Meltdown Likely Under Way At Japan Nuclear Reactor

george

U.S. military detects more radiation

6290535.jpgU.S. Air Force

The Air Force's WC-135W Constant Phoenix aircraft collects samples from the atmosphere for radiation analysis.

By Alan Boyle

U.S. officials have told NBC News that they're seeing a disparity between Japanese radiation readings and the readings they've been getting from military monitors.

Concerns about the release of radiation from Japan's stricken nuclear plants at the Fukushima Dai-ichi complex began with data collection on the aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan. On Monday, the U.S. Seventh Fleet relocated its ships and aircraft out of the downwind direction after crew members returning to the carrier were found to have picked up low levels of radioactive contamination. The personnel were scrubbed down with soap and water, then declared contamination-free.

http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/03/17/6290369-us-military-detects-more-radiation

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on the same TEPCO report, it appears the peak radiation readings measured on-site at the Fukushima plant in MILLI-sieverts have been as follows:

At approximately 10AM on March 15, we observed 400mSv/h [per hour] at the inland

side of the Unit 3 reactor building and 100mSv/h [per hour] at the inland side of the Unit 4 reactor building.

The normal rate of non-natural human radiation exposure per year should not exceed 1 millisievert per year.

Edited by jfchandler

You know, I don't understand something. I believe I've read here about Tourism Authority of Thailand talking about how they expect to have a loss of business and money from visiting Japanese...

To me, they ought to be expecting an increase in both...and even marketing accordingly...

Here's my suggestion for the new TAT ad campaign:

"Come to Thailand Now... Ya We're the Hub of Scams... But at least No Radiation." :D

Private jets in hot demand as Japan exodus grows

Unfortunately, this NBC related blog contains no detail of this beyond the following:

Since then, the data on radiation releases suggest a range of outcomes, going all the way up to "dire," the officials said. They spoke with NBC on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the findings publicly.

Mr. Edano: The SDF will spray water on the No.3 unit reactor in Fukushima this afternoon. /via @JPN_PMO:

(Cont) If the SDF's mission is successful, supplying water by the Tokyo Metro Police Dept to No. 1 reactor will be examined. /via @JPN_PMO:

Mr. Edano: Temperature of Unit 5& 6 reactors is rising. The current situation doesn't pose an imminent threat.

(Cont) We're working hard to restore electricity to cool down the reactors.

/via @JPN_PMO:

Mr. Edano:Some foreign governments have asked their citizens within 80 km radius of the nuclear power plant to evacuate as a precaution.

Cont) Such a more conservative approach in protecting the lives of their nationals is understandable.

(Cont) JPN would do so if it were in their shoes. But, JPN is taking appropriate measures so far based on monitoring results.

/via @JPN_PMO:

Unfortunately, this NBC related blog contains no detail of this beyond the following:

Since then, the data on radiation releases suggest a range of outcomes, going all the way up to "dire," the officials said. They spoke with NBC on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the findings publicly.

here you go John, a better article on the same subject by the NYT http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/18/world/asia/18intel.html?src=tptw

Just be aware, it's not just a matter of connecting a working AC feed...

The existing pumps in the reactors were trashed by the tsunami...

As best as I understand it, TEPCO will either need to repair those or replace them... And I haven't heard anything about their intended approach to that...

And whatever work they're going to be doing on the pumps, it's going to be in a radiation exposure environment.

They, supposedly, didn't make as much as expected progress on the AC today because the water spraying didn't happen until late in the afternoon/evening.

ah yes... the loss of the pumps themselves seems to have been glossed over in the ongoing reports.

They still seem to smack of 'everything will be ok' PR spin

I wondered how the infrastructure had coped with the impact of disintegrated buildings

Pete

Thanks James. Not much in the NYT report that deals with any issue of discrepancies between U.S. and Japanese monitoring data, as suggested in the prior blog...

But I see the NYT report did include this solid info relating to the U.S decision to adopt an 80 Km. evacuation zone for Americans.

In a statement, the [Nuclear Regulatory] commission said the advice grew out of its assessment that projected radiation doses within the evacuation zone might exceed one rem to the body or five rems to the thyroid gland. That organ is extremely sensitive to iodine 131 — another of the deadly byproducts of nuclear fuel, this one causing thyroid cancer. A rem is a standard measure of radiation dose. The commission says that the average American is exposed to about 0.62 rem of radiation each year from natural and manmade sources.

Yep, with the arrival of the Tokyo Fire Department units, they appear to be going with a ground based attack for now...

There was some reports and feeling that the air drops yesterday weren't particularly effective in hitting their target... Probably feel they can do a better targeting job from the ground.

AkikoFujita‎ Japanese Defense Ministry: No further helicopter water drops planned. No reason given. #Fukushima #JpquakeTwitter - seconds ago

Yep, with the arrival of the Tokyo Fire Department units, they appear to be going with a ground based attack for now...

There was some reports and feeling that the air drops yesterday weren't particularly effective in hitting their target... Probably feel they can do a better targeting job from the ground.

AkikoFujita‎ Japanese Defense Ministry: No further helicopter water drops planned. No reason given. #Fukushima #JpquakeTwitter - seconds ago

no doubt you saw the drops, accurate they weren't but considering the wind / radiation, not surprised.

Wouldn't surprise. The govt. spokesman Edano tends to answer those kinds of questions by throwing out various numbers, but often not being very specific about what monitoring locations he's referring to... right at the reactors... at the plant boundary... out in the communities nearby... And then, of course, he's occasionally mixed up MILLI vs. MICRO sievert references, as have the NHK English translators.

Seems to be some significant discrepancies in reported radiation levels around the reactors.

But it made for good TV and PR, and as I suggested yesterday, that probably was part of the broader equation at a time when the government was being perceived as not doing much.

no doubt you saw the drops, accurate they weren't but considering the wind / radiation, not surprised.

Lapan also detailed Defense Department assistance to Japan from the U.S. Northern Command, based at Peterson Air Force Base in Colorado Springs, Colo., and ongoing assistance from U.S. Navy ships in the region.

A nine-member expert planning team from Northcom was scheduled to arrive in Japan today, Lapan said.

“The team will provide technical advice on chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear and hazardous material, as well as medical and logistical [support],” he said. “They will report to the commander of U.S. Forces Japan and work closely with the Japanese military to evaluate and assess whether more U.S. help is needed.”

As a precautionary step for U.S. service members, Lapan said, the Defense Department is moving supplies of potassium iodide and possibly other compounds from the continental United States in case they are needed. Potassium iodide is used in radiation emergencies to help in protecting the thyroid gland from poisoning with radioactive iodine, one of the products released during a nuclear accident.

U.S. ships in the region continue to provide assistance in the area, Lapan said.

Full article from the US DOD here.. http://www.defense.gov/News/NewsArticle.aspx?ID=63199

NISA's latest status report on the Daiichi Plant as of last night also appears to reference them having connected and/or running an emergency power generator to supply power to Daiichi Reactors No. 5 and 6....

<Units 5 and 6>

・ Emergency Diesel Generator (1 unit) for Unit 6 is operable and

supplying electricity to Units 5 and 6. Water injection to the Spent Fuel

Pool through MUWC is progressing. It is scheduled to inject water to

RPV after the recovery of external power source.

http://www.nisa.meti.go.jp/english/files/en20110318-1.pdf

All Seventh Fleet ships, including USS George Washington and USS Lassen which are currently conducting maintenance in Yokosuka, are increasing their readiness posture in order to be prepared to conduct any tasking ordered. This includes the recall of personnel and the cancellation of leave.

Rest of the interesting read here http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?id=311358543470&story_fbid=10150107942433471#!/notes/us-7th-fleet/update-17-march/10150159191443615

From the first sentence above that I posted looks like they are getting ready to move out of that base south of Tokyo?

Agreed.

It was fairly easy to see just from the live footage, that the water from the helicopters dispersed quite widely and did not hit the target accurately. To the extent that it was reported that third load hit unit #4, when the press conference after clearly stated that the target for all the loads was unit #3. With all that water dropped, I am sure some water did hit the target, but with the only a small proportion of the water going to where its needed and the risk to the pilots in flying through the emissions coming from the plants, I am guessing that they judged the risks must outweigh the benefit. The ground spraying also comes with risks, but it is clear from the press releases yesterday that they believe much more water is hitting the target using that approach.

I'm testing an offsite storage link for Fukushima images... Please let me know if others here can view these... Thanks.

Inline Link

<iframe title ="Preview" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" frameborder="0" style="width:320px;height:236px;padding:0;background-color:#fcfcfc;" src="http://cid-0304a27865a697a1.photos.live.com/embedphoto.aspx/Fukushima%20Nuclear/NISA%20Common%20Radiation%20Chart.jpg"></iframe>

Web Link

http://cid-0304a2786...ion%20Chart.jpg

Edited by jfchandler

NHK reporting water spraying from the ground via JSDF fire truck has begun again on Reactor No. 3.

Saying 7 fire engines will be used in rotation.

Saying they plan to spray about 50 tons of water on the reactor this afternoon.

Saying Tokyo Fire Department units may be used on Reactor No. 1.

Edited by jfchandler

I'm testing an offsite storage link for Fukushima images... Please let me know if others here can view these... Thanks.

Inline Link

<iframe title ="Preview" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" frameborder="0" style="width:320px;height:236px;padding:0;background-color:#fcfcfc;" src="http://cid-0304a27865a697a1.photos.live.com/embedphoto.aspx/Fukushima%20Nuclear/NISA%20Common%20Radiation%20Chart.jpg"></iframe>

Web Link

http://cid-0304a2786...ion%20Chart.jpg

I can see the image via the web link, but the inline link just displays as code rather than an image.

Thanks Julian.. I see the same here..

I don't know why the TV system would not read the frame reference...when apparently people can do the same approach in linking to YouTube videos and such... I'm using the frame link item provided by MS SkyDrive...

When you go to the one linked image, can you see the other images in the same folder... or only the one linked image alone?