Toyota Discrimination Policy

I don't get this thread.

According to the average Thai basher, all Thai's are money grubbing scammers out to screw farangs at every opportunity.

Here we see a Thai car salesman turn down a sale. Who knows, maybe he was a Cambodian salesman, cause we know that we all know that conventional TV wisdom states that one should never stand between a Thai and a bucket of money.

For what it is worth, I think the Toyota finance company was within its rights. This transaction was higher risk for them. Regardless of who the official borrower was, and regardless of a 'no questions asked policy' it was apparent to them that the ultimate source of the funding was a in their eyes a higher risk of flight - leaving them with a devalued asset.

Just because the word 'farang' was used in the conversation all of a sudden cries of 'discrimination' get thrown around. It wasn't. This is the furtherst thing from discrimination.

I can see that you do not 'get this' thread. Not quite sure why you are being slow-witted but let's repeat:-

1. The salesman didn't turn down a sale - we chose not to buy.

2. I believe the salesperson was simply following a script (she may have acted unilaterally but I doubt it).

3. You understand nothing of risk - especially relating to this transaction.

4. You are presumptuous, ill-informed and insulting to suggest that there was a higher risk to this transaction. There were no issues with credit being available. My partner can evidence sufficient capital.ssets and income to satisfy any criteria. That is irrespective of what additional value that I can add - that is not the issue, I don't feature in this other than creating a 'penalty' where the deposit criteria is concerned.

5. Not sure where your brain came to the conclusion that "it was apparent to the..." - how arrogant - I doubt you have the sixth sense to second guess what they had not first-guessed.

6. Your last sentence sums up why you do not get this thread. You really are thick or have not read the core issue - it is about a Thai being discriminated against The reason is almost irrelevant but in this case it was for the offence of having a Farang partner. I suspect, samran, that even you can deduce that had she walked in alone the 'extra' deposit would not have been mentioned.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then, then, go back to the 20% showroom and buy the motor you really want. :)

transam - I have 'gone off' Toyotas :).

I actually like the Ford Ranger and several acquaintances have spoken highly of their experiences with Ford.

For the savings I am making I am happy to give it a go. As for anyone worried about selling to a Thai in the future, I shall probably run it for 4/5 years and then give it to someone in the family - I am certain that they will not lose face and certainly will not give a dam_n about it not being a Toyota.

Then, then, go back to the 20% showroom and buy the motor you really want. :)

I actually like the Ford Ranger and several acquaintances have spoken highly of their experiences with Ford.

For the savings I am making I am happy to give it a go. As for anyone worried about selling to a Thai in the future, I shall probably run it for 4/5 years and then give it to someone in the family - I am certain that they will not lose face and certainly will not give a dam_n about it not being a Toyota.

In that case, cool, great stuff. Glad it worked out for you in the end. :)

I don't get this thread.

According to the average Thai basher, all Thai's are money grubbing scammers out to screw farangs at every opportunity.

Here we see a Thai car salesman turn down a sale. Who knows, maybe he was a Cambodian salesman, cause we know that we all know that conventional TV wisdom states that one should never stand between a Thai and a bucket of money.

For what it is worth, I think the Toyota finance company was within its rights. This transaction was higher risk for them. Regardless of who the official borrower was, and regardless of a 'no questions asked policy' it was apparent to them that the ultimate source of the funding was a in their eyes a higher risk of flight - leaving them with a devalued asset.

Just because the word 'farang' was used in the conversation all of a sudden cries of 'discrimination' get thrown around. It wasn't. This is the furtherst thing from discrimination.

Possibly the salesgirl did not like Farangs!

Ka ching!!!! Or was jilted by her fair share of falangs who wouldn't buy her a new Vigo and due to her loss of face was envious :lol: ..

Edited by WarpSpeed

I don't get this thread.

Ka ching!!!! Or was jilted by her fair share of falangs who wouldn't buy her a new Vigo and due to her loss of face was envious :lol: ..

Bit worried by your new avatar Warps. :huh:

Nah I'm privileged to be the first to display it. That young man was a gentle giant that displayed great patience and tolerance with the punk who continued to instigate and bully until.......................

There's a lesson to be learned for both the young and supposedly mature adults in that..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, disappointing.

But, hope it just wasn't this individual sales guy working something. ;)

Yep, my hunch is the same as the T, just a self absorbed salesman making up his own rules.

I once had an issue with BKK Bank, I was told by the clerk that opened the account for me that I had to have a retirement visa to qualify for Online Banking. I thought she was being unreasonable but I didn't argue since I was also in the process of obtaining my Retirement Visa. So I return with my shinny new retirement visa and guess what, the same clerk now told me that I needed a Work Permit! LOL!

I wrote the president of BKK bank and received a prompt reply from a VP advising me that a retirement visa was adequate and to see manager so and so at the same branch.

As luck would have it, the manager was out and I was helped by the same clerk. She reads the letter and starts calling every one in authority she can saying can not, can not. Finally a guy walks over, looks at the letter and says, can you read? just do it. Funny as heck, but it taught me that often Thais in rather low authority positions like to make up their own rules.

:cheesy::cheesy:

Maybe she was Lesbian - she certainly didn't respond to my subtle advances !!! :D

Maybe she was Lesbian - she certainly didn't respond to my subtle advances !!! :D

Oh!! So she was envious of you then?? The plot thickens!! You have a self sufficient Thai lady, now it's all making sense!! It's the makings of a Thai soap :lol: ....

Edited by WarpSpeed

Oh!! So she was envious of you then?? The plot thickens!! You have a self sufficient Thai lady, now it's all making sense!! It's the makings of a Thai soap :lol: ....

I think you have a fertile (furtive?) mind WS - perhaps I have now embellished the story a little too much. :)

You see, discrimination is everywhere in life. I wouldn't tar the name of a multi-billion dollar corporation over an incident you had in an upcountry show room.

As for anyone worried about selling to a Thai in the future, I shall probably run it for 4/5 years and then give it to someone in the family - I am certain that they will not lose face and certainly will not give a dam_n about it not being a Toyota.

That choice will eventually be made by the car owner ;-)

Never had a problem with Toyota, never had a problem with Honda, never had a problem with Suzuki and recently no problems with Mazda, maybe they just did not like the look of you.

If you were intending buying the pick up what would be the problem with giving a 30% deposit anyway!!!

It is not the amount of the deposit, it is the fact that a HIGHER deposit was required because my partner has a Falang boyfriend.

I don't like the look of me but that hardly makes it right that she would have been offered 20% deposit had I not been there !

Is it only me that is offended by this ?

Do you have PR or Thai Citezenship.....if not and you are just on a visa/extension then of course you are a higher risk......Remember Thais that buy on credit are residents and cant run away from commitments as easily as foreigners.....think you may find that in the western world, unless you were working/resident etc, you wouldnt stand a chance of getting a car on credit, so Thailand is pretty much friendly.....

Do you have PR or Thai Citezenship.....if not and you are just on a visa/extension then of course you are a higher risk......Remember Thais that buy on credit are residents and cant run away from commitments as easily as foreigners.....think you may find that in the western world, unless you were working/resident etc, you wouldnt stand a chance of getting a car on credit, so Thailand is pretty much friendly.....

<deleted>! It was the girlfriend in whose name the car would be. It was she that was entering or proposing to enter into a finance agreement, and it was a Thai that was going to provide the required guarantee.

Doesn't anyone read threads before jumping on the bandwagon? :annoyed:

The OP -A Farang -was just a by-stander in effect.. If he had not been there the sale would probably have gone through with a 20% down-payment or even less! :blink:

So what is this if not DISCRIMINATION AGAINST A THAI! :realangry:

Of course they could have gone back to another Toyota garage where the OP was warmly welcomed before, but the damage had been done by then.

And it was still very much an open choice between the Ford and Toyota.

<deleted>! It was the girlfriend in whose name the car would be. It was she that was entering or proposing to enter into a finance agreement, and it was a Thai that was going to provide the required guarantee.

The OP -A Farang -was just a by-stander in effect.. If he had not been there the sale would probably have gone through with a 20% down-payment or even less! :blink:

Of course they could have gone back to another Toyota garage where the OP was warmly welcomed before, but the damage had been done by then.

<deleted>, dosnt anyone read a thread carefully....The OP decided not to go ahead as they wanted a 30%deposit, he is paying for the car and the salesperson obviously knew that, hence the higher risk and larger deposit required

Nah I'm privileged to be the first to display it. That young man was a gentle giant that displayed great patience and tolerance with the punk who continued to instigate and bully until.......................

There's a lesson to be learned for both the young and supposedly mature adults in that..

Think one must watch the whole clip to get the point Warps, which l just have, Ozzy kids eh. :)

<deleted>, dosnt anyone read a thread carefully....The OP decided not to go ahead as they wanted a 30%deposit, he is paying for the car and the salesperson obviously knew that, hence the higher risk and larger deposit required

Clearly you haven't read the thread ESB7 - I was not involved (other than being there) - my missus was paying the deposit and the repayments.

Clearly you haven't read the thread ESB7 - I was not involved (other than being there) - my missus was paying the deposit and the repayments.

So why did you decide to leave if it was not you purchasing.....surely in an equitable partnership your missus should have made the decision to stay or go :rolleyes:

Lots of different scenario's being spouted by the OP though.

[quote

]"she would have been offered 20% deposit had I not been there"

"she would need a 30% deposit "because you have a Farang boyfriend""

"The standard 'risk' with Toyota is to put down 25% then no further questions are asked and a guarantor is not required. Less than 25% deposit and a guarantor is required."

Highly confusing as to what actually happened.

Your original post includes 'I intended to buy a Toyota pick up today'............."I told them to stick it up their asre"..............clearly you have forgotten what you said and contradict yourselfe as you were more than a bystander...............risk goes hand in hand with credit and it was obvious that the funding would be from you, hence the decision

Your original post includes 'I intended to buy a Toyota pick up today'............."I told them to stick it up their asre"..............clearly you have forgotten what you said and contradict yourselfe as you were more than a bystander...............risk goes hand in hand with credit and it was obvious that the funding would be from you, hence the decision

Wrong again.

It was a 'turn of phrase' - "I was going to buy" because I shall be the main driver. There was no risk assessment undertaken, the salesperson was simply stating the terms of business.

I also think you know <deleted> all about credit and risk. Having been involved in credit underwriting for over 25 years i do know something about it. Anyone who thinks that Falang involvement generally detracts from risk appraisal, rather than adding value, is at least one sandwich short of a picnic.

Wrong again.

It was a 'turn of phrase' - "I was going to buy" because I shall be the main driver. There was no risk assessment undertaken, the salesperson was simply stating the terms of business.

I also think you know <deleted> all about credit and risk. Having been involved in credit underwriting for over 25 years i do know something about it. Anyone who thinks that Falang involvement generally detracts from risk appraisal, rather than adding value, is at least one sandwich short of a picnic.

Credit Risk in Thailand is asessed much differently than in the comfort of your 25th floor office in the Western world........there wasnt any racism involved. The salesperson made an asessment and you didnt like it so you went elsewhere....thats it, simples

There was no risk assessment undertaken, the salesperson was simply stating the terms of business.

So there was no discrimination after all, should I hazard a guess in that your not exactly flush with cash and the unexpected extra 5% deposit priced the vehicle out of your budget.

There was no risk assessment undertaken, the salesperson was simply stating the terms of business.

So there was no discrimination after all, should I hazard a guess in that your not exactly flush with cash and the unexpected extra 5% deposit priced the vehicle out of your budget.

Yes. That will be right Spoonman :lol:

Credit Risk in Thailand is asessed much differently than in the comfort of your 25th floor office in the Western world........there wasnt any racism involved. The salesperson made an asessment and you didnt like it so you went elsewhere....thats it, simples

Because you are slow-witted I will stick with it.

Credit Risk fundamentals are the same EVERYWHERE.

The salesperson made no such assessment - I doubt she would be capable. There is no effective assessment In Thailand - it is beyond most, as you have proved - there is POLICY. The policy states (in this case) - 25% deposit nothing else required, otherwise a minimum 20% deposit (with guarantor) - oh! unless you have a Falang boyfriend then you need 30% deposit. Unscientific but very straight-forward.

I don't get this thread.

I can see that you do not 'get this' thread. Not quite sure why you are being slow-witted but let's repeat:-

1. The salesman didn't turn down a sale - we chose not to buy.

2. I believe the salesperson was simply following a script (she may have acted unilaterally but I doubt it).

3. You understand nothing of risk - especially relating to this transaction.

4. You are presumptuous, ill-informed and insulting to suggest that there was a higher risk to this transaction. There were no issues with credit being available. My partner can evidence sufficient capital.ssets and income to satisfy any criteria. That is irrespective of what additional value that I can add - that is not the issue, I don't feature in this other than creating a 'penalty' where the deposit criteria is concerned.

5. Not sure where your brain came to the conclusion that "it was apparent to the..." - how arrogant - I doubt you have the sixth sense to second guess what they had not first-guessed.

6. Your last sentence sums up why you do not get this thread. You really are thick or have not read the core issue - it is about a Thai being discriminated against The reason is almost irrelevant but in this case it was for the offence of having a Farang partner. I suspect, samran, that even you can deduce that had she walked in alone the 'extra' deposit would not have been mentioned.

so lets view the facts,

what is her registered credit rating and how much of a salary does she declare and pay income tax from,

and what has been her monthly turnover in bankaccount each of past 6 months

these questions may have been asked in Thai before she was recommended 30% down. sales staff dont want to waste time on finance deals absolutely not doable

so lets view the facts,

what is her registered credit rating and how much of a salary does she declare and pay income tax from,

these questions may have been asked in Thai before she was recommended 30% down. sales staff dont want to waste time on finance deals absolutely not doable

Before asking stupid and irrelevant questions, why not read the thread.

There were NO questions asked, before the clearly untrained salesgirl came up with a 30% down payment.

COWJAI MAI? <_<

so lets view the facts,

The credit rating was good enough - it was certainly good enough to secure the deal with Ford (although the standard guarantor requirements was there).

I assure you this was doable - the missus had her bank books showing 200k Baht + balances, regular monthly income of 18k - 28k Baht and she took a couple of chanotes with her for good measure. None were asked for.

As I said, the salesperson was just going through a spiel and routine - writing out the spec of the deal and setting out the terms.

Because of my bleating about the 30% 'discrimination' a phone call to a superior had already brought the deposit amount down to 20% but (rightly or wrongly) I had already spat my dummy out and developed negative feelings towards Toyota. We finally pulled out when we were told there was a 6 week delivery timescale.

so lets view the facts,

The credit rating was good enough - it was certainly good enough to secure the deal with Ford (although the standard guarantor requirements was there).

I assure you this was doable - the missus had her bank books showing 200k Baht + balances, regular monthly income of 18k - 28k Baht and she took a couple of chanotes with her for good measure. None were asked for.

As I said, the salesperson was just going through a spiel and routine - writing out the spec of the deal and setting out the terms.

Because of my bleating about the 30% 'discrimination' a phone call to a superior had already brought the deposit amount down to 20% but (rightly or wrongly) I had already spat my dummy out and developed negative feelings towards Toyota. We finally pulled out when we were told there was a 6 week delivery timescale.

There is no standard guarantor requirements, only for buyers with not so good credit score. Last car my GF purchased was a 1,6 million baht Honda Accord with 20% down and no guarantor

regular income over 20k baht/month means tax reciepts should have been presented. 18-28k a month doesnt really make you able to pay +15k a month for a car

in another post you said 500k bankbook, whats it gonna be :rolleyes: