Free Music Downloads

deadman

Limewire is a filesharing program that runs on the gnutella network. You can look for anything from shareware, music downloads with or without licence, video, photos, etc. What you get on it, and it's legality in your neck of the woods is up to you to deal with. Limewire is just a piece of software. There's the shareware version which works great and the turbo-charged pro version that costs about $20.

Most of the commercial providers of music downloads have some freebies on their sites, and some of them give you a bunch of free downloads as a signup bonus when you take out a subscription.

cv

allofMP3 is nearly free and legal (based in Russia and thier laws say you dont have to pay royalties) if not morally correct...

Its a full store typeprofessional website.. I dont use it but it seems pretty slick.. even can get losslessly encoded stuff there IIRC..

I prefer to pop into the record store if I happen to be passing by.Quicker than downloading, buy legal cd's, preferably SACD or DVD audio if content is available, make backups with FLAC lossless compression. Sure, it is not free, but that doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I prefer to pop into the record store if I happen to be passing by.Quicker than downloading, buy legal cd's, preferably SACD or DVD audio if content is available, make backups with FLAC lossless compression. Sure, it is not free, but that doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I have a 640 GB RAID array storing my lossless collection in APE format Lossless...

I also store DTS CD's but dont have any SACD..

That was one thing I noticed about allofMP3 they actually offer lossless downloads.. never tried them (speed issues) but it seemed impressive..

I have been loading up my 200gb external hard drive with mp3 music files and my own huge CD collection its now nearly half full so should be enough for my next 6 month trip.None from downloads all off DVDrs.So much more portable than the huge numbers of CDs and cassettes I used to have to take.

Use limewire - very rare, but norton catches it, so no harm no foul.

Just to clarify, I did not mean encountering malware/viruses/spyware etc. when downloading content files but rather upon installing Limewire or BearShare itself. That is, malware bundled into the Limewire/BearShare application.

Well .. thats funny.. i just dowloaded Limewire and the AV software didn't pick anything up... when I downloaded certain other ones the AV software went loopy...

totster :o

For those who use Limewire or BearShare do you have problems with malware? Last year, on an old PC I ran BearShare and it had some very nasty malware, one of which was challenging to remove and it would open new browser windows every 10 seconds.

Bearshare has 2 (I think only 2) "malwares" that get picked up by my anti-spyware s/w: "whenU" and "savenow" (or something like that). But my firewall s/w - ZoneAlarm - stops them communicating with the Internet, so I don't worry about them.

Could it be a time limited shareware or beta version from the earlier days? Try downloading the current version and installing.

cv

I used to use Lime wire and was happy with it; then one day I could open the application any longer. I tried uninstall and reinstall and same problem. No idea what is wrong. anyone have any ideas?

Help! Got through to the limewire site, but every time I tried to download either Basic or Pro version got redirected to home page. No option to Continue. Is Limiwire offline now or am I, a computer dinosaur, just being more reptilianly dumb than usual?!