New Mitsubishi Triton Problems

Hi All. I took delivery of my new Triton just 2 weeks ago at Krabi, all looked ok at first glance but I was really peed off to see a couple of small dents on the roof plus the bed liner had no trim or had not even been stuck down on the edge near the tailgate. The salesman told me this is 'normal' and when i pointed out that soil, stones etc. will be pushed under the plastic he simply told me to go to their supplier up the road to have it finished 'properly'..which i did and was promptly charged another 400 baht !

Although the brochure proudly states a 5 yr warranty I was told this is now only 3 yrs!! I refused this of course and the salesman disappeared for a few minutes then returned to say 'OK' we'll give you the 5 yr warranty as if he was doing me a great favour.

The truck has no number plate at all, when i asked about this the salesman simply smiled and said they were out of stock of red plates and the white plates will take 45 days..I pointed out that this was against the law plus i intend to travel to Phuket which I know will be a problem, he promised the red plates for the next Tuesday, they weren't there when i arrived and i was promised them for the following week..you've guessed it..no red plates! Mitsu also now tell me the white plates will be another 2 months.

Part of the deal was for them to include 1000 bt of fuel..the gauge was on a quarter when i took delivery and needed refueling after 150 km..I put a 1000 bt in which pushed the gauge above halfway!! hmm..To add insult to injury the plastic window trims are now falling off and the chrome door cill trims are brown with rust. Each and every time i start the truck it spews out black soot onto my tiled patio..Mitsu tell me this is 'normal' ?? any one out there with any ideas or similar experience?

Blimey, that is a load of heartache chum.

The law now is you must have white plates on in 30 days or you get nicked. If me l would go to the registry office and complain and perhaps get a stamped form saying waiting for plates, l did this with the bike as the law had changed.

Fill up with Shell V-Power, cleanest fuel out there, no smoke unless your ride has a problem.

Rusty parts, dump them. :huh:

The law now is you must have white plates on in 30 days or you get nicked. If me l would go to the registry office and complain and perhaps get a stamped form saying waiting for plates, l did this with the bike as the law had changed.

Fill up with Shell V-Power, cleanest fuel out there, no smoke unless your ride has a problem.

Good idea Transam, I was thinking of asking the Krabi police for advice but this sounds better. I didn't realise there was any real difference between the fuel makes (I usually use PTT) and never had this black soot problem before with my previous new Isusu or new Toyota

Good idea Transam, I was thinking of asking the Krabi police for advice but this sounds better. I didn't realise there was any real difference between the fuel makes (I usually use PTT) and never had this black soot problem before with my previous new Isusu or new Toyota

yepp 30 days to get white plates and reg book

the dealer must pay vehicle to supplier before they recieve docs needed to register, and some dealers delay this as long as possible to take advantage of suppliers interest free credit, one to six months. on day 31 go to dealer demand plates and book, if not go to police and have them call dealer.

Soot exhaust. Sheel V-Power diesel contains a fraction of the sooting sulphur in other diesels, so should help. If still sooting, go to DLT and have exhaust measured while running ordinary Ptt diesel, and then bring results to Mitsu dealer if not acceptable

the rest, good idea to inspect vehicle and have red plates before paying dealer :)

Thx Kata, I'll be calling into the Krabi vehicle place and prob the police tomorrow for their thoughts on this then yet another trip to the mitsu showroom..if nothing else it might help avoid any 'fines' in the near future & make mitsu hurry up a bit..and yea, you're right of course, I should have refused delivery of the new motor at the time as I'm sure they would have come up with plates there and then if I had.

Btw, i had a closer look at the rusty door cill plates which read 'for triton' this implies to me they are simply cheap copies but where the hell do u go to get the real Mc coy if not the mitsu dealer?

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your new Triton. I have had one for three years and have 50k on the clock.It's the Triton plus and I have never had any problems at all. It still goes really well and I have never seen any black soot or smoke, ever. I can't place the chrome door sill. I don't think I have any real chrome on mine or at least I think mine has some trim which is chromed plastic. I certainly haven't seen any rust although the chromed mirrors are starting to show slight staining. Good luck anyway.

Cheers Jack, to be honest I still love the motor, the design is great, I particularly like the rounded lines and the front end..i still hate the rear end but will have to live with that :-) the engine and gearbox are nowhere near as smooth as the Vigo but better than the Isuzu so I felt it was a good compromise as I was fed up with the old fashioned boxy look of the others plus I like the interior better than the standard cream of Toyota & Isuzu.

My problems are really with the crap dealer here in Krabi and the rubbish 'extras' they provided but I'm sure I'll work this out, I was also surprised to see rust on the cill plates..my bet is that mitsu will just dismiss this as 'normal' when i see 'em in the morning :-). The soot thing may just be the fuel altho I ran my Isuzu on the same stuff for over 4 yrs without any problems so I may just get the emissions tested as suggested by Kata but it's annoying that mitsu don't seem to give a monkees about any of this!

Update: Called into Krabi Transport office, they were not at all interested and just referred me back to mitsu, Krabi police also told me the same but reminded me I must have white plates within 30 days..and just smiled when told mitsu refuse this stating they also have problems when buying a new motor! The police added that altho they are quite lenient in Krabi I will probably be fined if traveling to another Province, no further help or advice given.

As predicted, the manager was 'unavailable' & the mitsu salesman tells me this is all 'out of his control' and refused to accept responsibility for any fines incurred, but promised (yet again) I can have red plates on wed and said the white plates will not be here for another month! he also just dismissed the poor quality extras suggesting I polish the rust off the door trims :-( The mitsu 'supplier' of trim, window film etc. (a small accessory shop down the road) said the window plastic trim was prob loose because I'd washed the truck..same reason given for the rusty door cill trims..argghhh

In short, I'm getting nowhere fast..altho the motor itself seems fine (apart from the black <deleted> spewing out of the exaust) I would certainly advise anyone to give this crappy company a wide berth

There is a back log of vehicles to be registered down the south and in Surat the waiting time from Toyota for white plates is between 45 and 60 days. Don't worry what the law states bad luck for you if you have to pay a fine. As for red plates some dealers are also issuing false one's. Your black smoke problem just give it a flogging, you are most likely driving to softly, diesel's need a revving to clean out.

Edited by John 1

There is a back log of vehicles to be registered down the south and in Surat the waiting time from Toyota for white plates is between 45 and 60 days. Don't worry what the law states bad luck for you if you have to pay a fine. As for red plates some dealers are also issuing false one's. Your black smoke problem just give it a flogging, you are most likely driving to softly, diesel's need a revving to clean out.

Wow, learn something ever day. :rolleyes:

John1, This is 2011 and deisels are now a really a very different animal from the smog days. :)

Yea John but this 'bad luck' could run into many 000's of baht b4 i get legal plates, the Krabi police tell me to expect a 2000 bt fine if I go to Surat for example (thats prob each way!) I must admit I'm not hammering the engine, just driving normal, but I've only done 1000 km so far, would the engine really 'soot' up in this short time? and how come I never had this with my Isuzu or Toyota sportrider?

The DLTs with back log of registering new vehicles need max 7 days to register from docs recieved. Back log in Phuket is presently 2 days. Anything else is sheer dealer delay.

I have purchased several vehicles new in BKK and reg in Phuket, takes 2 hours from I enter DLT to I walk out with white plates and reg book. Every time.

Today I can pickup plates and book I supplied Phuket DLT docs on Friday.

Thanks Kata, good info. The mistu 'salesman' admitted the registration delay is due to 'company procedure', I replied that it's common knowledge they hang on to the new vehicle tax for as long as possible to acrue interest, he simply said again that this is out of his control..and i believe him. I also asked him to help me get the white plates myself as I've heard this can be achieved in just a few days but he said this isn't possible.

Interesting that the Krabi Transport office weren't in the slightest bit concerned nor were the police despite the fact Thai law is blatantly being ignored...hmmm, maybe the income from the 'fines' help to account for this?

I should add that the black soot problem seems to have solved 'itself', I checked again today and the exhaust output is now clean so maybe it just needed a 'blow out' as our friend suggested earlier.

BTW, the lady behind the desk at mitsu tells me they have had lots of complaints re the plate situation but (as yet) we've had no input or comments from any other disgruntled (or happy) Krabi mitsu customers...can I be the only one that feels let down? if so, do u reckon I should just go with the flow & take all this on the chin? shame really as I believe nothing will ever improve unless we speak up and spread the word...?

I should add that the black soot problem seems to have solved 'itself', I checked again today and the exhaust output is now clean so maybe it just needed a 'blow out' as our friend suggested earlier.

BTW, the lady behind the desk at mitsu tells me they have had lots of complaints re the plate situation but (as yet) we've had no input or comments from any other disgruntled (or happy) Krabi mitsu customers...can I be the only one that feels let down? if so, do u reckon I should just go with the flow & take all this on the chin? shame really as I believe nothing will ever improve unless we speak up and spread the word...?

When rides are parked up, unused the exhaust boxes do get lots of condensation, water build up/collection, so, you start up and the pressure pushes the water out mixed with the exhaust stuff, so crap on the drive way. Use the car and it will disappear but if not then............................. :)

I got the elusive red plates today :clap2:..3rd time lucky I guess (as i was promised twice before without success), paid my 3k baht deposit for 'em and was given a certificate to prove their authenticity..

All good stuff until I asked mitsu to sort out the juddering windscreen wiper that has been driving me bonkers. Smiles all round as they announced the blade was 'no good' (suggesting it was my fault for parking it in the sun) and replaced the pair with new ones..then promptly presented me with a bill for 300 baht :annoyed: I could hardly talk for laughing as my wife explained it's only just over 2 weeks old but they insist they're 'not covered by the warranty" needless to say i refused to pay, if I'd known they would charge I would have upgraded the blades to the real decent ones now on the market. The staff looked a bit put out for a time but decided to drop the charge eventually! This place really is unbelievable..I'm not looking forward to the 10000k service :(

Can't believe it, the windscreen wiper juddering is back..dam_n annoying noise never experienced b4 except on older motors (the windscreen has been thoroughly cleaned to remove any poss contamination) which leads me to think the 'new' blades mitsu tried to charge me for were not new at all..or could it be the wiper arm itself? strange tho as we've had lots of rain lately and the wipers worked great (& v quiet) for the first 10 days). I'm sure if/when I go back to the dealer they will tell me this is normal for a truck of this age :rolleyes:

Better to go back and tell the dealer the windscreen is faulty :D.

Nice one..makes me wonder tho if this particular motor was stored in a hot sunny compound for a long time, ah well, we'll see what the 'experts' have to say at the Krabi mitsu dealer..I'm already resigned to the fact that I will have to replace them myself but my point is...why should i be in this situation with a 3 week old truck?

• 2 weeks later...

So, how are things with the Triton now? I just recently had to change my wiper rubbers, but they had been a bit noisy for a while. Seems that one had dried out and cracked in two. Now after a few months the new ones still sound nice and quiet and even operate on a dry windsreen without any noise. I think the original set lasted about two years before getting too noisy. By the way, do you have the new engine with the 179 hp? If so, what do you think of it? I was pleased with my older one with the 140hp but now, just because there is a newer version, I think I need the extra power!

Hiya Jack, the Triton is a great motor thx, I spent ages checking out the 'competition' over a few months and even had the benefit of driving my mates brand new Vigo for a week or so but finally decided on the nicer styling (imo) of the mitsu.

In fact I'm still storing the Vigo for my mate and run it every week, the Toyota is certainly smoother and more powerful with it's 179hp (I think) engine than my 140hp but, for me anyway, the nicer looks of the Triton easily compensate for this. I agree the extra power feels good to drive and really felt the difference 'tween the mitsu and my previous 116hp Isuzu so I reckoned the 140hp was a good compromise.

Yea, the wiper blades are still a pain and one is as noisy as hell, just inferior quality i guess so I'll be changing them v soon..no point in asking the idiots at the Krabi main dealer to do anything as they've already denied any responsibility.

Hiya Jack, the Triton is a great motor thx, I spent ages checking out the 'competition' over a few months and even had the benefit of driving my mates brand new Vigo for a week or so but finally decided on the nicer styling (imo) of the mitsu.

In fact I'm still storing the Vigo for my mate and run it every week, the Toyota is certainly smoother and more powerful with it's 179hp (I think) engine than my 140hp but, for me anyway, the nicer looks of the Triton easily compensate for this. I agree the extra power feels good to drive and really felt the difference 'tween the mitsu and my previous 116hp Isuzu so I reckoned the 140hp was a good compromise.

Yea, the wiper blades are still a pain and one is as noisy as hell, just inferior quality i guess so I'll be changing them v soon..no point in asking the idiots at the Krabi main dealer to do anything as they've already denied any responsibility.

I bought silicone wipers in Tesco's, just to see if they were more heat tolerant, and yes, quiet and no hardening, only downside is they are white. :bah:. Look cool if the motor was white. :)

Good info, thx Trans, I'll look out for these altho my motor is dark grey so def have to be black. Are these the ones with the big blades? Ironic really 'cos I just fitted some onto my Dmax before I decided to change trucks.

Edited by rayinkrabi

Good info, thx Trans, I'll look out for these altho my motor is dark grey so def have to be black. Are these the ones with the big blades? Ironic really 'cos I just fitted some onto my Dmax before I decided to change trucks.

No, not big, same as original blades but so far can cope with heat. :)

I've done over 2500 km now, not all so 'gently' and I've used the shell v power fuel sometimes and the bl**dy truck still often spews black <deleted> spots onto my patio floor when started.

My wife had a long chat with the mitsu salesman yesterday who insists this is normal & suggests it is my driving style at fault, he also pointed out that the exaust outlet is 'lower' than on most motors! ??? arghhh (bearing in mind this is the high triton plus model) :rolleyes: TiT

Ray with only the small amount of km you have on your vehicle shouldn't be any problem's just as a thought does it happen all the time when you park over night or when you or your wife wash the vehicle maybe spraying water up the exhaust then starting next morning will blow all the wet crap out.

Ray with only the small amount of km you have on your vehicle shouldn't be any problem's just as a thought does it happen all the time when you park over night or when you or your wife wash the vehicle maybe spraying water up the exhaust then starting next morning will blow all the wet crap out.

Good point John, I've been wondering this myself as the problem only happens now & then (altho not just after washing or driving in rain)..maybe even a condensation build up?

Still seems odd to me that I haven't had this before in over 37 yrs of motoring..

Good point John, I've been wondering this myself as the problem only happens now & then (altho not just after washing or driving in rain)..maybe even a condensation build up?

Still seems odd to me that I haven't had this before in over 37 yrs of motoring..

Think l mentioned before about condensation in the rear box. Have you noticed when a box rusts out and falls apart, it's from the inside out, it's the water build up inside on some exhaust designs. You start up and it blows it out. If you do short runs you might not be clearing it out. :)

Yep, thx Trans, this has to be the answer and it's the same conclusion that I reached earlier today so I've decided 2 things, re-tile my patio in slate grey colour and to park my motor overnight on a 45 degree angle :D

On a poss note, I called into mitsu again today as my rear light cluster was very wet...inside! to their credit they replaced the unit within 15 minutes.

On a neg note, i mentioned to the mitsu 'salesman' that i checked my tyre pressures following the 1000km service there and found all 4 had a whacking 47 psi instead of the 29 (front)...he just shrugged & smiled!

Edited by rayinkrabi