll survive.

I did say 'maybe Mumbai' but that is hardly the same as Mumbai is a sh*thole

. Also tomorrow I'd like to go to a muay thai boxing match.

The Muay Thai stadium over the river just south of Charoen Muang Road on Kong Sai Road is the real deal, alfieconn. No pretend tourist shows there. Perhaps you'd better continue with your homework. :whistling:

[

Actually ... it is showing a commitment to live somewhere

And doing research.

that by the mere presence of this thread shows you didn't research. Oh well ... live and learn!

The presence of the thread doesn't show that at all, the main problem that people seem to have is that my first impression is not a favourable one. Like I said I have done research people can choose to believe it or not. There is a limit to how much research I do about a place, I prefer to actually see the place in person than research until the cows come home.

'Maybe' only one place that you ever have had a first thought, impression, opinion, good or bad? I find that extraordinary. And I haven't said that Chiang mai is a shithole or anything like that. I would still much prefer to be here than London.

The Muay Thai stadium over the river just south of Charoen Muang Road on Kong Sai Road is the real deal, alfieconn. No pretend tourist shows there. Perhaps you'd better continue with your homework. :whistling:

The stadium that burned down early last year. Leaving Chiang Mai with the choice of either Chiang Mai entertainment plaza with its 'hostesses' and pretend fighting, or that old grotty place I only went in once and swore never to go again, with the same performance as above.

The OP is going to have to search out some small training gyms if he wants to see some Muay Thai. Or probably go to Lumphini in BKK.

My bit of advice for the OP - don't go to Pai, find your own Pai. There are plenty of small towns in the mountains that are just like Pai 20 years ago. And 20 years ago they were just like Pai. You just need to find them. I've found a lovely one, but I'm not telling anyone. I wouldn't want it to end up like Pai. I guess the advice is go explore and discover. If you walk around the moat that was put in place to please tourists, then head up to the one town that

[start young traveller finding himself voice] 'is really out there, man, its like a 3 hr minibus ride (departing every hour in high season) through some mindblowing mountains man, totally off the beaten track man [close irritating voice]

then you're going to leave disappointed.

The best thing about CM is the surrounding areas. Get your own wheels and start exploring, if you feel confident enough to drive.

I agree, living near San Pa tong there is a lot of place to go for a one day trip. Lampang, Lamphun, Mae Wang, Sang Khampeng, Mae Rim, the Mae Hong Son loop through Pai - Mae Hong Son - Mae Sariang, and more and more. So many places to visit even if it's not famous, but you can find beauty everywhere if you open your eyes.

Of course the city is not the most interesting part of the province.

'Maybe' only one place that you ever have had a first thought, impression, opinion, good or bad? I find that extraordinary. And I haven't said that Chiang mai is a shithole or anything like that. I would still much prefer to be here than London.

I wasn't particularly criticizing just saying give it more time as somewhere like Mumbai is so obviously a bad place full of people sh*tting in the street etc. that one can instantly say 'wow this is not good' (and I lived in Mumbai a year for work!).

But to even think Chiang Mai as a 'poor first impression' when it so obviously it is a vibrant interesting place (but you don't know that I grant you) is premature. London is not so bad in places too (I lived in Greenwich for six years and loved it) - the theaters, concerts, parks... anyway I digress - you seem very quick to evaluate when others might be a little more 'reserved' in their judgement that's all.

The presence of the thread doesn't show that at all, the main problem that people seem to have is that my first impression is not a favourable one. Like I said I have done research people can choose to believe it or not. There is a limit to how much research I do about a place, I prefer to actually see the place in person than research until the cows come home.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Jackers,

The "main problem" is that you are spending your time thinking about, and writing e-mails about, how you're not experiencing what you wanted, rather than actually "having" any experiences.

You could have easily come on this forum, and (as invited), told us a little about yourself, and the things you liked to do, and what the first things you did were, and gotten myriad specific responses and suggestions of places to go and things to see.

Instead, you engage in constant multi-message negation, debate, and whinging hair-splitting.

That so many people are actually taking the time to cater here to an obvious case of "Princess and the Pea" syndrome (a form of Trolling), is actually fascinating. Another term that comes to mind, from our old "psychology" daze, is: "help rejecting complainer."

We can say clearly that our first impression of you is now of a kind of vacuum that's really getting-off on sucking up attention.

If Chiang Mai is "dead" for you: please step aside, so we necrophiliacs can party-on, dude :)

Last call for this thread, for this twosome: now.

best, ~o:37;

I am planning to move to Thailand very soon,and from what I can tell Chiang Mai seems like a perfect fit for me.I grew up in the U.S.A. spend many years in central america moved to Israel like 8 months ago,and the people here seem a little stressed out .I think thats because there know real peace in this part of the world.I would like if any one could tell me more about Chiang Mai.Before I get there.I am kinda a laid back guy,enjoy different things.I do think that after a short trip to any place and to say what they think is well I am LOL. Just my 2 cents

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Jackers,

The "main problem" is that you are spending your time thinking about, and writing e-mails about, how you're not experiencing what you wanted, rather than actually "having" any experiences.

You could have easily come on this forum, and (as invited), told us a little about yourself, and the things you liked to do, and what the first things you did were, and gotten myriad specific responses and suggestions of places to go and things to see.

Instead, you engage in constant multi-message negation, debate, and whinging hair-splitting.

I thought debate is part of what a forum is about.

That so many people are actually taking the time to cater here to an obvious case of "Princess and the Pea" syndrome (a form of Trolling), is actually fascinating. Another term that comes to mind, from our old "psychology" daze, is: "help rejecting complainer."

If you say so, I just see it as engaging in debate.

We can say clearly that our first impression of you is now of a kind of vacuum that's really getting-off on sucking up attention.

If Chiang Mai is "dead" for you: please step aside, so we necrophiliacs can party-on, dude :)

Last call for this thread, for this twosome: now.

best, ~o:37;

Just speak for yourself and let other people speak for themselves.