Engineering Institute Urges Thai Govt To Take Heed Of Earthquake In Japan

webfact

Engineering Institute Urges Govt to Take Heed of Earthquake in Japan

The Engineering Institute of Thailand is suggesting that the government closely study the earthquake that hit Japan to devise measures to cope with possible seismic activity in Thailand.

Seismologists from the Engineering Institute of Thailand held a press briefing on the massive 9.0-Richter earthquake that recently devastated Japan, and suggested that Thailand devise measures to handle possible similar tremors.

One of the experts and head of the Engineering Institute's Earthquake and Wind Department noted that seismic activity in Japan was severe because Japan is situated on a three-way split of tectonic plates.

Nonetheless, he assured that such severe quakes are highly unlikely in Thailand, since tremors in Thailand are caused by rifts and measure in and around 5 to 7 on the Richter scale.

Areas prone to tremors include Kanchanaburi, Lampang, Nan, Chiang Mai, and Tak provinces.

Therefore, the Engineering Institute suggested that Thailand address earthquake issues in construction projects and quake-proof existing high-rise buildings in risky areas.

Meanwhile, Chulalongkorn University's Civil Engineering Faculty Assistant Professor Dr. Anat Ruangrasamee asserted that based on the tsunami waves that struck Sendai Japan, it could reach Thai waters, but will be too weak to cause any damage on its coasts.

According to studies, if tsunami waves are triggered in the Gulf of Thailand, the Philippines will be severely hit by dangerous waves due to its location along tectonic plates, while it could take more than 10 hours for the waves to travel to Thai coasts, given its favorable ocean floor terrain.

However, if tsunamis are triggered in the Andaman Sea, Thai shores are likely to be severely affected.

Sirindhorn International Institute of Technology's Associate Professor Dr. Amorn Pimanmas suggested that the government consider quake-proof measures in construction projects, in order to ensure public safety.

Although the Engineering Institute had already proposed earthquake measures to the government before, it is urging the government to study the recent earthquake in Japan so that Thailand can devise and adopt appropriate measures to handle possible earthquakes in the country.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-03-14

footer_n.gif

This guy must be out of touch with the Building Regulations in Thailand.

When we built Suvarnabhumi Airport the seismic codes applicable to the area were used. (Can't remember, but I think we were a category 1 site) (Done too many to remember any particular site).

The entire globe is categorised for earthquake probabilities - both frequency and magnitude. And anyone who knows anything about construction or seismology would know this - so either the reporter messed up or the guy himself is a fruit-cake.

Edit:

This map may help - not sure of access, though.

https://geohazards.usgs.gov/secure/designmaps/ww/application.php

Edited by Humphrey Bear

Meanwhile, Chulalongkorn University's Civil Engineering Faculty Assistant Professor Dr. Anat Ruangrasamee asserted that based on the tsunami waves that struck Sendai Japan, it could reach Thai waters, but will be too weak to cause any damage on its coasts.

Another expert talking through his arse.

The tsunami seldom goes round corners - and it would have to go round several corners to reach any part of Thailand.

The quake was approx. 90km off the Japanese coast. The most likely effect, as shown over the weekend on various news programmes, was for the initial surge to be reinforced out to sea by the reflected surge from the wave hitting the mainland shallows. The main force therefore went off towards Columbia/Peru area, by which time the force had largely dissipated. I understand that there was a 30cm (one foot) wave around the California coast, probably quite a bit more in Hawaii and Guam. But I don't have figures.

But nowt in Thailand. Who appoints these pillocks to teach the kids all this nonsense?

The tsunami seldom goes round corners - and it would have to go round several corners to reach any part of Thailand.

The quake was approx. 90km off the Japanese coast. The most likely effect, as shown over the weekend on various news programmes, was for the initial surge to be reinforced out to sea by the reflected surge from the wave hitting the mainland shallows. The main force therefore went off towards Columbia/Peru area, by which time the force had largely dissipated. I understand that there was a 30cm (one foot) wave around the California coast, probably quite a bit more in Hawaii and Guam. But I don't have figures.

But nowt in Thailand. Who appoints these pillocks to teach the kids all this nonsense?

The journo of this article is a real idiot:

"According to studies, if tsunami waves are triggered in the Gulf of Thailand, the Philippines will be severely hit by dangerous waves due to its location along tectonic plates, while it could take more than 10 hours for the waves to travel to Thai coasts, given its favorable ocean floor terrain"

First, if the wave are triggered in the Gulf of Thailand then it aint going to take 10 hours to get to Thailand. It is here already!!! If the said wave generated in Gulf of Thailand goes all the way to Philippines then what the hell does this have to do with the Philippines being on the ring of fire fault line. Nothing. So it have nothing to do with how severely Philippines could or would be hit!

Basically TAN Network is full of idiots.

Thailand has ONE huge danger which every Bangkok resident, Thai and farang should fear. Liquification.

There were videos of water spurting up out of the ground in Tokyo 250 km away from the earthquake. A 9 earthquake under Bangkok would result in the entire plains area from Chonburi to Petchaburi to Nakornsawan turning into porridge like water. Every single building would sink. Only select sky scrapers with very deep piling would be visible.

Edited by jayjayjayjay

But you have to understand the expert in question is only an Assistant Professor...not a real one....:rolleyes:

And yes he is talking out of his bottom...

This guy must be out of touch with the Building Regulations in Thailand.

When we built Suvarnabhumi Airport the seismic codes applicable to the area were used. (Can't remember, but I think we were a category 1 site) (Done too many to remember any particular site).

The entire globe is categorised for earthquake probabilities - both frequency and magnitude. And anyone who knows anything about construction or seismology would know this - so either the reporter messed up or the guy himself is a fruit-cake.

Edit:

This map may help - not sure of access, though.

https://geohazards.u...application.php

Or C: All of the above

Living at the coast, Pattaya, I am wondering what earthquake experts know about the history of great tsunamis in the region. Apparently, experts know about great tsunamis in the pacific going back many hundreds of years from the soil records.

Who fawked up western countries, Thais or Farangs ?

Ah but but that's not the topic being commented on is it ?, and if it was I am sure most of the esteemed TV members would agree with you that it wasn't the Thai's and those responsible would be getting a slagging as well..:rolleyes:

And dont see any remarks slagging Thai people per se.....they are slagging off a so-called "Expert" who happens to be an Associate Professor who appears to be making comments while his mouth was not connected to his brain...:whistling:

Living at the coast, Pattaya, I am wondering what earthquake experts know about the history of great tsunamis in the region. Apparently, experts know about great tsunamis in the pacific going back many hundreds of years from the soil records.

I have never seen any mention of studies of tsunamis in Pattaya, which is not really surprising since the coast faces mostly west and south . This means that the tsunami would need to originate in Thailand. While there can be some deflection of energy, tsunamis do not go around corners.

The only seismic risk area which is frequently mentioned in Thailand is the Three Pagodas Fault in Kanchanaburi. There is a reasonable possibility of an earthquake there in the range of up to 6.5 or 7.0, and it's been centuires since there has been any problem there.

However, a 6.0 in Kanchanaburi would be sufficient to cause considerable liquefaction and consequent damage in Bangkok. There was a movement to do some planning around this possibility in 2007, but nothing was done.

Edited by tigermonkey

The journo of this article is a real idiot:

"According to studies, if tsunami waves are triggered in the Gulf of Thailand, the Philippines will be severely hit by dangerous waves due to its location along tectonic plates, while it could take more than 10 hours for the waves to travel to Thai coasts, given its favorable ocean floor terrain"

First, if the wave are triggered in the Gulf of Thailand then it aint going to take 10 hours to get to Thailand. It is here already!!! If the said wave generated in Gulf of Thailand goes all the way to Philippines then what the hell does this have to do with the Philippines being on the ring of fire fault line. Nothing. So it have nothing to do with how severely Philippines could or would be hit!

Basically TAN Network is full of idiots.

As I understand it Earthquakes do not necessarily cause Tsunamis especially at the epicenter of the quake. It is basically the opening/shifting of mass land on the ocean floor. I believe what he is saying is the Gulf of Thailand has a floor that is not prone to opening and cracking in such a way and is also of a composition that will slow an a Tsunami.. An earthquake in the Gulf could trigger ruptures in other areas of the ocean floor creating a Tsunami just as the earth can open up cracks far away from the epicenter of a land earthquake.

The Gulf of Thailand is also very shallow and Tsunamis slow down incredibly as they near land and get into shallow water. This is the reason the waves get so big at the coast. The initial wave generated by a Tsunami is rather small but travels very fast until it gets into shallow water.

I'm not saying this guy is dead on right about everything but I see no reason to disbelieve this group and if something is not making sense I would tend to look at translations problems and not question their knowledge .. especially putting it below that of anonymous sources on an internet forum.

Edited by Nisa

Some of the responses are very odd given this is a person/group suggesting that large buildings be built better and/or retrofitted to withstand possible quakes.

Of course when there are safety issues regarding buildings the same posters will come out and talk about the lack of building codes and enforcement in Thailand ... yet when Thais suggests improvements, they call them idiots.

Edited by Nisa

As I understand it Earthquakes do not necessarily cause Tsunamis especially at the epicenter of the quake. It is basically the opening/shifting of mass land on the ocean floor. I believe what he is saying is the Gulf of Thailand has a floor that is not prone to opening and cracking in such a way and is also of a composition that will slow an a Tsunami.. An earthquake in the Gulf could trigger ruptures in other areas of the ocean floor creating a Tsunami just as the earth can open up cracks far away from the epicenter of a land earthquake.

The Gulf of Thailand is also very shallow and Tsunamis slow down incredibly as they near land and get into shallow water. This is the reason the waves get so big at the coast. The initial wave generated by a Tsunami is rather small but travels very fast until it gets into shallow water.

I'm not saying this guy is dead on right about everything but I see no reason to disbelieve this group and if something is not making sense I would tend to look at translations problems and not question their knowledge .. especially putting it below that of anonymous sources on an internet forum.

Given that it is the opening/shifting of mass land that IS the earthquake, then earthquakes cause tsunamis.

What is the chance of a quake in the gulf? What is the chance of movement in the gulf if there are earthquakes in other earthquake prone areas (ie Indonesia, Kanchanaburi, Laos)? I would say VERY low.

There is no point having building standards for magnitude 9 earthquakes in Bangkok or in other places that are not quake prone.

Given that it is the opening/shifting of mass land that IS the earthquake, then earthquakes cause tsunamis.

What is the chance of a quake in the gulf? What is the chance of movement in the gulf if there are earthquakes in other earthquake prone areas (ie Indonesia, Kanchanaburi, Laos)? I would say VERY low.

There is no point having building standards for magnitude 9 earthquakes in Bangkok or in other places that are not quake prone.

Earthquakes are not the sole cause of Tsunamis and every earthquake in the sea doesn't produce a Tsunami and an earthquake in the sea can produce a Tsunami other than at the epicenter of the quake.

There is no place on this earth where large earthquakes cannot occur. The engineer was not calling for 9.0 standards and was actually down playing the need for any real investment in a Tsunami in the Gulf.

Again, nothing wrong with being safe and building stronger buildings, especially in the areas of Thailand were faults are known to exist. A little investment and education would have probably saved 100,000 lives in the 2004 Tsunami.