Installing Bum Gun In Usa

farang000999

TFitting-1.jpg

So this one controls the flow of water to both the sprayer and the toilet or only the sprayer?

HAcv-2T.jpg

And this one prevents stagnant water from contaminating the water supply?

Thanks

Not sure if your replying to me but.......

No actually those two pics are both the valve that attaches to the T off the toilet water supply

They only send one & I got this one the 2nd one in your post

HAcv-2T.jpg

The end with the blue badge is the control & you rotate it to tune the pressure

The first valve off the toilet is mentioned by sanicare for safety because pressure can be too high from some supply lines & could hurt you that way.

As for the safety of stagnant water it is a misnomer as spoken of here.

Supply lines to a toilet never come in contact with bowl water in modern western toilets

The hose has no possibility of back siphoning water from your bowl because you do not hang the hand held bidet in the toilet you hang it on the wall in its holster

handbidetholdersmall-02.jpg

Lastly you asked if that first valve controls pressure to both the toilet & the sprayer

The answer is the valve in no way affects flow to the toilet as it is out of line on its own T

Yes it does control pressure to the sprayer

But.....The sprayer has yet another control to fine tune it even further

that would be this one which is attached to the sprayer handle between the handle & hose

inlinecvsmall-02.jpg

Excellent product

Edited by flying

I would never go back to using just toilet paper again.

When I was in India last year the hotel I stayed at in Delhi had a setup I'd never seen before. It was a nozzle that was placed at the rear of the toilet seat, built into it actually, with a tap on the wall next to the cistern. When you're finished your business you simply turn the tap on and water gushes out - look Mum, no hands!

This is actually better than a bum gun as nothing can get on the floor, everything falls into the bowl. Plus no hands! Never seen them anywhere else, but I hear they also have them in China and Japan.

When I was in India last year the hotel I stayed at in Delhi had a setup I'd never seen before. It was a nozzle that was placed at the rear of the toilet seat, built into it actually, with a tap on the wall next to the cistern. When you're finished your business you simply turn the tap on and water gushes out - look Mum, no hands!

This is actually better than a bum gun as nothing can get on the floor, everything falls into the bowl. Plus no hands! Never seen them anywhere else, but I hear they also have them in China and Japan.

Actually they have been available in the USA for quite awhile now.

Some high end models like Kohler have inline heaters to warm the water...pricey of course as are most of Kohler products ;)

http://www.amazon.com/KOHLER-K-4709-0-C3-200-Elongated-Functionality/dp/B000RNL4Y6

71hm3WXRI%2BL._AA1500_.jpg

Non heated types are about a tenth price wise

http://www.amazon.com/Brondell-S100-EW-Ecoseat-Elongated-Toilet/dp/tags-

There is also a heated non electric for a low price....(plumbs to your hot & cold water line

http://www.amazon.com/Bio-BB-i3000-Washlet-Personal-Hygiene/dp/B00104KJJ2

They look ok but for me a hand held is better as I would worry about the sprayer unit being in the toilet & subject to getting ....splashed with waste

:rolleyes:

Which I would guess is why a normal bidet bowl is a separate unit from a toilet

Edited by flying

Actually they have been available in the USA for quite awhile now.

Some high end models like Kohler have inline heaters to warm the water...pricey of course as are most of Kohler products ;)

http://www.amazon.com/KOHLER-K-4709-0-C3-200-Elongated-Functionality/dp/B000RNL4Y6

71hm3WXRI%2BL._AA1500_.jpg

Non heated types are about a tenth price wise

http://www.amazon.com/Brondell-S100-EW-Ecoseat-Elongated-Toilet/dp/tags-

There is also a heated non electric for a low price....(plumbs to your hot & cold water line

http://www.amazon.com/Bio-BB-i3000-Washlet-Personal-Hygiene/dp/B00104KJJ2

They look ok but for me a hand held is better as I would worry about the sprayer unit being in the toilet & subject to getting ....splashed with waste

:rolleyes:

Which I would guess is why a normal bidet bowl is a separate unit from a toilet

That's a different one. As the name states, "Elongated Toilet Seat with Bidet Functionality". It is elongated, extending down into the bowl, whereas the one I used in Delhi is so built that it doesn't elongate into the bowl but remains level with the seat, not extending further out. It took a day or two before I noticed it was even there. So no possibility of getting "splashed with waste", anymore than a regular seat would.

That's a different one. As the name states, "Elongated Toilet Seat with Bidet Functionality". It is elongated, extending down into the bowl, whereas the one I used in Delhi is so built that it doesn't elongate into the bowl but remains level with the seat, not extending further out. It took a day or two before I noticed it was even there. So no possibility of getting "splashed with waste", anymore than a regular seat would.

Yes you know now that you mention it & looking at the pic & that fancy remote......I wouldn't be surprised if that spray bar didn't retract or fold out of the way.

Tap water in Denver was cold enough to cause buttons to break when washing shirts..

Easy solution - plumb the bum gun into the hot water supply :o

Simon

Steamed buns are usually preferable to cold buns. :whistling:

I looked into this, and you can do it pretty easily yourself, but a plumber can't do it, at least where I live, as it is against code. It has something to do with back pressure, safety valves, and I really don't know what else.

Yes that is correct. Because the bum wash end is effectively an open end. The theory is that it could be left in stagnant/ contaminated water, which could syphon back into the main and contaminate it. Which I have always disagreed with, as you would have the syphon pressure of practically zero, trying to take the contaminated water back, against a mains pressure. In the UK of anything from 30 to 80 lb per sq inch. Not going to happen. But guess what HSE. So you have to fit an anti vacuum valve/ non return.

Just another piece of useless information.

jb1

Just to add of course mains water in the UK is also drinking water.

Do you mean they think you will leave the shooting end in the toilet bowl? If it is like in Thailand, the thing hangs up outside the bowl.

And what is the difference between one in the bathroom and one by your kitchen sink?

I know you wrote you disagree, but I still wonder what their problem is on this (writing as a man with a Thai bum gun sitting in his bathroom closet back in the US).

It can and has happened and caused numerous related illnesses and deaths to masses of people in some communities it's not just a knee jerk reaction. The scenarios for this happening are far and wide ranging and too many to fully explain but say for example that yes, someones adventurous child had played with and left the bum gun in a toilet and then for whatever reason the water pressure dropped in the system for any length of time it then becomes a back siphon and sucks this contaminated water back through the system and can spread disease from there far and wide once water is pumping again, similar scenarios have occurred so this is not far fetched..

It is one of many reasons we ALWAYS boil our drinking water here at hoke or use only bottled water outside given the careless and indiscreet manner in which the bum gun is handled here and then left in the cistern next to the toilet to refill it combined with the numerous water cut offs here it's incredible there has not been a wholesale intestinal catastrophe here yet that has been publicized anyway (yet)....

Thank you warpspeed. If anyone thinks that is incorrect, May I suggest that you google the UK water regs?

Also the treaded ends of fittings here are standard BSP 1/2", 3/4", 1" etc.

I am pretty sure pipe fittings in Thailand are metric sizes.........

Will they match in the US?

I think you'll find that all plumbing threads worldwide are imperial. I live in Greece (totally metricated), but for some bizarre reason plumbing pipework is in inches. I brought a couple of bum guns back here with me, and the threads were compatible. Half inch, if I recollect.

Once you get used to the Asian way, using paper to wipe your bum just isn't acceptable. I really can't understand why westerners still cling to such a disgusting habit. :bah:

I first started using water in India in '67 (no paper available in most loos, just an aluminium teapot shaped affair and a tap to fill it), and have never been able to go back to paper since.

I first came across that system in Istanbul, Turkey in 1969, so they've been around for quite a while. Not nearly as sophisticated as the ones flying posted pics of, though! :D