Egg Poaching Pan

Just got back from Penang and as I drove down to the border I decided to stock up on the things that are hard or expensive here on Samui. I found Heinz baked beans for 30 baht a tin against the 148 the last time I saw some in coco villa. I used to enjoy beans on toast with some nice soft poached eggs on top. I had a quick look around yesterday for a pan but no look. Has anybody seen one of the poaching pans that has the 4 egg poaching plate inside the pan ? :huh:

Cheers guy's :D

You probably know this but you can poach them in a pan of simmering water, not a full boil. Drop them in one at a time and use a ladle to scoop them out. Or in a custard dish with some butter in the bottom in a micro wave and a little water on the top, use a low setting and watch as they can explode.

I tried the 75 on the way to the bar this afternoon and no have. :angry:

I have tried the dropping the egg into boiling water a few times but they never turn out as good as the ones out of the proper pans. :huh:

As said I have boxes of beans now to enjoy, I just need to track down the pan and it's happy days :D

You can use a rice cooker to do it, you just need some small saucers or sauce dishes big enough to hold an egg. If you want to do a bunch, those pans they use to steam cook salapaos (sp?) will also do it. Grease the dishes first to make removal easier.

Boksida Hi, Yes I know I can do then in a variety of ways without the pan but as said they never come out the way they do in the proper pan hence the reason I would like a proper pan ;)

Anybody ? :huh:

never seen one but what I use is one of those metalic ring things that keep the shape of the egg (normally used for frying). failing that swirl your water prior to put the egg in the middle of the pan.

Edited by bkkjames

You probably know this but you can poach them in a pan of simmering water, not a full boil. Drop them in one at a time and use a ladle to scoop them out. Or in a custard dish with some butter in the bottom in a micro wave and a little water on the top, use a low setting and watch as they can explode.

Thought that only game - wildlife can be poached... :lol:

However...

VERY IMPORTANT is to add a couple of teaspoons of Vinegar to the simmering water first!

Do NOT add Salt this will soften the eggwhite and it will dissolve in the water...

simmering: 160 to 180ºF (71-82ºC). Do not drop the egg into boiling water (212ºF or 100ºC) As a rule of thumb, bring the water to a boil, then reduce it to a simmer before cooking. To obtain the correct temperature, spin the boiling water with a spoon to cool down the water before you drop in the egg.

Thought that only game - wildlife can be poached... :lol:

However...

VERY IMPORTANT is to add a couple of teaspoons of Vinegar to the simmering water first!

Do NOT add Salt this will soften the eggwhite and it will dissolve in the water...

simmering: 160 to 180ºF (71-82ºC). Do not drop the egg into boiling water (212ºF or 100ºC) As a rule of thumb, bring the water to a boil, then reduce it to a simmer before cooking. To obtain the correct temperature, spin the boiling water with a spoon to cool down the water before you drop in the egg.

good point, forgot the vinegar and yes put your egg in a little bowl for transfer to the water. getting hungry now!

Please people.

Just which part of this post asking where I can buy a PROPER pan and not suggestions on how to cook them without the pan are you all having difficulty understanding ? :o

As said already I know I can add some vinegar and to swirl them etc etc etc. I don't want to do ant other way of cooking a poached egg other than cracking it into a proper pan and putting the lid on it. Thank you :thumbsup:

:sorry:

Please people.

Just which part of this post asking where I can buy a PROPER pan and not suggestions on how to cook them without the pan are you all having difficulty understanding ? :o

As said already I know I can add some vinegar and to swirl them etc etc etc. I don't want to do ant other way of cooking a poached egg other than cracking it into a proper pan and putting the lid on it. Thank you :thumbsup:

Alright then_ I will ask a mod to remove my post and politely suggest you use google for your shopping requests :lol:

Ok my Mrs went on a bit of a mission looking for exactly what your looking for and

unfortunately could not find one in samui, she ended up getting friends

visiting us to bring one from the UK.

However I am travelling to Luala Lumpur for the F1 and return 11 th April, I always end up mooching the shops for

goodies I can't find here, if your not sorted out by the start of April let me know and i'll look for one there for ya.

Edited by starcandle

Did you have a look in Nathon, the shop in the middle road about half way down, very near that 7/11 ?

You also have a kitchen shop, next to Samui mart.

Please people.

Alright then_ I will ask a mod to remove my post and politely suggest you use google for your shopping requests :lol:

Oh dear another upset TV witout a sense of humour. Ask away my friend ask away. The mods name is ROO. I'm sure as you are so upset he will oblige. :blink:

If I wanted to find out how to cook poached eggs without said pan I would have posted one asking the very thing.

Cheers Poorsucker. it seems there aren't any on Samui so will have to get one either brought over or sent.

Mai Pen Rai :D

Roo yes checked the hotel supply shop in Nathon, Tesco, Makro Coco villa, big C and Homepro :o

Here you go- Good old Delia Smith never fails. :whistling:

How to poach an egg:

poach-eggs-01-19139.jpg

1. This method is not at all frightening or hazardous, but bear in mind that for successful poaching the eggs have to be really fresh – less than four days old. The key to a well-poached egg is to keep the water at a bare simmer throughout the cooking. Place a suitably sized frying panmag-glass_10x10.gif over a gentle heat and add enough boiling water from the kettle to fill it to 1 inch (2.5 cm). Keep the heat gentle, and very quickly you will see the merest trace of tiny bubbles beginning to form over the base of the pan.

poach-eggs-02-19140.jpg

2. Now carefully break the eggs, one at a time, into the water and let them barely simmer, without covering, for just 1 minute. A timer is essential here because you cannot guess how long 1 minute is.

poach-eggs-03-19141.jpg

3. After that, remove the pan from the heat and let the eggs sit calmly and happily in the hot watermag-glass_10x10.gif, this time setting the timer for 10 minutes. This timing will give perfect results for a beautifully translucent, perfectly set white and a soft, creamy yolk

poach-eggs-04-19142.jpg

4. Now remove each egg by lifting it out of the water with a draining spoon and then letting the spoon rest for a few seconds on a wodge of kitchen paper, which will absorb the excess water. As you remove the eggs, serve them straight away

Edited by samui543

Please people.

Oh dear another upset TV witout a sense of humour. Ask away my friend ask away. The mods name is ROO. I'm sure as you are so upset he will oblige. :blink:

If I wanted to find out how to cook poached eggs without said pan I would have posted one asking the very thing.

Cheers Poorsucker. it seems there aren't any on Samui so will have to get one either brought over or sent.

Roo yes checked the hotel supply shop in Nathon, Tesco, Makro Coco villa, big C and Homepro :o

I have a sense of humour - just ask fellow samuian Mr. SMokie the penquin. I found one of your pans here in Bangkok at Verasu on Wireless Road. Do you want me to make a special trip over there for you this minute and send you one down to Samui on the next BK air flight? :blink:

Boksida Hi, Yes I know I can do then in a variety of ways without the pan but as said they never come out the way they do in the proper pan hence the reason I would like a proper pan ;)

Anybody ? :huh:

My apologies - I thought you were looking for a pan like this:

post-42103-0-55253000-1300091145_thumb.j

The electric or gas rice cooker does exactly the same thing except they are readily available in Thailand. No vinegar, no stirring, just crack the egg in the bowl and put the lid on.

post-42103-0-96903700-1300092590_thumb.j post-42103-0-46913900-1300092654_thumb.j

They do have them at emporium . I saw one two weeks ago

I tried the 75 on the way to the bar this afternoon and no have. :angry:

I have tried the dropping the egg into boiling water a few times but they never turn out as good as the ones out of the proper pans. :huh:

As said I have boxes of beans now to enjoy, I just need to track down the pan and it's happy days :D

Please people.

I have a sense of humour - just ask fellow samuian Mr. SMokie the penquin. I found one of your pans here in Bangkok at Verasu on Wireless Road. Do you want me to make a special trip over there for you this minute and send you one down to Samui on the next BK air flight? :blink:

This is hilarious, keep it up I can't stop laughing,

Please people.

Yes, Lazy git - use Google !

A pan like this:-

(I brought one over from England - the missus hated it because it was 'regimental' - 5 minutes for a perfect 'manufactured' poached egg. Third attempt resulted in cooking 3 of the 4 plastic cups because of lack of water ! :o

Note - you don't need vinegar for just one egg (it keeps eggs apart)

post-108506-0-68559400-1300204999_thumb.

Edited by cardholder

Please people.

its ok folks or yolks, pan for the baked beans located and method. http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-baked-beans-on-toast all we need now as OP asked is a device that can do the poached eggs.

Yes, Lazy git - use Google !

A pan like this:-

(I brought one over from England - the missus hated it because it was 'regimental' - 5 minutes for a perfect 'manufactured' poached egg. Third attempt resulted in cooking 3 of the 4 plastic cups because of lack of water ! :o

Note - you don't need vinegar for just one egg (it keeps eggs apart)

its ok folks or yolks, pan for the baked beans located and method. http://www.videojug....-beans-on-toast all we need now as OP asked is a device that can do the poached eggs.

yep, thanks for that. extremely helpful to many on here methinks.

i do fear for the search for an egg poacher though. :o

PM sent with both temporary and permanent solution to this awful dilemma. :D

becarefull i herd that poaching was illegal well in some places maybe you'll be alright over here. happy poaching :D

Apparenlty eggs are good for protein which gives u strength for the hunt

try as I might cannot think of anything droll to write.....I usually cook poached eggs in the shell and use a shot glass as an egg cup...

..I have seen 'em in Langkawi ferry terminal china/kitchen shop...great store lots of nice kitchenware, flatware, china,glasses etc

a tip..try and find one with plastic dishes in it..don't stick so bad as stainless or aluminum and don't burn you fingers...well maybe a bit from the steam coming out the tray holes...

good luck...